News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The most random thread ever!!!

Started by Icefire, July 04, 2011, 04:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conrad the Painless

*I get sucked into the hole* Curse yoooooooou!
"Our Lord and Savior.....The Easter Badger, shall pierce the darkness with his scepter and  guide us through the night...."

Delthion

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Wylder Treejumper

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on December 06, 2014, 08:07:21 PM
Quote from: The Skarzs on December 06, 2014, 04:30:23 PM
I feel one thing here that is emanating so strongly: Bias.
Mask should respect her father and not cut her hair; what she does with her hair when she is out of the house can no longer be his concern. Respect for parents is a sign of love, and disobedience can tear families apart. Now yes, no one is perfect, so her father undoubtedly has things that he thinks differently about that others, and probably things that others think 'aren't right'. Despite this, if it is not going to damage anything, Mask should still obey her father.
I hope everyone has the same respect and love for their own parents to understand what I am trying to say here.

Ah. I believe that this is a fundamental difference in philosophy. It seems you think that one owes one's existance to your parents, and that you should honor them when possible- Obediance and trust (where it is due, at least) before reason and freedom. I think I'm correct there, but by all means correct me if I'm wrong.

I, on the other hand, think otherwise. I owe my parents respect and kindness, so long as they return it, and I help them where I can. I don't owe them a debt. They're not my superiors, they might be my elders but not my betters. By having a child I think that you agree to sacrifice a lot for them, to help them where possible, and to let them be their own person when they need to. The child's wish comes before yours with trivial things, and in any decision related to them their opinion is just as valid as the opinion of anyone else. Of course, as a parent, it's your job to prevent them from getting in too much trouble. All about respect, mutual respect. Reason and freedom before obedience and trust.

However, with more important things- when it is likely to affect the child negatively, or cause a significant problem- then being more strict makes sense. Protecting a child for their sake and restricting them for your own sake are entirely different things.

My ethics, my opinion. Doesn't have to be yours.

I agree with Skarz. However you feel about it, you actually do owe a debt to your parents. Your parents care for you, pay for you, raise you, teach you, feed you, house you, clothe you, etc. And it can not be argued that the family is not "the parents'", as they are the ones providing and protecting. While I may not share an opinion as to enforcement of the haircut, though I personally don't like them, it is within the father or mother's authority to rule out such things.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Jukka the Sling

Aggghhh!!! I just read a bunch of spoilers for the upcoming Hobbit movie on TheOneRing.net! I couldn't help myself... but now I really wish I hadn't read 'em. So much tragedy just got ruined for me... :'(
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

The movies are just money-makers anyway; you'll live.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Maudie

Skarzs, sometime you remind me of Redwaller. Not right now, but sometimes.
If you don't know who Redwaller is, you've got some forum history to read up on, buddy.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

The Skarzs

I know who he is; I just don't see how I could possibly remind you of him.
Perhaps I shall take a moment to look at his posts.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Maudie

*Ahem* she is a he.

Nevermind, you changed it.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: The Skarzs on December 11, 2014, 12:00:31 AM
The movies are just money-makers anyway; you'll live.
True... but I like them anyway. At any rate, if I'm allowed, I'll see it, spoilers or no.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

Can't believe that made the shortest book into three movies. ::)

Quote from: Mask on December 11, 2014, 12:06:25 AM
*Ahem* she is a he.

Nevermind, you changed it.
I was confused with redwallgirl. :P And yes, I did fix it when I remembered.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: The Skarzs on December 11, 2014, 12:18:06 AM
Can't believe that made the shortest book into three movies. ::)
Have you seen them? If so, what's your opinion of them (as movies, not how close they are to the book)?

Jetthebinturong

I know you were asking Skarzs but I feel like answering

I loved An Unexpected Journey but hated Desolation of Smaug. Despite the awesomeness of Smaug himself it was excruciatingly painful to sit through the constant boring and repetitive fight scenes.

In relation to the book: THE BLACK ARROW CHANGE IS THE WORST AND MOST STUPID CHANGE JACKSON HAS MADE TO MIDDLE EARTH
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

The Skarzs

Y'know, that's pretty much how I feel, especially with the black arrow thing.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Yeah, the black arrow thing was a kinda unnecessary change, but it served to make Smaug scarier and more of a threat, 'cause he can't be killed with a regular bow. And maybe there was a little too much Orc fighting, but the barrel scene with Legolas balancing on the dwarves' heads was pretty cool, IMO (even if a bit farfetched).

Delthion

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on December 10, 2014, 11:47:37 PM
Aggghhh!!! I just read a bunch of spoilers for the upcoming Hobbit movie on TheOneRing.net! I couldn't help myself... but now I really wish I hadn't read 'em. So much tragedy just got ruined for me... :'(

Sorry...
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.