News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

The most random thread ever!!!

Started by Icefire, July 04, 2011, 04:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainshadow

Quote from: The Skarzs on December 22, 2014, 07:58:27 PM
I don't know if I want to watch it; the two previous movies have ruined it. . .

In my opinion, the third film was the best of the trio.  That may be because I don't remember the end of the book, and thus wasn't able to compare the film with it, but I'd say it wasn't too horrible.  I was rather pleased with the ending, though.  Not the very ending (although that was pretty good), but *SPOILERS* when Bilbo goes back to Bag End.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Rainshadow on December 22, 2014, 07:32:21 PM
  I watched The Battle of the Five Armies yesterday, and you shoulda heard me and my friends mocking it as we were sitting in the theatre.  Yes, we enjoyed it, but there were certain emotional parts that were just ruined for us because we were too busy laughing at each others' jokes.
Which emotional parts in particular?

I liked it, but all of the battling was a little tiring, and sometimes I couldn't focus very well on it 'cause everyone was running around so fast. Alfrid was hilarious, though, and *SPOILER* when Fili, Kili, and Thorin died, I teared up, even though I knew it was coming.  :'(

I was rather surprised that they had Dain Ironfoot use a semi-bad word, though. That never happened in any of the other Middle-earth movies.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Søren

When you guys start talking Lord of the Rings, I'm like Jukka when we start talking about the finer points of Star Trek.

I'm retired from the forum

Jukka the Sling

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Rainshadow

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on December 22, 2014, 10:43:31 PM
Quote from: Rainshadow on December 22, 2014, 07:32:21 PM
  I watched The Battle of the Five Armies yesterday, and you shoulda heard me and my friends mocking it as we were sitting in the theatre.  Yes, we enjoyed it, but there were certain emotional parts that were just ruined for us because we were too busy laughing at each others' jokes.
Which emotional parts in particular?

The Battle of the Five Armies (and Kung Fu Panda)
  Well, almost every death, to be honest.  :P  At Kili's death, when Tauriel's crying and speaking to Thranduil, both me and my friend where whisper-shouting at Thranduil to kill Tauriel while she was down.  (Neither of us are big Tauriel fans, and we both didn't like the Tauriel/Kili romance.  Me because it wasn't anything like that in the book, and my friend because she has a crush on Kili.  :P)

The other time we were laughing was at Thorin's death.  When Azog was under the ice and Thorin was watching him, my other friend was going, "Dude, don't follow him!  He's just gonna stab his sword up through the ice and kill you!"  And then he basically did.  We then started laughing at the fact that Thorin got to take a nice little stroll before he died, and I made both my friends laugh by saying that I had been hoping he'd go out epically, like falling off the cliff.

So, yeah, that was two times that we started laughing when everyone else was tearing up.  All three of us also did a "...What..." at the scene with Galadriel going all green and warding the Necromancer off, and every single person in our group was really bugged that they didn't do much with the worms.  Seriously, that's all we could talk about afterwards.  Not how great the movie was (aside from some parts that bugged me), but that THEY COULDA USED THE WORMS SO MUCH MORE!  I mean, think about it: worms popping up underneath the other armies, taking a huge bite out of the numbers.  Worms making tunnels around the battlefield, causing the ground to collapse underneath the armies.  THE WORMS COULDA BEEN SO AWESOME!

Oh, and the other part that bugged me was the scene with Legolas on the bridge, when he was jumping up the bricks and stones to keep from falling to his death.  I get that it looked cool, but all I could think about the entire time was Kung Fu Panda, when Tai Lung was escaping from prison.  :P
[close]

Yes, I'm warning about Kung Fu Panda spoilers.  'Cause I can.  Aw yeah.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Jetthebinturong

Yeah, pretty sure everyone knew what was coming with the ice

Spoiler

The part with Galadriel was an awesome scene, don't forget that she does that in Fellowship as well when Frodo offers her the ring. Though I'm not entirely sure of the details, the attack on Dol Guldur is what is said to have kept Gandalf from going with them so that was lore-accurate.

I was kind of annoyed that Thorin didn't die with Orcrist in his hands, I think that was very important as he gets it back as he dies as a way to show the elves honouring him.
[close]
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Jukka the Sling

@Rain: I hope you didn't bother anyone else in the theater with all of your joking around... XD

@Jet: You sound more positive about the movie than I would've expected.

TBotFA
I kinda have a crush on Kili too (what girl wouldn't? :P), but I wouldn't want Tauriel to die....

In TBotFA and TFotR, when Galadriel's all green and freaky, I say that she's "loving and despairing". :P

Yeah, they could've used the worms a lot more, but for some reason I didn't feel like they belonged in Middle-earth. Dragons, yeah, orcs, yeah, but those were-worms didn't feel right.

YOU SERIOUSLY WEREN'T SADDENED AT ALL BY THE MAIN THREE DEATHS? O_O  Okay, a lot of times when we watch movies at home, my siblings and I make fun of any death scenes (mostly to prevent ourselves from crying - but we never did that with LotR), but weren't you saddened at all? :P
[close]

Delthion

The books are EXTREMELY superior to the movies...
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rainshadow

@Jukka:  ...I don't have a crush on Kili.  I didn't have a crush on Fili, either.  Or Thorin.  Or Legolas.  Or really any of the characters.  If I had to choose one, probably Bilbo, but that's only because I like Martin Freeman's acting.  Not really physical appearance at all (although, I will admit that he doesn't look unappealing), just the way he acts.  :P

And no, we didn't bug anyone, 'cause the film was loud and we were being quite quiet, mostly conversing in hand gestures and whispers.  (We were sitting in the back, too, so no one could see us waving our hands in disgust or cheering or anything.  ;))

TBotFA
  Saddened by the three deaths?  Nah.  I knew what was coming, so it didn't really shock me.  The only time I came close to tears was when Bilbo was crying beside Thorin, but then my friend said something funny and I couldn't help but smile.  :P
[close]

Maudie

I get to go to an actual ball on Saturday. I've actually never really been to a dance before. I'm excited! Except I don't know how to dance and it's a fancy ball. Oh well.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Jukka the Sling

@Rain: Lol, guess you're a lot more... emotionless? than me with crushes and death scenes. :P

Jukka the Sling

Double post, yeah, but I just had to share this video.

Sylvester McCoy (Radagast), Dean O'Gorman (Fili), Elijah Wood, and Peter Jackson make appearances!

Maudie

I was recently told that Rus and I make a good couple.

Okaaaaay...........
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Delthion

Honestly, you kind of do...he is the rational, sometimes insane geek. You are the always insane tomboy.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.