News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The most random thread ever!!!

Started by Icefire, July 04, 2011, 04:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cornflower MM

Jukka the Sling

Oh, I know, right?  I don't understand why atheists would want a church!

Joking aside, it's just a bit of fun. XD ;)
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

Atheist churches are an invention of Christians.  ::)

I personally found him slightly funny, but he seems to fundamentally misunderstand atheism. Also, what happened to his voice in the Darwin song?
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on November 14, 2015, 12:00:12 AM
Oh, I know, right?  I don't understand why atheists would want a church! *Facepalm* Use your brain. There's no such thing.

The Skarzs

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on November 14, 2015, 12:10:07 AM
Well, if we invented it, I certainly haven't heard of it. :P It would definitely go against what atheists believe/think.

I personally found him slightly funny, but he seems to fundamentally misunderstand atheism.
Not sure atheists fully understand Christianity either, though. Besides, he wasn't trying to make a point, he was trying to amuse people.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Cornflower MM on November 14, 2015, 12:12:00 AM
Quote from: Jukka the Sling on November 14, 2015, 12:00:12 AM
Oh, I know, right?  I don't understand why atheists would want a church! *Facepalm* Use your brain. There's no such thing.
You know, that was rather rudely put and entirely uncalled for. :-\  Honey, why don't you go and Google "atheist churches"?  I'm not responsible for proving everything to you.

Um, why would Christians take their time to invent an atheist church? :P  Atheist churches actually exist, though they don't necessarily sing parodies of Christian songs, of course. ;)
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on November 13, 2015, 11:09:26 PM

I actually smiled a little at that, but I'd imagine that it would be offensive to atheists.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Lady Ashenwyte

The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Jukka the Sling

^ Lol!

I am a bit disappointed by this....  All I did was post a lighthearted satire video, and I didn't expect this reaction at all. :(

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on November 14, 2015, 02:01:54 AM
^ Lol!

I am a bit disappointed by this....  All I did was post a lighthearted satire video, and I didn't expect this reaction at all. :(

You do have be careful when talking about religion online.

Jukka the Sling

I posted a video poking fun at aspects of modern Christian music several days ago on this same thread, and no one - no one - was offended.  All I did here was post another video.  Can't people take a joke? :P

James Gryphon

A different video talking about atheism, in a community that has unfortunately hosted numerous friendly discussions debates fights between religious and non-religious people.

There is a 'slight' difference between that and the subject of the other video.
« Subject to editing »

Jetthebinturong

I didn't watch the other video, as it wasn't relevant to me.

That guy's style of humour just isn't my thing.

Well the first time I heard the term "atheist church" was from Westboro or some other crazy sect like them, when they were "talking" to an atheist, who told them there was no such thing. As far as I'm aware "atheist church" is a label slapped onto places or people which are focused on evolution by crazies like Westboro. The idea of an "atheist church" seems to go against the idea of atheism. Maybe it's a name they give themselves as a form of mockery? I don't know.

"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

James Gryphon

Maybe it just isn't a thing where you live (although there's a BBC story about one that used to gather in North London). There were a couple of news articles talking about it when they first started popping up over here. There's even a Wikipedia article about one organization here. This obviously isn't a large percentage of the atheist population, but Christians didn't make this up.
« Subject to editing »