News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The most random thread ever!!!

Started by Icefire, July 04, 2011, 04:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maudie

Bad decisions were made on all accounts. :D
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

The Skarzs

This is all very disturbing and disappointing, and if there was a point to its construction. . . It has not had the desired effect, and was detrimental instead.

Why can people not speak what concern they have aloud instead of coming up with a convoluted plan to make an obscure point? Had it been spoken plainly this all could have been avoided.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

James Gryphon

Because it was Kitsune.

We only figured that out very late in the game (after the thread was locked, in fact, and even after my post I made earlier about their identity). He was using a different IP from his regular account's, but at some point made the mistake of using it on Kitsune, and that triggered the recognition on our user tracking.

I will say that there's a difference between 'suggesting they could be a troll' and "If this user is somehow not a troll, multi, or spammer, I'll eat my dog with a rusty spork and blow my own brains out." ;)

As far as Kitsune is concerned, while I'm not a fan of discussing member's punishments to the public, as I normally feel that it is not your business, I will clarify on this matter that we have decided, considering this and numerous other incidents, to ban him for an extended (but not permanent) length of time. Feel free to PM me or another staff member if you have questions about this decision.
« Subject to editing »

LT Sandpaw

The moral grandstanding is what's getting to me in all of this.

Anyway, @James Gryphon  could you green light my post in the hearth please?

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Gonff the Mousethief

Alright, so here is my take on it. Not to add coals to this fire, but...

I think that there is a big difference between knowing someone is a new member and seeing a troll. How many bots have there been on here trying to promote stuff or just post random things? Quite a few. And time after time we see them gagged, banned, or gone altogether. This has created a "The Boy who Cried Wolf" situation; almost numbing us at this point. Now take a new member. If they have bad grammar, aren't the best at typing, etc. So what? If they go out to post and talk with others and act like a member and not a bot, then why not think of them as a new member? The Soery guy proved two things. The first is we know how things like this go down. The second is we know what someone who is willing to be a member is like. Now the Soery guy tried selling a mattress. But along with that, he had a username of numbers, put random letters after stuff claiming he didn't know English well, and made little effort to do anything besides sell a mattress. That kind of stuff, time and time again, has gotten people kicked off. What if he was real? What if he was just trying to sell a mattress? Think about that. Everything was so obvious from the start. Bashing people because they took these signs and read them right is what is wrong here.

I'm just really ticked off about all of this. I am trying to keep my cool, but I don't know if I want to really. Everytime something like this happens, and we all get separated, there are those who speak one opinion which people think about and draw to. Listen. Not everyone has been nice to me here, and not everyone will be. We are used to somethings. So when stuff like this happens it just ruins a schedule of sorts. I just, gah. If I really wanted to say what I want to I will end up just like Kit. You know what though, I'll say most of it anyway.

I looked through those posts and saw people reacting as people. Oh man, this guy is probably a troll. Whoop Dee Doo. Now to have all sorts of things such as backseat moderating and being brash come up is just outrageous. I really thought this place could have more sense than that. I can't say anything else in any other way. Everything I have said will have responses of "Well Gonff, Redwall would taken in a Vermin", or "We are Mods, we know the rules and will settle them," or "What ifs are a real thing Gonff, act like they are." My thought is just stop it. Stop it. We had ideas. We acted as people would have. And to be punished for that my people yelling back at us thigns we supposedly did? Who is really wrong? Now I'm going to do the cliche "Maybe I should just leave" bit, because why not? Hmm? Not like I'll be here any longer.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Jukka the Sling

Deep breath, guys.

@Kitsune  Believe it or not, I can kind of understand why you did this.  Not entirely, but partly.  I've been tempted myself at times to make a second account for other reasons.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

James Gryphon

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on May 23, 2017, 10:38:37 PM
If I really wanted to say what I want to I will end up just like Kit.
That's pretty doubtful.

I don't feel like going into all of it right now, but there's a long, long list of things got us to where we are today. I don't know what more I could have done to avoid punishing him than we did without coming off as unreasonable.

As far as the rest of it goes, though, I do think you're forgetting something. When people keep leaving, and others say things like "The atmosphere of this place has changed", and accusing us of being toxic and such, we take that kind of thing very seriously. This forum has been a passion for me, an all-consuming sort of interest, and there's very little that bothers me more than things going wrong here.

So, we tried to crack down on that. We tried to convince people to do things differently. Be nicer, treat other people better, give them the benefit of the doubt even if they probably don't deserve it. When this thing went down, that was the gist of our response. Mind your own business, don't tell us to ban somebody, we'll deal with it.

And now apparently that's wrong too.

People have been talking about leaving for months and years now. Somebody today probably did. But you know what, I can trump all of you. How about if I leave and then everyone can be happy again.
« Subject to editing »

The Skarzs

Anyone leaving is not going to solve anything. In fact, it will only worsen the situation, for themselves, and for the forum itself.

I have been reading a book called You can if you think you can. In it there is a lot that has to do with positive thinking, and how negative thinking impacts everything negatively, your job, your family, and even your health. The more you expect negative things the more negative things tend to happen, not because negative things only happen to negative people, but because the positive people don't notice how trivial they often are. Because there has been a lot of negative recently, it has just comounded, and if our attitudes do not fix then it will become worsened.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

So there is no room for realists, we must all give the benefit and be cheery even when the situation is blatantly obsurd and has gotten people banned before.
Somebody did a social experiment with the intent to irritate us and now the mods are irritated that we're irritated. And we who got irritated and saw it as it was are the horrible perpetrators for saying something.
Alright.
Gotcha.
Definitely understand.

...My tail.

Søren

A month without uploading he comes back with a tag...

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Anyway, I missed this whole thread, so I'm not going to give any two cents on it. From what I've seen, everyone is upset. I hope it all works out soon, because you guys are like family to me. The mods work hard, just like everyone else does and they all want Redwall to be a nice place for everyone on the internet, not just some people. :)

I'm retired from the forum

The Skarzs

Quote from: Ashleg on May 23, 2017, 11:29:19 PM
So there is no room for realists, we must all give the benefit and be cheery even when the situation is blatantly obsurd and has gotten people banned before.
Somebody did a social experiment with the intent to irritate us and now the mods are irritated that we're irritated. And we who got irritated and saw it as it was are the horrible perpetrators for saying something.
Alright.
Gotcha.
Definitely understand.

...My tail.
I did not say that. But if you want to be a realist then you must realize that we cannot change the past. We must look to the future, and our mindset, and the actions we take with that mindset, be they positive or negative, are going to be big contributions to what that future looks like.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

...On the upside of this whole thing, can we all at least agree that @Kitsune's posts were hilarious?

(I told my mom about the whole thing, btw, and she thinks we're all taking this too seriously.)
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Russa Nodrey

Freddy

The Skarzs

Got me so distracted after lunch I drilled the holes on the wrong side of the post.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.