Redwall's "Gray" Characters

Started by Lutra, July 21, 2011, 01:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taggerung_of_Redwall

He portrayed more negative traits, but I'd say they were already there in him. He was all for slaughtering the Painted Ones near (I'm fairly certain) his original appearance.
The later, and clinching, crime he committed of stealing was done to frame Nokko. If I'm not mistaken, he was doing so for the purpose of pursuits he had already demonstrated his antagonistic characteristics in.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

daskar666

He did manage to (to a degree) control his temper and cooperate with the other characters at the beginning.
His approach towards the painted ones, while certainly brutal, was similar to what some of the badger lords did in bloodwrath, as well as some other non-badger characters (although MOST (but not all) had a reason such as characters killing their family).
The reason he tried stealing the doomwyte eye and framing Nokko, is from what I remember his shameful loss in the "insult contest".

Taggerung_of_Redwall

"Battle of Insults" really, as the namesake goes.
But he also injured Aluco and Dwink. Injuring Redwallers beacuse you're humiliated and angry doesn't work well for being a goodbeast.
He wasn't even a Guosim. He cheated his tribe, and forsook all the traditions and honor that made them Guosim.
The effect of that on me when I read it was a strong dislike for Tugga Bruster and his evil nature of discord and disregard for those he was entrusted to lead, including his son in addition to the Guosim.

Matthias720

Is it safe to assume that I'm not the only one who imagined horrible things happening to Tugga Bruster after his crimes had been revealed?

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Quote from: Matthias720 on July 21, 2011, 04:34:53 PM
Is it safe to assume that I'm not the only one who imagined horrible things happening to Tugga Bruster after his crimes had been revealed?

Could you elaborate some?

Matthias720

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on July 21, 2011, 04:39:15 PM
Quote from: Matthias720 on July 21, 2011, 04:34:53 PM

Could you elaborate some?
Something along the lines of Laird Bose giving him the same injuries as he'd given to others as a punishment. I know that's rather blood-thirsty, but I really don't like Tugga Bruster.

daskar666

I always just imagined him getting humiliated and then killed in an undignified manner. Which is what happened really.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

No then, I have absolutely no identification with you. Also, that doesn't seem very Bosie-like.

Matthias720

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on July 21, 2011, 05:09:11 PM
Also, that doesn't seem very Bosie-like.
I know, but I want something bad to happen to him, and bringing in Superman just doesn't fit. :D

Taggerung_of_Redwall

I think Chigid's mate killing him is pretty bad.

Lutra

I think I need to respond to an earlier question, "how much have I read" because I'm seeing characters I don't recognize.  :-\

I have NOT read: Rakkety Tam, Eulalia, Doomwyte, The Sable Queen, The Rogue Crew

I read, but hardly remember anything from: The Bellmaker, The Legend of Luke, Lord Brocktree,

The rest I remember bits and pieces here and there.

I'm very rusty on my Redwall.  Its what happens when you get out of school and work full-time.

__________________________________________________-

So if I'm reading posts right, there's another owl character somewhere who isn't so nice.  Where does that put us with owls in terms of the good/bad species?  Are we saying it depends on the owl kind of like those lizards and other secondary characters?
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Taggerung_of_Redwall

The Redwall Wiki lists 23 owls, though I am not familar with those in The Rogue Crew.

I think owls are only goodbeasts, just with a fair number who practice cannibalism. Not sure how that works, but they were normally very friendly and very hospitable (to goodbeasts) if they were cannibalistic.

Lily

What do you all think about the Gawtrybe from Martin the Warrior? They're squirrels, but they certainly don't act like good beasts when we first see them. They would gladly have killed Martin and his friends if Boldred hadn't been there to stop them. Later, though, they join Martin in the battle of Marshank.

What do you think? Are they good characters who don't understand that what they're doing is wrong, or are they grey characters who are just out for a bit of fun, no matter the cost?

Lutra

^ Ah the Gawtrybe...I don't know why they are the way they are...inbreeding?  :P ???  It really isn't explained why they play their "games" but it seemed that they do it to anyone.  Evil?  They didn't act it.  Cruel and unusual?  Oh yes!
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Lily

They do seem to be... uh... of little intellect. I got the impression they were just extraordinarily silly and didn't think about the consequences of their actions at all. They're like naughty children.