News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Redwall TV series

Started by Firewall978, November 13, 2011, 01:07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you like the TV series to continue?

YES!
Restart the series with better animation
No
There was a Redwall TV series????!!!!!!

Firewall978

For people who did not know that there was a Redwall TV series I am going to have a very short summary for you....

In 1999 the Redwall TV series started. There were 3 seasons. The seasons were of 3 different Redwall Books. Season 1 was Redwall, Season 2 was Mattimeo, and Season 3 was Martin the Warrior. The next one was going to be Mossflower, and I've heard different reasons on why it was off the air, and I am not sure which is true. I could have been that the creator of the TV series ran out of money and couldn't continue, or it could have been that it was just cancelled, like I said I do not know the real reason.

Lutra

^ Nelvana is going strong...they most certainly did not run out of money.  ;)  Couldn't find supporters to carry the series for another season.  Supposedly they would've loved to do another season if the financial support and the markets were there to support a fourth season.

Do I want to see a "Season 4"?  Well, I think at this stage of the game, given how animation has changed in the past 10 years since the last season was made, if you shoot for TV, you might get a really crummy CGI-version.  I'd prefer a full-length film version of Redwall if it could be financed over a lower-budget TV show at this point.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Plugg Firetail

I would want the tv series to continue, but follow the book a little more closely. I don't want clowns, or Matthias running off to a water mill to save Cornflower. It made her seem as if she was a damsel-in-distress. Which she was not. If we were doing Taggerung, I would want Mhera to wear clothes.

Firewall978

They did make a Redwall Movie using Clips from the TV series and cut out those parts to make it more like the book.

I would have liked a season four where Martin Finally meets Gonff the Mousetheif. I wouldn't even mind if they made a movie instead, that way they would make it more like the book.

Skalrag of Marshank

Yeah. For Redwall, they changed a LOT of stuff. I think they followed the book the best with Martin the Warrior, although I do not understand why they changed Skalrag's death ( :'() and Pallum's gender.

I'm all for another season. I wasn't really bothered by the animation quality. (I actually liked how they made MOST of the characters)

I think Mossflower would be really great for a fourth season, in that it picks up where Martin the Warrior left off.

I almost think a TV series would be better, because you can fit a lot more details into thirteen twenty-five minute episodes than you can into a two hour movie.
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Taggerung The Otter

ah'd like tae see that, aye
For GOD so loved the world he gave his only begotton SON so that whoever belived in him would not parish but live eternal life.

Oh yeah...buitiful verse... :D

Tiria Wildlough

I want them to follow the story more closely. I hated Martin the Warrior because:

1. They made the Rose+Martin romance like such a big deal.
2. They made Badrang stab her in the stomach instead of throwing her against the wall. ::)

The other day I dreamed up a movie of High Rhulain. ;D
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Firewall978

I loved the Redwall TV series, but I do agree that they should have followed it more closely.

Skalrag of Marshank

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on November 14, 2011, 09:34:41 AM
I want them to follow the story more closely. I hated Martin the Warrior because:

1. They made the Rose+Martin romance like such a big deal.
2. They made Badrang stab her in the stomach instead of throwing her against the wall. ::)

I know, right? And yet they couldn't show Skalrag getting shot with arrows...I'm sorry if it seems like I'm obsessing over that, but that's how I feel.

I did NOT like the kiss right before the Battle of Marshank. I was like, Where did that come from?! Martin and Rose never kissed in the book.

I still love Martin the Warrior anyway, though. ;D
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Firewall978

The Kiss, plus the fact that the TV series made it seem like Martin Fell in love with Rose the second he saw her, when in the book Martin did not know that he loved her till the end of the book.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on November 14, 2011, 09:34:41 AM

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!!! I loooooved that book!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Folgrimeo

I know that the changes might really bother us because of how fond we are of the books, but I wasn't offended by them. The one exception is their dedication to avoid showing on-screen deaths. Just seemed silly since they dared to have a dead rat in the first season with blood where an arrow struck him.

I'd love to see a fourth season, preferably in the style of the first three. They showed how to do it right in seasons 2 and 3, which were close (enough) to the books. Even though the third season's my favorite, I have to admit the second season seemed to have a better storyline and there's just no competing with Tim Curry's rendition of Slagar.

As for which book I'd like to see adapted, bring on Taggerung. That'd be significantly different enough from the previous seasons while still packing an emotional punch.

SPOILERS ABOUT THE THIRD SEASON!!:

Regarding the third season, I liked the changes (except that Pallum being female was pretty pointless, and Skalrag being tortured by a feather was unintentionally funny). The romance might be blatant, but I liked them exploring it a little since Martin and Rose had the closest thing the series ever had to romance, plus it spells out for the young viewers why Martin would be so broken up over losing her. Not sure why people don't like Rose getting stabbed to death other than it being different from the book, but I think it's far easier to understand that as "she's dead" than throwing her against a wall. Even in the book I didn't buy the excuse that she died from wall impact. It'd have to be hard enough to break her neck or something, imagine communicating that in the cartoon. A sword seems like a more tame way to go. Best of all was the cartoon's ending, Martin did not say the sycamore line and it was a great idea to play Rose's song as they were leaving just to drive home the sadness even more. As sad as the book's ending is, the cartoon was in a special place to visualize it which makes it worth watching.

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: Firewall978 on November 14, 2011, 11:42:21 PM
The Kiss, plus the fact that the TV series made it seem like Martin Fell in love with Rose the second he saw her, when in the book Martin did not know that he loved her till the end of the book.
I was ready to throw up when Martin says 'I was standing right here when she kissed me' or something like that. :P ::) :P ::)
I hate romance.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Coobreedan

I would of loved to see Tsarmina! That would be funny...
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Firewall978

One thing bad about the series would be the fact that they made Squire Julian Gengivere Seem really huge, and that could be a problem for Mossflower, since Martin Did defeat Tsarmina in battle.