"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The most random thread ever!!!

Started by Icefire, July 04, 2011, 04:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornflower MM

Heard it all before.

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on October 15, 2015, 01:01:21 AM
I mean, they sound kind of interesting (I read up on stuff on the official wiki), but I also think SOME aspects are rather dumb (and I've heard a lot about various plot points).  Like, why does Bella fall for Edward when, besides his looks, there's nothing attractive about him?  (I mean, he's undead!)

Jukka? Welcome to the real world. Most girls are braindead idiots who develop big crushes on the 'cute' - Oh, excuse me, 'hot' guys.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Yes, but the books present immature crushes as "true love" and a basis for a stable marriage.  And they present their whole relationship as awesome and desirable.  Doesn't Edward sneak into her house at night to watch her sleep or something?
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Søren

Me during the whole conversation that just went down:

(THIS GIF IS FOR EVERYTHING.)

I'm retired from the forum

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on October 15, 2015, 01:14:01 AM
Yes, but the books present immature crushes as "true love" and a basis for a stable marriage.  And they present their whole relationship as awesome and desirable.  Doesn't Edward sneak into her house at night to watch her sleep or something?

Yes. But then she knows about it. And yes, that does sound faintly creepy. `But, look, read the books or don't. I don't care. Judge them or don't. I even care anymore, because I am so sick of hearing about it. 'Oh, the vampires sparkle, so the books are trash!' 'Oh, I know someone who knows someone who has a sister who has a cousin who knows someone who knows someone who said that the books are really badly written, so I'm not even going to TOUCH the books!' 'Oh my gods, he sneaks into her room and watches her sleep?! And he rips apart her truck?! Yeah, no, I'm not ever, ever, ever, EVER going to see if that's actually true and if it IS, what the reason are behind it!'

Slightly exaggerated? Yes. But only slightly. Honestly! Sometimes, I feel ashamed for having the Twilight series be on my top ten favorite series list. And that's just pathetic. And sometimes, I feel like punching my computer screen because people just can't let someone enjoy something without destroying everything that makes it so cool! I don't even have anyone to talk about the books with. Because you all can be such prejudiced stubborn mules!

And, Soren, you're doing the smart thing.

Change of subject now?

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

Good for you.

You know what? I'm just going to go destroy some graphs now in math. Because I actually do feel like this:

Quote from: MeAnd sometimes, I feel like punching my computer screen because people just can't let someone enjoy something without destroying everything that makes it so cool!

The Skarzs

Welcome to the internet. :P You should see some of the rage wars in the comment sections I've seen. . .
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

Yeah, no kidding. ::) Can you believe people actually start those on purpose?

James Gryphon

Yeah, nobody should ever read those. ;) (Though for some reason I keep doing so anyway.)
« Subject to editing »

Cornflower MM

Yeah, it is strangely addicting watching other people argue. Sometimes over the silliest things.

The Skarzs

They're internet trolls, is what they are.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Cornflower MM on October 15, 2015, 01:21:15 AM
Quote from: Jukka the Sling on October 15, 2015, 01:14:01 AM

Yes. But then she knows about it. And yes, that does sound faintly creepy. `But, look, read the books or don't. I don't care. Judge them or don't. I even care anymore, because I am so sick of hearing about it. 'Oh, the vampires sparkle, so the books are trash!' 'Oh, I know someone who knows someone who has a sister who has a cousin who knows someone who knows someone who said that the books are really badly written, so I'm not even going to TOUCH the books!' 'Oh my gods, he sneaks into her room and watches her sleep?! And he rips apart her truck?! Yeah, no, I'm not ever, ever, ever, EVER going to see if that's actually true and if it IS, what the reason are behind it!'

Slightly exaggerated? Yes. But only slightly. Honestly! Sometimes, I feel ashamed for having the Twilight series be on my top ten favorite series list. And that's just pathetic. And sometimes, I feel like punching my computer screen because people just can't let someone enjoy something without destroying everything that makes it so cool! I don't even have anyone to talk about the books with. Because you all can be such prejudiced stubborn mules!

And, Soren, you're doing the smart thing.

Change of subject now?

I'm not saying that it's wrong to like Twilight, loads of my favourite youtubers love it, and I still take their book recommendations. What I'm saying is that to pretend that it isn't a deeply flawed work is disingenuous. Things can be entertaining and still be flawed. Like Doctor Who. Glaring problems in a lot of places but it's still my favourite TV show.

Have you seen the Shadowhunters TV series promo footage? I posted it with a mini review in the thread if you're interested.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Cornflower MM

Oh, I don't doubt there's big problems. Everyone rails on them all the time. (Except for the sparkly vampire thing. I rather think it was cool of Ms. Meyer to do something new and original.)

Hmm, no. I'll go do that now that I've slaughtered some graphs.

Izeroth

Quote from: The Skarzs on October 14, 2015, 04:27:57 PM
What mass murder, hmm? What inhumane abuse? How many slaves were made?

This link might provide some insight into the matter: http://www.history.com/topics/exploration/columbus-controversy

Here's a fact: Before Columbus landed on Hispaniola, somewhere from 100,000 to 250,000 natives inhabited the island. Sixty years later, a few hundred were left.