News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The most random thread ever!!!

Started by Icefire, July 04, 2011, 04:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delthion

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Jukka the Sling

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Søren

I'm retired from the forum

Aimless Gallivanter

im gay!!!!!!

The Skarzs

"Adulting" would probably be easier for people if they actually used real words.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

a crumb

I cannot describe my hatred for that word.

James Gryphon

« Subject to editing »

The Skarzs

If you can call the thirty year olds who play Pokemon actually living life.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Andy

Ya can't take life too seriously. Some parts of it are too serious by default. Being silly sometimes isn't always a bad thing.
Only actions can speak the truth.

James Gryphon

« Subject to editing »

Wylder Treejumper

Adulting is a terrible word, and I will tell you why: adulting is a verb. But you don't "do" adult[ing], you become an adult. Thus, adulting is often a word that people who have no desire to be mature use to describe acting mature. Don't get me wrong, being silly is fun and all that, and having the heart of a child is a wonderful thing, but your character has to be greater than that of a child. The word "adulting" blurs that concept, and I find that to be a dangerous admission.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Andy

Language is a thing that evolves and changes as people change, and words do not imply anything about a person's character or maturity without other words to help them convey a point. I, personally, use the word "adulting" because it is faster than saying "working a job, paying bills, taking care of a child, buying groceries, and doing the other things that need doing." What's more dangerous than using words that might cause people to assume you're immature is assuming anything about a person based on their use of a single word. Words only have the meaning and power we give them.
Only actions can speak the truth.

MeadowR

Quote from: The Skarzs on September 05, 2017, 05:51:11 PM
If you can call the thirty year olds who play Pokemon actually living life.

Nothing wrong with that, as long as it isn't constantly! I won't feel ashamed at 30 (which is becoming insanely close... ohgod, I'm ancient here XD ;__;) if I want to get out the ol' Game Boy Colour and have a play of the enjoyable, for any age(!), games. ;D
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Wylder Treejumper

@Andy: I'm generalizing here. I realize that the word is often used humorously, and I would never make the assumption that someone is immature because of their usage of that word. Rather, I'm pointing out what I consider a disturbing trend in society, of which the word adulting is only a particular manifestation and not the issue itself.

(Also, I edited my previous post to make clear my original intention)
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.