News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Spoiler tags

Started by Folgrimeo, September 13, 2011, 08:03:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Folgrimeo

I'm surprised this forum doesn't have a spoiler tag. Even though the Redwall Discussion forum says it has spoilers in it, there are still people who will preface parts of a message with (Spoiler!). Understandable, maybe not everyone's read every book. But any actual spoilers aren't separated or hidden in posts in any way, so a simple glance is enough to have the secret revealed. I'm not sure how standard the tag is on other forum software, but it seems like it's available as a plugin for the SMF software.

An example of a spoiler would be this. If the tag is supported, you'd have to click or highlight something to see the text:
Spoiler
Darth Vader is Luke's father!
[close]

It's just sometimes it's difficult to dance around spoilers using vague text, especially when we're asking things like saddest Redwall moments. It won't stop some people from looking at spoilers anyway, but some events in the series definitely have more impact if you don't know they're coming up.

Lutra

Well it almost goes without saying, if you don't want to know who dies, when, stay out of the "saddest moments" thread. ;)  The
Spoiler
tag might be a board thing with the system...it may not be supported.  Not all systems have it (the old invision boards don't have the feature, but they're built on pretty old code).
[close]
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

The Lady Shael

Yeah... the spoiler tag feature is not built into the board, it's something I'd have to download and install. But it's not hard to do, I'll look into it. :)
~The Lady Shael Varonne of Mossflower Country
http://www.redwallwarlords.com/

Coobreedan

That's good, 'cos I was looking round and suddenly, someone says *spoiler*, and I usually read it 'cos I can't help it. Luckily they were bits I already knew.
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Tiria Wildlough

Yeah. That's how Salamandastron and The Legend of Luke were spoiled for me. :(
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Coobreedan

That's a shame. Yeah, it would be good like it is on the Kirby Wiki (yes, I had to bring Kirby into this) where it says:

Spoiler alert: The following section contains plot-specific details. (Skip Section)

Darth Vader is Luke's father!

Spoilers end here.

They have another one like this:

Spoiler alert: Plot-specific details are within this box (Show)
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Tiria Wildlough

Or we could have something like this:
[Legend of Luke spoiler]Ranguvar Foeseeker dies[/spoiler]
But I haven't the foggiest idea how you could do that. It was just an idea.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Coobreedan

People go a bit mad with it though. They put spoiler boxes within spoiler boxes within spoiler boxes within spoiler boxes on the forums I go on.

Trigoma

^ i do that. er, but spoilers would be helpful. to answer you tiria, its possible to put names for your spoilers. they dont have to program it. i would just have to remember how -_-
"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time...that is up to you."
—Happy Mask Salesman