News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Feast

Started by Sebias of Redwall, April 23, 2020, 10:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebias of Redwall

Author Note:

So this is a one chapter long back story that I wrote for one of my characters in The Grey Warlord. While reading TGW is certainly not discouraged, you should be able to read this without things being confusing or anything like that. This was proofread by Keldor and my editor, Keva, so they deserve a round of applause for their time and their incredibly helpful advice.  :)

Please review and let me know what you think! Happy reading to you!

Spoiler
LAND OF SNOW AND ICE: STORM DEEP

"All hail the new emperor! All hail Baro Steelclaws!"

Storm Deep's main hall was filled with hundreds of vermin. Lords, captains, soldiers, even cooks were present, all paying respects to their new leader. Old King Ragvor had died only two days ago of a "strange and sudden illness." His son, Baro, had graciously accepted the mantle of ruler in his stead.

The vermin all thumped their chests with their fists, then bowed as Baro walked into the massive room.

"Long live Emperor Baro!"

"May his reign be long and great!"

"T' th' Emperor!"

A long dark blue cloak was clasped onto his broad shoulders. He walked over to the black throne at the far end of the room. Sitting down, he raised his paws for silence.

As the crowd quieted, he began, "It's indeed a great tragedy that my father has passed from this life. His illness took us all completely by surprise. However, I promise you, with me as your leader, the Lands of Snow and Ice shall prosper and be made great once more!"

A small smile touched his lips as the vermin cheered.

"Of course, that means that there will be a few changes around here, but there will be more on that later. First, there are a few traitors that must be taken care of." He beckoned over to one of the captains. The vermin soldier saluted as he opened one of the hall's side doors.

Two beasts were roughly marched in by a group of ermine guards. One was a female ferret, the other a male fox. They had dark circles around their eyes from lack of sleep, and their clothes were damp and tattered from their brief stay in Storm Deep's deepest dungeons.

"These two were my father's most trusted beasts, as you all know. He put his faith in them, giving them the titles of head captain of the guard, and royal treasurer. And how did they repay his generosity? They stole from him!"
The two prisoners shook their heads desperately.

"No! We didn't! We were framed! We're innocent!"

"I served your father for twenty seasons! You know I'd never do such a thing!"

"Liars!" Baro hissed, slamming his fist on his throne. "You shall be sentenced to death for your crimes! Skinned alive and tied to posts for the carrion birds to pick at your flesh."

He waved his paw, and the two pleading vermin were hauled away.

"That will be all for now," Baro addressed the crowd. "Go about your business." With that, the young wolverine stood up and walked out of the hall.

Before going into his personal chambers, Baro glanced at the guards stationed at his door.

"Fetch Althea," he said.

"Yes, Your Supremeness."

Baro's room was plain. He had ordered most of his father's things to be burnt or put out of sight. The large wooden bed crowned the center of the room. Besides that, there were a few more pieces of furniture, such as a small table and a bookshelf.

The young creature paced the floor until he heard a knock.

"Yes?" he said.

"You wanted to see me?" a female voice asked.

Striding over to the door, he opened it slowly. The creature in the hallway was an attractively beautiful ermine. Her soft fur was neatly brushed, and she smelled of roses.

"Yes," Baro replied, indicating for her to come in, "I did." He closed the door.

"What is it this time?" Althea blinked, her eyelashes fluttering.

"Quit the act. I know you're not the innocent flower that you wish other beasts believe. I need you and your sisters again for another job."

"How much is in it for us?"

"Two chests of gold. You know I pay my friends well."

"You have a deal. I'll tell my sisters."

"Good. Tell me, have you ever had experience as a cook?"

"Can't say that I have."

"Well, you're about to have the pleasure."

NORTHLANDS: FOUR WEEKS LATER

A group of woodlanders trekked through the winter landscape, pulling wooden carts.

There were a score of them, mostly trader mice, along with their hired otter mercenaries. The carts were laden high with food and other essential supplies for their northland buyers. Some had argued that it wasn't wise to travel the Northlands during the winter season, but their leader, a mouse who went by the name Logan Anderson, reasoned that since many of the other traders were scared off by the freezing cold, the Northlanders would be desperate. And desperate beasts would pay more in gold.

