News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

What was your reaction to BJ dying

Started by Log a Log Grenn, June 11, 2011, 06:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bananagirl

Yeah i know how you three feel, he was even in my state at one point but i didn't get to meet him, i have a friend that did and they have a signed book too*sigh* so unfair  :'( i was going to send a letter but i never got to it. now i wish i had  :-[

hex

I found out months and months afterwards. It was weird to think... to know about it.

Superdreuzel

I was really saddened of learning of his death. I read and reread the four books that were published here in the Netherlands over and over again, and found out about all of the English books much later on. When I got my first job last summer, I used my salary to buy every last one of the redwall books. Jacques got me reading and thanks to him, I discovered I had a talent in writing.

I know you cannot read this, but thanks. Thanks for the wonderful stories you provided us with!
Hmm ... Dolohov ...

Redwall Musician

I found out a couple days later. My friend told me. At first I was okay. Then I realized what happened and was sad that night going to bed. 
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Trigoma

i found out tht day from my bro. he told my mom and my mom told me. i was so sad cause i though "what of all the other great books he could still hav ein his head. they will never get out!" so i was sorta depressed. but thts life and u have to deal with it!
"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time...that is up to you."
—Happy Mask Salesman

Lily

I'd been skiing in Nagano over the weekend, so I found out on the 7th. Like most people, I was just shocked at first. I grew up reading his books, the Redwall series had a huge part in awakening my love for reading. Then I was devastated for his family and all those who his stories touched over the years.

I still haven't been able to bring myself to read The Rogue Crew yet. It's been sitting on my Kindle since it came out, but I just can't do it. I don't want it to be over!

Martha Braebuck

Well, it was in the morning a couple of days after the 5th, so like, the whole morning I tried to cry quiet, but I just couldn't hold it back because I was super duper sad.
R.I.P. Brian Jacques
~Love, •*Martha*•

Whoohahahahooh!! ~Hon Rosie's awesome laugh!

"Fate 'n fortune smile on us,
and of this crew take care,
but let no greedy robber try,
to guzzle up my share!"

Silas

DanielofRedwall

Received mostly negative reviews.

Storm

My dad told me when he was reading the paper. I didn't believe him at first. Then I went to my room and cried for a while. When I was done, I tore the notice of his death out of the paper. It's taped next to my mirror so I can look at it every day. To those that are don't want to read the rouge crew, you should. I just didn't read the last chapter. When I'm upset or mad I read a redwall book. It's one way that will always get me to calm down. To BJ, thank you from the bottom of my heart. You wrote my favorite books.
Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears.
I have come to bury Caesar, not praise him.
"Julius Caesar" by William Shakespeare

1camTEG

My Mother called and told me a while back... I was heartbroken:(

SpringWitch

Being from Australia I didn't find out until about a month after it happened, and was very saddened by it, although perhaps not entirely surprised, since he'd had heart problems before as I recall.

I haven't read either the Sable Quean or the Rogue Crew yet, and I'll admit I wasn't planning to. I hadn't enjoyed the last few quite as much as I had the others (Not that I didn't like them still, but I hadn't REALLY enjoyed one since High Rulain), but when I heard the news I decided that I would, since it would be a shame not to have the whole collection, especially now he's no longer with us. Actually, I think the Sable Quean sounds excellent. I heard the Rogue Crew was supposed to be the last Redwall book regardless (I read it on here before the website got updated). So while its good to know the series was wrapped up beforehand, its sad to think about what could've come next, but won't.

Captain Tammo

I don't like to use the word "dying" because it makes it appear that mr. Jacques is gone forever, which to me is far from true. Heroes live on forever.
Thank you mr. Jacques!
-Luke
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Lord Brocktree

I saw his death on a facebook ad, not believing it, I rushed to this website and saw the news. My first thoughts were obviously very sad, I mean I read this guy's books since elementary school, middle school, and highschool, and have not stopped reading them since! I then watched some videos of him speaking at bookstores and on his tours. He was a very witty man and loved kids. I regretted never getting to send him a fan letter or getting to meet him, though I did join the Redwall Reader Club before his death ,luckily. No one in my family had really read Redwall, but they knew how important it was to me and they were very kind to me and were truly sad that my favorite author had died.
"An' if on an empty tummy I'm slain,
Then I'll jolly well never get killed again,
So pass the pudden an' fetch those pies,
An' I'll give the foebeast a rotten surprise!"

Deogolf

I was pretty bummed. I love his stories (Redwall and Flying Dutchman) and had a chance to meet him about 4-5 years ago at a book signing - a great guy and very entertaining. I need to pick up his last Redwall novel; but, thankfully, he left us a great series of books that can be visited time and again too.