News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

The most random thread ever!!!

Started by Icefire, July 04, 2011, 04:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Delthion on December 11, 2014, 02:57:53 AM
Quote from: Jukka the Sling on December 10, 2014, 11:47:37 PM
Aggghhh!!! I just read a bunch of spoilers for the upcoming Hobbit movie on TheOneRing.net! I couldn't help myself... but now I really wish I hadn't read 'em. So much tragedy just got ruined for me... :'(

Sorry...
XD Well, the tragedy I meant specifically was the manner of Fili's death, which isn't even shown on the theatrical version.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Rusvul

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on December 10, 2014, 10:25:04 PM
I agree with Skarz. However you feel about it, you actually do owe a debt to your parents. Your parents care for you, pay for you, raise you, teach you, feed you, house you, clothe you, etc. And it can not be argued that the family is not "the parents'", as they are the ones providing and protecting. While I may not share an opinion as to enforcement of the haircut, though I personally don't like them, it is within the father or mother's authority to rule out such things.
It is within their authority, yes. And in this case it is not a particularly big problem. But just as surely as disobedience can tear a family apart, so can overly restrictive rules to the point of holding a child back from being themselves and thinking freely.

The Skarzs

Not all parents have said "overly restrictive rules", and rules will not stop people from thinking.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Delthion

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Rusvul

Quote from: The Skarzs on December 11, 2014, 03:30:59 AM
Not all parents have said "overly restrictive rules", and rules will not stop people from thinking.
Indeed, not all parents do. And perhaps not, but they can be limiting without good reason, and they can be entirely and unnecessarily arbitrary. I suppose if all agree upon rules, then they're fine... But I think that with a person who relies on you, there's almost always a better way than to force them to do or not do things without giving them any say.

Delthion

But that's not obedience, if you all agree then it's not actually obedience. If you don't want to do something and you do it anyway, THAT'S obedience.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Rusvul

Obedience for its own sake accomplishes nothing. I'll do just about anything my mom asks me to, but if it's a particularly strange request, I'll probably ask for a reason. I don't like blindly doing anything, and there doesn't seem to be any good reason to.

Elizebeth

Boo!
And Delthion our mom told us that yesterday and the day before and the day before and... you get the picture. :)

Delthion

Yes. But still, it isn't actually obedience unless it is not agreed.

Just a minute. We're in an debate.

Rusvul

Are you saying agreeing on rules to make sure they seem reasonable to all involved is negative? I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at.

Hi, Elizabeth. As you can probably tell, my views differ from others on the forum. I suppose you could say I'm not very traditional.

Delthion

But how are you going to survive if you don't learn how to do that early in life? What if you don't want to do what your boss is telling you to do? Do you do it, or not?

Delthion

The Mask

Wait, are you Del's sister? Anyway hi.
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Rusvul

Of course you do. Because you are being paid for it, and it's your job. But as I've said, obedience for its own sake is pointless. I can be obedient when necessary, I don't need it constantly hammered into me for no other reason than to make me learn it.

(Am I correct in assuming that this is still a calm debate? I don't want to cause problems.)

Hi, Elizabeth. Do you mess with Delthion a lot?