News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

The most random thread ever!!!

Started by Icefire, July 04, 2011, 04:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Amarith Waterspring

That is sort of the point of this thread.. :P

Weirdness.

By the way, I am wearing socks.
Rosie is weird,
Violets are weirder,
I can't rhyme,
Potato.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Cornflower MM on October 13, 2015, 04:10:25 PM
Quote from: Lord_Ashenwyte on October 13, 2015, 07:11:33 AM
I'll be getting Twilight today. *Shudders a little* It'll certainly be an experience. I do have backup in the form of Kim and The Canterbury Tales if it's too bad.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! And for heaven's sake keep an open mind, okay? You don't even know if you like the book or not until you actually READ the darn thing. Don't take other people's opinions and make them your own without ever reading/watching/doing/whatever it. Okay? Because that's just stupid. "Don't judge a book by it's cover." What happened to that, huh people?

I have seen the movies though, and they are utter garbage. I can't say anything about the books, but I dislike the movies.

Also, I think Christopher Columbus is the wrong man to celebrate a holiday for. That man was terrible.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

The Skarzs

He was a bad man for government, but other than that he was far from "terrible".
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

James Gryphon

Quote from: The Skarzs on October 14, 2015, 04:07:08 PM
He was a bad man for government, but other than that he was far from "terrible".
I'm not sure we're talking about the same person.

Aside from being erroneously credited with discovering America, his "accomplishments" consist of the completely unprovoked mass murder, enslavement and inhuman abuse of the comparatively defenseless natives.
« Subject to editing »

The Skarzs

What mass murder, hmm? What inhumane abuse? How many slaves were made?

When he arrived in the islands, Columbus sailed around looking for the mainland, poking around for gold or other valuables, and did nearly nothing with the natives other than a few who stayed on his ship to be brought back and shown to the king and queen of France. When he sailed back he left only a small group of forty men to found a settlement, who were themselves all killed shortly after his departure, which he learned in his return in later years. The only accounts of slavery were of black slaves brought from Africa; the natives people escaped far too easily. Even then, Columbus was governor of his own place for a very short time, and replaced by other men who were more slavery-prone than he was.
While the blame may not lay entirely on him, the questions of ill-treatment and disease cannot be shunned away since he is looked to as a symbol of the finding of the new land. He may have been an unpleasant person, but he was not a terrible man.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Søren

This is pretty much my favorite gif right now. I can use it for so many, many things. Lurking the Presidential Candidate thread in Cavren Hole, Looking around to see if V has shown up yet, accidentally going into the "Girls thread", looking over after at someone who walks out of the bathroom without flushing, etc.

I'm retired from the forum

Rainshadow

If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Søren

I'm retired from the forum

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Sagetip, the hare on October 13, 2015, 06:25:36 PM
I'll be getting Twilight today. *Shudders a little* It'll certainly be an experience. I do have backup in the form of Kim and The Canterbury Tales if it's too bad.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! And for heaven's sake keep an open mind, okay? You don't even know if you like the book or not until you actually READ the darn thing. Don't take other people's opinions and make them your own without ever reading/watching/doing/whatever it. Okay? Because that's just stupid. "Don't judge a book by it's cover." What happened to that, huh people?

No kidding. It's annoying.

Quote from: Vilu Daskar on October 13, 2015, 06:29:37 PM

How do you know they didn't read it.

Because they proudly say so! And say they'd not touch the books with a ten foot pole!

Quote from: Lord_Ashenwyte on October 14, 2015, 06:52:08 AM

I have seen the movies though, and they are utter garbage. I can't say anything about the books, but I dislike the movies.

Why are they utter garbage? Seriously. Give me one good, valid reason.

James Gryphon

@Skarzs: I'll respond later, when I get a convenient time.

Quote from: Cornflower MM on October 15, 2015, 12:30:36 AM
Doesn't whatshisname disassemble the girl's car to keep her from escaping leaving him? That takes things up to a whole new level of creepy.
« Subject to editing »

Cornflower MM

And I am so sick of hearing about that! And the fact that the vamps sparkle! And Bella's visions in New Moon - Which, by the way, is my least favorite book. Because Edward is a total idiot, it features Jasper as a crazy bloodthirsty mindless monster, and she acts like a mindless brainless idiot. Which is another thing I'm sick of hearing about. If people would just read the first book, and judge for themselves! I don't care if they read it and decided they didn't like it AFTER - That's totally fine, because they judged for themselves and in fact I've done the same thing. And, James, Edward took apart Bella's car to keep her form going to La Push, which is the shapeshifter's territory and he IS a bit too overprotective. (In fact, is annoyingly so. But that only makes Bella more relatable. And he does get better.)

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Cornflower MM on October 15, 2015, 12:30:36 AM
Quote from: Sagetip, the hare on October 13, 2015, 06:25:36 PM

No kidding. It's annoying.

Quote from: Vilu Daskar on October 13, 2015, 06:29:37 PM

How do you know they didn't read it.

Because they proudly say so! And say they'd not touch the books with a ten foot pole!

Quote from: Lord_Ashenwyte on October 14, 2015, 06:52:08 AM

Characterless protagonists (c'mon, Bella doesn't even smile at her freaking wedding), terrible acting, forgettable villains, glaring plot holes, plot inconsistencies, Jacob imprinting on a child, the terrifying CGI baby/kid, awful shot composition in BD, cop-out ending.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Jukka the Sling

I mean, they sound kind of interesting (I read up on stuff on the official wiki), but I also think SOME aspects are rather dumb (and I've heard a lot about various plot points).  Like, why does Bella fall for Edward when, besides his looks, there's nothing attractive about him?  (I mean, he's undead!)
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien