News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

What was your reaction to BJ dying

Started by Log a Log Grenn, June 11, 2011, 06:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galedeep

Believe it or not, it was only about last month I discovered that he had died. I was pretty shocked, at first I didn't believe it. But when I found out it was true I started reading all my redwall books. In them I discovered that there was a statement he used a lot when a character was mourning   another character's death. A wise creature would tell the the mourning character, "I'll bet he's mad that your just sitting here and not enjoying life on his account.". Or something along those lines. I suggest we read and enjoy his books and remember him that way not because of his death. Thank you.  

Osu

I'd thought I'd already replied to this thread. :O

My initial reaction was disbelief, followed by sadness. What's even worse is that I'd hoped to meet him in Dallas for the first time - very disappointed I never got the chance to talk to him, truly.

Others have said it better than me, so I'll leave it at that.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Unknown

I check this official website everyday. Two days after the 5th, there was the message of Mr. Jacques passing. I couldn't quiet understand what my eyes were reading, or my mind refused to believe the words. I read the message three times before it finally sank in.  . . . I burst into tears.

AakashB

I remember seeing the news as I was browsing the internet. At first I dismissed it, but when I quickly went to his website I discovered the terrible news. I was really shocked and couldn't really take it in. I was distraught the whole day.

I just finished reading Doomwyte and it really hit me then. He is, and forever will be my favorite author. I just wish I had a chance to meet him in person or wrote to him.

sabretache5611

Disbelief.  Thought it was an internet scam then i checked and then i groaned...No more redwall abbey...no more salamandastrom...no more sea roving...i never found out what happened to mariel and dandin...no more Castaways of the Flying Dutchman....i was shocked and sad...
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

rakkety tam

Quote from: Log a Log Grenn on June 12, 2011, 11:09:06 AM
I know this has nothing to do with BJ dying
but I recently got my friend reading the first Redwall book Redwall
And I was telling him about BJ and when I said Jakes
He said I was pronouncing it wrong
He was pronouncing it Jacques(the French way) ::)

i found out it was kakes just recently
rock'n'roll  will survive

25% nerd 25% redneck 25% rocker 25% Redwaller  100% me

If war must come, let it come during my generation, so that my children will know peace

Tiria Wildlough

I haven't been reading Redwall for very long, and found out that he'd died when my mum told me. I wasn't very sad at first, because I hadn't read very many yet, but I got disappointed later, because I knew there wouldn't be any more books!  :( :( :( :( :( :(
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Okamikee

Mr. Jacques' death brought me back to the Redwall books. I'm really bummed that we won't see any more literary works from this wonderful author.
"When a man is faced with his own death, he finds the impossible less of a barrier."

Nightfire

I was shocked. I felt like fainting.  :'(
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Lutra

I remember being stunned, but not totally sad.  Its one of those things you think can't happen, so for Mr. Jacques passing, I was certainly stunned and wondered what would happen to Redwall now?
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Muse

Hey, bringning this back.

I was sooooooo sad. i saw it three months ago, in, sadly, one of his books. It was a newer copy, and said: "Dr. Brian Jacques was the blahblahblah." Was? I was depressed, and am sad not just for his death, which is a tragedy of itself, but for the deaths of the ideas he held. Imagine, what was lost. Imagine, the dozens more books he could have, and would have, written.
Do not fear the unknown. It cannot hurt you.
What is truly worth fearing is the known.
By Muse

Firewall978

I figured out in a copy of Entertainment weekly. It said something like "Author Brian Jaucques, who wrote Redwall, Died February 5th (or something like that)"...

I was extreemly sad, due to the fact that well....

...there would be no more Redwall Books after The Rogue Crew.

brocka

I read it online, on the 9th of February. It felt as though the universe had been pulled away and nothing was left but a void. I had written to him a few times and always received lovely responses from the Redwall staff, on his behalf. It was one of my life's worst moments, but I gathered strength from the books as time went on. The most difficult thing was telling my community of plush amimals. They visit Redwall Abbey daily, so I couldn't let them find out about it by surprise. I told them and they were able to offer comfort to the Abbey dwellers. Think I'm nuts? Maybe, but the books have kept me going many times times, when it would have been easy to cave in. The critters are doing fine now. So am I. Hope you are able to make a tribute to Brian in your own way!

Gears

I got VERY depressed, and i cried for a long, long time. I loved his books, and i still miss him so much.
here is a good quote for this:

"You will find joy, frustration and sorrow in your quest. Never forget that friendship and loyalty are more precious than riches... Happiness can be brief, but it knows no time in the land of dreams."- The Pearls of Lutra.
R.I.P. Brian Jacques.
Yeah, I do stuff sometimes.

Flandor

Quote from: Okamikee on July 21, 2011, 08:39:53 AM
Mr. Jacques' death brought me back to the Redwall books. I'm really bummed that we won't see any more literary works from this wonderful author.

Same here.  I had burned them out as a kid and hadn't read them for years, then I heard about Brian's passing and immediately dug them out of the attic and have been reading and re-reading them since.  They bring me such comfort and warmth and meaning, I only wish I could have spoken to Brian at some point to let him know that.   I didn't have all that many friends growing up but I did have an active imagination and Redwall became my happy place for many, many years, and still is.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Jacques, on those sunny slopes.  And thank you for your gift.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer