News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The most random thread ever!!!

Started by Icefire, July 04, 2011, 04:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delthion

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Rusvul

Good, that is good. This is not something that is worth making anyone mad about. I would worry about spam, but... Well... Look at the title of the topic, I'm not sure you can go off topic here. XD

The Mask

What if you started talking about related stuff? No no, that wouldn't work.
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

The Skarzs

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on December 11, 2014, 03:47:04 AM
Obedience for its own sake accomplishes nothing. I'll do just about anything my mom asks me to, but if it's a particularly strange request, I'll probably ask for a reason. I don't like blindly doing anything, and there doesn't seem to be any good reason to.
Who said anyone blindly obeys? Of course we can question it; there is nothing and no one that can say that our parents aren't perfect and don't make mistakes. We should obey them unless what they tell us to do is wrong. Yes, I've asked why they want me to do something, and they have given me reasons.
Obedience is an expression of love; it is also a commandment of God to obey our parents, as well as a way of disciplining ourselves. "Discipline? How awful!" No. Discipline can make a person think clearer, act better, and make a better person than someone who goes with every whim they have; discipline requires one to obey their better judgement.

Disobedience leads to rejection of authority. That rejection causes disorder and decay. Ultimate outcome: calamity. Thinking for oneself is good: It makes leaders. However, if no one listened or obeyed when it was necessary, there will be chaos.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rusvul

QuoteWho said anyone blindly obeys? Of course we can question it; there is nothing and no one that can say that our parents aren't perfect and don't make mistakes.
Okay. Understood.

QuoteUnless what they tell us to do is wrong, then we should obey.
Umm... I'm assuming that's intended to be inverted?

QuoteYes, I've asked why they want me to do something, and they have given me reasons.
Okay...

QuoteObedience is an expression of love;
Be that as it may, love itself is more valuable and can be expressed in other ways.

Quoteit is also a commandment of God to obey our parents
Okay, I can respect that, I suppose, though it is not relevant to me, personally.

Quoteas well as a way of disciplining ourselves. "Discipline? How awful!" No. Discipline can make a person think clearer, act better, and make a better person than someone who goes with every whim they have; discipline requires one to obey their better judgement.
I'm not sure I agree with all of the connections drawn here. Obeying your parents is a way of disciplining yourself... Ehh, I suppose... And discipline makes you a better person... Depends entirely on the type of discipline and how it is administered, it could be positive or it could be restrictive, or, at the worse end of the spectrum, scarring.

Regardless, what you're saying is 'Obeying your parents makes you a better person, improves thinking, and improves judgement' which doesn't seem like an entirely logical conclusion.

QuoteDisobedience leads to rejection of authority. That rejection causes disorder and decay. Ultimate outcome: calamity. Thinking for oneself is good: It makes leaders. However, if no one listened or obeyed when it was necessary, there will be chaos.

This can be true. But it isn't always. Eating a cookie when you know you're not supposed to might be against the rules, but it won't make you an outcast of society.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying obedience is bad. It certainly isn't, to a point. I'm saying that if it's excessive, forced, disagreeable, or arbitrary, that it can be unreasonable, and potentially negative. All things in moderation. Except not all things, because some things are just bad no matter how moderate. Arsenic, for example. Many things in moderation.

The Skarzs

I am in full agreement with that last statement.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rusvul

I would be surprised if you disagreed... Arsenic is pretty much universally bad.  ;)

Maudie

I think basically the best thing for a good parent/child relationship is specific rules that allow the child to stretch out and broaden their scope, but still keep them in good influences and a beneficial mindset. The rules have to be rules that aren't totally restricting, but still demand some effort from both parties. When rules are broken, consequences must follow.
Just my 2ยข.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Izeroth

I absolutely hate what PJ tried to do with Tauriel/Fili. It was never in the book, and it never had to be in the movie. I wouldn't have necessarily minded the addition of Tauriel alone, but the fact that they had to put in some sort of stupid thing with Fili... Was too much for me. PJ had the oppertunity to make some great movies, and he squandered it.

The Skarzs

I know! It's just. . . just. . .
GAH!!!!
He ruined The Hobbit.

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on December 11, 2014, 05:11:46 AM
I would be surprised if you disagreed... Arsenic is pretty much universally bad.  ;)
Tasty.
Well actually, there are homeopathic remedies that use arsenic, and they're rather helpful. :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Izeroth on December 11, 2014, 05:37:01 AM
I absolutely hate what PJ tried to do with Tauriel/Fili. It was never in the book, and it never had to be in the movie. I wouldn't have necessarily minded the addition of Tauriel alone, but the fact that they had to put in some sort of stupid thing with Fili... Was too much for me. PJ had the oppertunity to make some great movies, and he squandered it.
*Kili
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

One other thing I don't like about the Hobbit is that Jackson decided to call Oin and Gloin Oyn and Gloyn when the accents clearly make them say O-in and Glo-in
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

The Skarzs

Yeah.

WHY U CHANGE SO MUCH, MOVIE MAKERS?! D:< (That question was rhetorical.)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Faiyloe

I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Maudie

There should be superhero called What If We... Man, who, every time a filmmaker says "This part in the book is great but what if we..." comes and smack him on the head with a book. ;D
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3