Logan clapped his paws together and shivered. The icy wind went right through his heavy coat and clothes.
The path ahead led to a mountain pass. Logan had passed through it before, and knew that it was wise to take precautions.

He called out to one of the otter guards in front of him, and beckoned him over with a wave of his paw.

"Bowen, take three beasts and scout ahead. Make sure the path is clear. I've heard some ambitious vermin are trying to extend their kingdoms around these parts. Better safe than sorry."

The otter saluted with his spear then trudged off through the snow to find his companions.

The carts rounded a bend and finally they were at the foot of the pass. Logan ordered the company to halt, waiting until the otter scouts returned.

"Nary a sign o' a whisker," Bowen replied, shivering, "Nothing but th' blasted wind."

They continued on through the pass, the twin mountains casting their shadows over them. The mountain slopes were thickly covered with pine trees, the green branches standing out against the stark whiteness.

The travelers jumped with shock as there was the sound of a loud, long howl.

"ARH-WOOOOO!"

Logan's paw dropped to his belt and he pulled out a rapier. "Come on, lads! Run for it! Bring what you can --argh!"

The mouse dropped to the ground as a spear came hurtling out of nowhere and hit him in the shoulder.

Pandemonium broke out as shapes of white creatures seemed to rise from the snow on both sides. Arrows and javelins filled the air as the strange creatures let out a volley.

Logan desperately crawled under one of the carts, leaving a bloody trail behind him from his wound.

Curling up into a ball, he froze. Maybe the attackers would think he was dead if he remained perfectly still. He listened to the sounds of battle cries and screams as both sides clashed briefly.

Not long after, the sounds of fighting stopped, replaced with whimpers and pleads for mercy from Logan's fellow woodlanders. He didn't need to peek out from under his hiding spot to guess who had won the skirmish.

He couldn't help but flinch as the cart he was under was pushed away, leaving him exposed in the open.

A massive pair of paws suddenly grabbed him by the throat, and the mouse let out a strangled yelp. He was lifted into the air, his footpaws dangling.

"What have we here?" a voice rumbled.

Logan's eyes widened with fear. The creature before him was larger than any he had ever seen. The wolf grinned with his large yellow fangs. There was a long scar running down his face and across his snout.

"And what is a fearless beast like you doing under there?" The wolf mocked.

"P-p-please, sir, don't kill me! I'll give you anything! Anything! Name it, and it's yours! P-please don't hurt me! I don't wanna die!"

The larger creature snorted and dropped the mouse. "Nyko!" he called, "Come over here!"

Another wolf, this one smaller and much younger than the first one, came running over and bowed. Nyko was dressed in a thick white tunic. He still carried his bloodied sword in one paw.

"Yes, Father?"

"Do you see this beast?" He gestured to the sobbing mouse. Nyko nodded.

"Good." He kicked the mouse over to Nyko. "Cowards like this who desert their companions to their deaths aren't to be trusted. Do me a favor and take off his head, would you?"

BLEAK CASTLE

Lady Petra gazed out from the nursery tower window. Her baby, Owen, had just fallen asleep.

She was a tall, graceful wolf. She wore a green slim dress with a white sash. Tucked in the sash was an elegant dagger with a blue ruby set on its pommel.

Her blue eyes stared out, searching for any sign of her husband's return.

"Oh, where are you, Almar?" she said softly.

Her husband, Lord Almar Storm, had left Bleak Castle on a raid two weeks ago, taking a company of two-score foxes with him. When Lord Almar was gone, all of the duties of ruler fell on Lady Petra. However, the female wolf wasn't a stranger to hard work.

As Petra turned away from the window, she caught the sign of movement out of the corner of her eye. Looking back down at the land surrounding Bleak Castle. She smiled. He was home.

After checking once more to see if Owen had woken from his slumber, she left the room and ran down to the castle courtyard. She listened as the guards on the wall top began to shout.

"Lord Almar is back!"

"Raise the gate!" Lady Petra called up, reaching the gatehouse. The fox on the wall top nodded, then ran off to her bidding.

