News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

The most random thread ever!!!

Started by Icefire, July 04, 2011, 04:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mask

I've never watched FMA, I've read all the manga though. What specifically about the ending did you hate so much?
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Rainshadow

Quote from: The Mask on February 12, 2015, 07:32:42 AM
I've never watched FMA, I've read all the manga though. What specifically about the ending did you hate so much?

Aha, there's your problem.  See, FMA:B sticks to the manga storyline (at least, that's what I've heard), but the original 2003 anime branches off into its own story.  The ending of the anime and the manga ending are totally different, I'm willing to bet.

FMA ending
  I haven't made it far enough into Brotherhood to know if they delve into the parallel worlds idea, but in the Fullmetal Alchemist anime, it ends with Al becoming the Philosopher's Stone (if I remember correctly, Scar transfers his tattoo (which has the markings to help create and harness the Stone) onto Al's armour), then Envy kills Ed.  Al freaks out, somehow (it's been awhile, so I don't remember exactly what all happens) all the homunculi either die or run off, and then Al uses up the Stone to bring Ed back, arm and leg with him.  Al dies in the process, and Ed immediately tries to bring him back.  He succeeds in bringing Al and Al's body back, but because of equivalent exchange, he "dies" (gets dragged through the Gate and sent to Germany) while doing it.

So, yeah, Al shows up in the body he lost when they tried to bring back Trisha, and he has no memory of anything that's happened since that moment, other than what everyone tells him.  Meanwhile, Ed is stuck in Germany with no way to return to Amestris.  It.  Sucked.

At least Conqueror of Shamballa fixed it... ish.

Conqueror of Shamballa
  They have this whole deal with a portal being opened between the two worlds and the Nazis trying to destroy Amestris.  It ends with the brothers defeating the group of Nazis and Ed going back through the portal to Germany (while Al is protesting) so he can destroy the portal from that side.  Little does he know that Al snuck aboard the plane while Ed's back was turned and came through the portal with him.  So they were both stuck in Germany.  Without their friends.  Without alchemy.  BUT AT LEAST THE WRITERS DECIDED TO LET THEM STAY TOGETHER THAT TIME!
[close]
[close]

...I didn't like the way FMA ended.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

The Mask

I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Rainshadow

Quote from: The Mask on February 13, 2015, 05:57:37 AM
WHAAAAAT ???

I know, right?  I seriously hope Brotherhood has a better ending than the original.  Once I finish it, we'll have to compare notes and see if the ending of Brotherhood and the manga ending are the same.  :P
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Jukka the Sling

Who here clicks on the blue 'new' button to see the replies on a topic since their last visit?
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Rainshadow

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on February 15, 2015, 12:30:19 AM
Who here clicks on the blue 'new' button to see the replies on a topic since their last visit?

*Raises hand*  Guilty.

Delthion

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Søren

Yup.

I'm retired from the forum

Banya

You're not alone.

Delthion

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Mhera

I don't use the blue button, as it seems easier to aim for the page numbers on a smart phone.

Søren

Quote from: Mhera on February 15, 2015, 05:30:33 AM
I don't use the blue button, as it seems easier to aim for the page numbers on a smart phone.
It is. But I like it that it skips to the bottom automaticly.

I'm retired from the forum

Maudie

Wait, you can click on the blue buttons? I never knew...
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Rainshadow

I accidentally figured it out one day and it's really helpful.  :P

Maudie

I figured out that by clicking "Subject" in a board the threads will line up in alphabetical or reverse alphabetical order. Quite handy, actually.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3