News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Announcements Response Topic

Started by Matthias720, November 11, 2013, 05:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maudie

Dang. I kept forgetting that I needed to write it. Sorry James, I'm sure Skarzs story was worthy of the prize, though.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

The Skarzs

Wow, okay; didn't think the changes would take place so suddenly.
I must say I saw this coming; his other works are worthy of praise, despite their lack of it, and the forum did need a bit of a change for a bit.

I would like to ask: Will the RP board still stay up on its usual place? Not only would it be hard to do a role-play in the world of the Castaways due to the real-life events they take place in, and the characters staying the same throughout the whole series, but it would be strange to compress such a large board into the confines that the Redwall boards will be in.

EDIT: Gosh dang it. . .
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

James Gryphon

Hi The Skarzs,
We would like for people to appreciate Mr. Jacques' Castaways series in the same way that they have his mice books, down to making RPs in the same setting, but the RP board will continue to be run as it has been. If you have a RP based on the mice books, that RP will remain open, and you can make new RPs based on them as well.
« Subject to editing »

Dannflower Reguba

Okay look, I'm having a difficult time not blowing a stack right now. What's the name of the site? Redwallabbey.com! I came here to talk about Redwall, people find this site because of Redwall, now you're one step away from taking Redwall out of it! From what you've described, ALL things Redwall are being reduced to EVEN LESS than what's currently up for Jaques secondary works. Who thinks of Castaways when you say the name Brian Jaques? I don't know anyone who does, unless I'm missing something, this is absolutely outrageous!
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

James Gryphon

Hi danflorreguba,
What you've mentioned, the lack of recognition for Mr. Jacques' other works, is exactly what we would like to remedy. We've set the mice books on a pedestal for a long time, but he's written more and done more than just that. Rest assured, though, that there will always be a place to discuss all of Mr. Jacques' works here. We aren't removing anything from this page, we're simply moving the spotlight to focus on another part of his work, namely, Castaways.

As far as the sub-board goes, it's necessary that we do it that way, to prevent the hundreds of topics currently in the book discussion forums from drowning out all the discussion about Ghostly Tales, Urso Brunov, etc.
« Subject to editing »

Dannflower Reguba

Hang on a sec, nevermind, I knew the April Fools thing started with the ridiculous names and such, but is this seriously the theme? Even as a joke I personally don't think something like this is appropriate. Making a joke about a forum take over is fine, but making a joke out of changing everything the Forum has stood for all these years isn't right.

EDIT: More of a pet peeve than anything else, but why on Earth did you do it a day early? Like, come on, you're ruining the whole spirit of the idea.

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Dawnwing

Quote from: danflorreguba on April 01, 2015, 05:33:50 AM
EDIT: More of a pet peeve than anything else, but why on Earth did you do it a day early? Like, come on, you're ruining the whole spirit of the idea.
April 2nd would be an odd time to announce it! The announcement was posted at 12:30 AM GMT, April 1st, 2015.  (Not everybody lives in the same timezone. ;) )

Dannflower Reguba

Out of curiosity, who actually reads the Castaway books? I got one awhile back, but never read it.

The Skarzs

I read the first two, Castaways of the Flying Dutchman and Angel's Command, and while I enjoyed those, the third one kinda never grew on me, so I didn't finish it. I can recommend Angel's Command, as that one was the best of the two I read.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

CaptainRocktree

I just finished the 1st one and am getting the 2nd one today  ;).
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R Tolkien

Jukka the Sling

I read most of the first one, but got bored with that and just went on to read the two others. From what I can remember, I think The Angel's Command was the best, though the third one was good too. (I really need to reread them...)
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Mhera

I've read all three; I didn't like Voyage of Slaves (the third one) as much as the first two but I still enjoyed them all.

Banya

Danflor, if it matters to you, I highly recommend the books; they're filled with the humour, songs, and adventures that I love in the Redwall books.  I love all three of the Castaways books, though I wish I knew more about the pair's adventures prior to 1896.  The ship's failed voyage and the mission entrusted to Ben and Ned by the angel is an interesting and wonderful premise for the series.

Hickory

This is weird.

I went to get all three of them at my library, and guess what? I forgot to bring my library card.

Like a boss.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

LT Sandpaw

I liked them, they were good books, The first one was a bit confusing when it skipped like two hundred years but you know, it works. :-\

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro