News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The most random thread ever!!!

Started by Icefire, July 04, 2011, 04:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Søren

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on January 30, 2018, 09:08:14 PM
I finally took the written test and got my permit!

And then I drove part of the way home in our fifteen-passenger van, which I've never driven in before.  Not to mention that the only times I've driven on actual roads have been rural-ish ones at night.  Anyway, it was absolutely terrifying.

At least the written test was super easy.
Congratulations Jukka!! :D :D
Sounds scary! My first time driving was on the interstate in a Toyota Tundra pickup, during rush hour traffic. You'll get used to it quickly, don't worry. You won't be white-knuckling it forever.

I'm retired from the forum

The Skarzs

You will if it's stick shift in rush hour traffic.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

Thanks, guys. ;D  Your experiences sound terrifying. O.O

My dad has always told me that I should learn how to drive a stick-shift, but at this point it's all I can do to just drive, so I dunno how I'd learn to change gears at the same time. :P

The most embarrassing thing I did driving yesterday was when I was turning right at the first intersection I came to (lots of cars, although I did have a green light), and I turned way too tight and almost ran into the right curb on the cross street.  I took my foot off the gas and kinda hiccuped/paused as I straightened up and then got through, but I felt like such a dweeb and could only imagine what everyone else around/behind me was thinking. XD :P  Luckily the majority of the route home was straight through after that.

I really want to practice driving with our Montana minivan more, since it's so much less intimidating.  Hopefully I can use it for the actual driving test.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

The Skarzs

Yeah, it happens.
I remember turning left into the oncoming lane one time.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Krantor the Brutal

Don't forget the critical driving error in turning left.
"Friends, if I advance, follow me! If I retreat, kill me! If I die, avenge me!" - Henri de la Rochejaquelein

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jukka the Sling

My grandpa's not doing well at all, so we just drove for 17 hours at once to get to Oklahoma to visit him.  It was exhausting.  Got here at six something Central.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Chipster of Noonvale

I hope your grandfather's health improves Jukka...

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Søren

I hope he gets well soon Jukka :-/ If you need to talk, I'm always available

I'm retired from the forum

The Skarzs

Ironic that the most active member of late was a bot trying to get you to "buy passports, ID cards, drivers licenses".

And they aren't even trying to be sneaky about them being fake. "FAKES 100% IDENTICAL TO GOVERNMENT ISSUED DOCUMENTS". Jeez.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Grond

Well look at the forum's new posts by month stats. New post creation seems to have gone into steep decline beginning in November 2017- that month had almost half the number of new posts as the previous one. It doesn't appear to be improving- rather the opposite actually.

The Skarzs

It's a self-perpetuating decline. :/ Less posts means less reactions, resulting in less posts.

I need to get my rear in gear with some RPs, but it's up to the other individuals to help if they want activity.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Wylder Treejumper

I think the problem is the new member pipeline has dried up. Us old members can't hang around forever, we rely on the fact that new members will come in and take our place. But, we don't seem to have gotten near as many really active new members in the past year as we have previously. Unfortunately... this happens. :P
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Ashleg

Including existing members makes them want to stay. And post.