I'm retired from the forum

Rosie Willowwater

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Cornflower MM on May 10, 2017, 02:35:12 AM
Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on May 09, 2017, 07:30:03 PM
Ach, tae tva zin'z-
Ze Deaz Defyin' Beaverz bein' back, und-
Ah juzt finizhed zchool fer ziz zemezter! *Daez an 'appy Weasel dance*
Ze lazt clazz vaz a theatre clazz in vhich ah vaz tva zhort playz, vone vhere ah get zhot tvoice, die, und zen get dragged offztage, und ze ozer vone in vhich ah am vearin m Kilt und Fourz Doctor Zcarf. Major!

That sounds like a fun class. Can I join? :P

Taae late, it avready ended...Meanvhoile, back at ze ranch....*Lookz aboot* Ah...Apparently...Nozin', az far az it zeemz... *Zree Tumbleveedz blov by* Ach...
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Jukka the Sling

If any of you want to die of laughter/facepalming/fear for the future, just read the one-star Amazon reviews for Treasure Island.

Some gems:

Quote from: reviews sectionBad book
Do not read
Do not make a second one
But good luck next time
I will not read again

Quote from: reviews sectionconfusing, odd, what is really happening? I am not sure. what is the gist or even the main idea? there isn't one. and, by the way, teach English at one of the top 10 high schools in the country. DSST in Denver, CO.

Quote from: reviews sectionNobody should read this it's a terrible book that we should burn in a dark and small box inside a tree

The replies to some of these are totally hilarious.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

Seriously? For Treasure island? That's a classic!
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Maudie

"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Jukka the Sling

*does so*

The awkward thing is, I sort of agree with some of the LotR reviews, in that TFotR rambles and is somewhat boring in places - *coughs awkwardly* - but I still wanted to yell at some of the one-star reviewers.

This one made me want to punch something:

Quote from: LotR reviews sectionforced to read this for school I love reading but this book just bored me to sleep read the hunger games

Like, dude, I don't think you deserve to use the internet after that.

And then there's this review from 2002 (trimmed a bit 'cause it's a long paragraph):

Quote[...] J.R.R. Tolkein, like many other conservative academics, had a creative mind, but was much more of an analytical author than he was a storyteller. After seeing and loving the movie before reading the book, the book was a real disappointment. Most of the parts of the movie that I enjoyed were not even in the book to begin with! The scene where Merry and Pippin accidentally set off the dragon firework is not there. The scene where Bilbo and Gandalf are outdoing each other with smoke sculptures is not there. The gripping battle between Gandalf and Sauron was not there either! These were all things that would have picked up the pace of the novel tremendously if they had been there. They would have indicated real CHARACTERISATION as opposed to dry description and journalistic chronicle. [...]

Okay.  Maybe the person has a few good points.  But THEY'RE BASICALLY HOLDING THE BOOK ACCOUNTABLE FOR NOT INCLUDING SCENES THAT PETER JACKSON INVENTED OUT OF THIN AIR.  *facepalm*

Not to mention... Gandalf never fought Sauron.

James Gryphon

Perhaps they got Sauron confused with Saruman.

It's been a while since I read the trilogy, but I didn't have any problem with it, particularly FotR. I think the reason I like it so much is that it's still very similar in tone to "The Hobbit" (which is probably my favorite of Tolkien's works).

This is the first post I've made in a while.
« Subject to editing »

Lady Amber

Ugh, what even? *Facepalms* Some people are just stupid.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah juzt finizhed vatchin' ze zecond "Hobbit" movie....Ach...
Spoiler
Zey ztill 'ave Smaug aloive!
[close]
Spoiler
Zey are gaein' off intae complete ozer zin'z zat are nae in ze book!
[close]
Spoiler
Ze Dvarvez 'ad gone intae ze moinez...Vhy are ze Dvarvez gaein' intae ze moinez?...Zey ne'er did zat in ze book!
[close]
Vone More
Zey 'ave ztretched a vee little book intae ziz giant unnecezzary dumb trilogy!
[close]
Me Mum vaz particularly annoyed at zem fer ze lazt vone. Av Ah can zay aboot zem iz...Ach...
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Lady Ashenwyte

They really dumbed down the Lord of the Rings and made it an action movie for teenagers, rather than conveying the tones of the great literary work of Tolkien.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

The Skarzs

How can you convey that work of words into picture? There are some parts that put feeling into the reader that a movie is incapable of doing.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Søren

I lose my music for one month and that's the month Fall Out Boy releases a new song

I'm retired from the forum