News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The most random thread ever!!!

Started by Icefire, July 04, 2011, 04:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Quote from: Mask on December 06, 2014, 02:40:29 AM
I just told my dad that I wanted to get a short haircut. His response: "This family doesn't have much of a reputation, but we do have some. I don't want you ruining it."
Is it bad that I laughed at that?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rusvul

Quote from: Delthion on December 06, 2014, 03:17:33 AM
Just because it usually doesn't look right on a girl. Just sayin'. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

'Right' is subjective. The Aztecs believed it was 'right' to slaughter humans to keep the sun in the sky. Male medeval European rulers believed it was 'right' to treat women as property, and white American colonists thought it was 'right' to treat black people as property. Both sides of every civil war that has ever existed have thought that they were 'in the right,' in almost every case both sides of every war have thought the same. Nearly everyone who has done anything they felt strongly about has thought that it is 'right,' though many actions contradict one another.

'Right' is subjective.

Delthion

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on December 06, 2014, 04:39:45 AM
Just because it usually doesn't look right on a girl. Just sayin'. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

'Right' is subjective.

*Sigh.* Yes, I know, of course it is subjective! What else would it be?!
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Maudie

Quote from: The Skarzs on December 06, 2014, 04:22:08 AM
Quote from: Mask on December 06, 2014, 02:40:29 AM
I just told my dad that I wanted to get a short haircut. His response: "This family doesn't have much of a reputation, but we do have some. I don't want you ruining it."
Is it bad that I laughed at that?

Nah. It's fine.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Rusvul

Quote from: Delthion on December 06, 2014, 04:56:52 AM

'Right' is subjective.

Well, it could be objective. But it isn't.

@Mask: *siiighhhh* People sometimes. Does it actually matter to anyone other than you how the heck you cut your hair? Will it affect anyone adversely? Does anyone have a reason to care except their personal preference, which is subjective, should have (In personal and harmless choices such as haircut) only the meaning and weight that you assign to it, and shouldn't be forced upon you?

*ahem* Sorry. This is the kind of thing that bothers me, despite the fact that I've never really been on the receiving end of it...

Delthion

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on December 06, 2014, 05:09:11 AM
Quote from: Delthion on December 06, 2014, 04:56:52 AM

'Right' is subjective.

Well, it could be objective. But it isn't.

@Mask: *siiighhhh* People sometimes. Does it actually matter to anyone other than you how the heck you cut your hair? Will it affect anyone adversely? Does anyone have a reason to care except their personal preference, which is subjective, should have (In personal and harmless choices such as haircut) only the meaning and weight that you assign to it, and shouldn't be forced upon you?

*ahem* Sorry. This is the kind of thing that bothers me, despite the fact that I've never really been on the receiving end of it...

You do realize that you are doing exactly what you are speaking against? You are speaking out against others saying that something is right or not. But you are doing exactly the same thing!
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Rusvul

..Hm. Touche. I think. Let me think for a moment...

..Okay. So I suppose I believe it is right to not impose your restricting personal beliefs on others when they do not agree and there is no good reason to.

So if Mask's dad says 'Short hair on girls is bad, you can't have short hair,' that's imposing a belief about short hair on Mask for no good reason. Mask having short hair won't hurt anyone. This is not reasonable- By denying Mask, nothing is gained and something is potentially lost.

If Mask's dad said 'Stabbing people is bad, you can't stab someone,' that's also imposing a personal belief- But for a very good reason. If you stab someone, it hurts them a great deal. That is entirely reasonable- By denying Mask, something is potentially lost, but something more valuable (a human life) is potentially preserved.

So let me revise my statement: I believe that imposing a personal belief about something as trivial and harmless as a haircut on someone else who does not share your opinion is wrong- That can hurt them, while allowing them to have their way will hurt no-one.

(While this may be a debate, I'm quite enjoying it. If you aren't, please tell me. Don't want to cause any problems- I just like talking about ethics. By the way, have you heard of the trolley problem?)

Delthion

Yes, but what right do you have to discern the difference between the two?

Rusvul

Quote from: Delthion on December 06, 2014, 05:27:26 AM
Yes, but what right do you have to discern the difference between the two?
Well... I suppose I'm (theoretically at least, I'm not likely to change anything) imposing a belief on... someone... But is it likely to hurt anyone? Is it unreasonable to suggest this belief? More importantly, is it likely to gain anything?

Delthion

No, but I'm just saying, when do you have the right to choose what is harmful to people and what is not?

The Skarzs

I feel one thing here that is emanating so strongly: Bias.
Mask should respect her father and not cut her hair; what she does with her hair when she is out of the house can no longer be his concern. Respect for parents is a sign of love, and disobedience can tear families apart. Now yes, no one is perfect, so her father undoubtedly has things that he thinks differently about that others, and probably things that others think 'aren't right'. Despite this, if it is not going to damage anything, Mask should still obey her father.
I hope everyone has the same respect and love for their own parents to understand what I am trying to say here.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Maudie

I agree, Scarzs, but I think that just because I should be obedient to them doesn't mean I can't reason with them. Rus had some valid points that maybe I could share with them. Just because they are my parents doesn't mean I can't try to get them to see my side of the question. But I do need to respect their final answer.

Anyway, we could just turn this back into the goofy thread it used to be.  :)
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

The Skarzs

Quote from: Mask on December 06, 2014, 05:55:55 PM
I agree, Scarzs, but I think that just because I should be obedient to them doesn't mean I can't reason with them.
Of course.

I'm drinking coffee.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Maudie

I just brushed my teeth. :o (With an electric toothbrush, cause that's one of perks that comes with braces.)

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: The Skarzs on December 06, 2014, 04:30:23 PM
I feel one thing here that is emanating so strongly: Bias.
Mask should respect her father and not cut her hair; what she does with her hair when she is out of the house can no longer be his concern. Respect for parents is a sign of love, and disobedience can tear families apart. Now yes, no one is perfect, so her father undoubtedly has things that he thinks differently about that others, and probably things that others think 'aren't right'. Despite this, if it is not going to damage anything, Mask should still obey her father.
I hope everyone has the same respect and love for their own parents to understand what I am trying to say here.
I agree. My take on this is that if your haircut is so short (or so long) that you get mistaken for the opposite gender a lot, then you probably need to do something about your hair.

Anyway...

I've read some LotR today...
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien