News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The most random thread ever!!!

Started by Icefire, July 04, 2011, 04:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on December 29, 2015, 03:06:30 AM
No. Morty is like the Latin Mort meaning "death" and I derived Thane from Thanatos, the Greek death god. Warren has war in it and Warner means "warrior". Fabian is the only F name I can think of. Page is a bit like "plague" and Perseus means "destroyer".

I'm quite sure Hades was the Greek god of death, and Thanatos was a daemon personification of death.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Jetthebinturong

Hades is the god of the Underworld and the dead. Thanatos is the god of death. Much like Anubis is the god of the dead and the Duat, but Osiris is the god of death.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Rusvul

Hmm. Thane sounds pretty cool for death, Morty sounds rather obvious, and nonthreatening besides. Sean also makes a degree of sense- Slay comes from old English slean, drop an L and it's Sean. That also doesn't sound very threatening, though.

For War, I think Mar might be cool. Not only is it a word in its own right, (meaning 'destroy or disfigure', as war is apt to do) but it bears a similarity to Mars.

Famine. Idk... Fames is the Latin root that famine is derived from, meaning 'hunger.' Not sure what to do with that, though. Fortunately, Google and Greek mythology can come to the rescue. Limos was the Greek godess of hunger and starvation. I think that works pretty well.

Pestilence comes from Latin Pestis, meaning 'plague.' Not really sure on this one.

James Gryphon

The Youtube tags are broken right now, but this will make it look better later on.
« Subject to editing »

Hickory

OKAY!!! I ADMIT IT!!! I STALK PEOPLE WITH THE WHO'S ONLINE FEATURE!!!!
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Norham Waterpaw

I DID MY WAITING! 12 YEARS OF IT, IN AZKABAN!
Hey you! What? Expecting a great quote or some heart-warming poem? Too bad, my signature is just boring. Stop reading it. Stop it. Why are you still reading it?

Hickory

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Delthion

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Russa Nodrey

Freddy

Vilu Daskar

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Russa Nodrey

Freddy

Vilu Daskar