Lord Almar smiled as he saw the castle guards scurrying about on the wall top. He and his company halted as they waited for the portcullis to be risen.

"Feels good to be home, doesn't it?" The wolf remarked to his son.

Nyko was Almar's eldest child, being seventeen seasons old . He was wearing a white cape, and carried a shield, with a sword buckled to his side.

"Sure does," Nyko replied. "When do you think the next raid will be?"

Almar chuckled, patting his son on the shoulder. "We'll see."

The iron gate was finally raised, and the group entered Bleak Castle. A small crowd of the castle's inhabitants, mainly white foxes, were gathered in a crowd.

"Bring the carts and the slaves to General Skull," Almar said to Nyko. He caught sight of Lady Petra standing nearby and his face lit up.

"Petra!" He ran over to his wife and embraced her, kissing her lightly.

"Took you long enough," Petra scowled, a grin threatening to break out on her face. "Looks like you were successful."

"Aye." He nodded. "That we were. Oh, I have something for you!" He pulled out a bag from his tunic, and handed it to his wife. "Open it."

Her eyes studied the bag thoughtfully as she accepted it. She felt its weight. "Hmm. What could it be...?" Slowly, she opened it and gasped. "Such fine jewels!" she gasped, pulling one out and looking at it closely. "They're so beautiful. Thank you."

"Anything for you, my dear." Almar smiled.

"Where's Nyko?" Petra asked, glancing behind her husband at the group of creatures.

"Seeing General Skull. He should be back in a moment."

Excusing himself, Almar left to find his other children. He walked past the courtyard, and entered the keep where he and his family lived.

Passing through a corridor, he suddenly heard the sounds of yelling.

"You a plank-tailed piece of dung!"

"How dare you, you moldy-hearted bully! Take that back!"

Almar swung the door open with a bang. "What's going on here?" he asked gruffly.

Inside the room were two small wolves. Kano, the younger of the two, was nine seasons old. He had a tendency to whine when things didn't go his way, as many young beasts do.

"Da!" he said, pointing to his older sister, "Tell Cahira to give my knife back! I left it alone in my room for one moment, and she stole it!"

"Oh, fine. Have your measly kitchen knife back." Cahira threw the small dagger out the room window.

"Why you-! Did you see that, Da? She did it on purpose!"

"Both of you be quiet."

Almar barely needed to raise his voice, his grim tone was enough. The two young creatures fell silent.

"Cahira, go back to your room." He jerked his head to the door. "I'll deal with you later."

"Of course, Father." The young female wolf nodded her head then left.

"Follow me, Kano."

The two wolves walked out of the room. Almar began to walk down the corridor, Kano doing his best to keep up.
Almar slowed his pace slightly. He sighed aloud. "Oh, Kano. What am I going to do with you? You're the son of one of the mightiest wolf lords to ever rule Bleak Castle, and you still act like a spoiled young un."

Kano's head drooped down with shame. "She started it though," he mumbled.

"That's not the point." Almar sighed with defeat. "Report down to General Skull. Tell him that I want you trained in the art of the blade. You're not going to be young forever. One day, you'll find out that the world is a hard, cruel place. Just because you are the son of a lord doesn't mean you'll be treated or respected as one."

"Yes, Father."

Almar watched as his son plodded away. He couldn't help but smile. His son would learn how to be a warlord one day. It was only a matter of time.

"Keep your guard up, Kano!"

Kano yelped as the flat end of General Skull's wooden blade smacked him on the head. Skull was a broad shouldered fox with white fur. The scars of many battles crisscrossed his arms and chest. Even his face had not been spared, and an ugly slash ran down the left side of his muzzle, narrowly missing his eye. He wore a breastplate and heavy leather clothing.

"Owch! Watch it!" Kano said.

"Your enemies won't take it easy on you in battle, young un. You have to learn to take a few blows," Skull replied, his blade whacking the wolf on his back.

Kano was breathing hard as he struggled to ward off the blows of his instructor. The young wolf had never fought in an actual sparring duel before, only mock ones with his older siblings, which he tended to lose at as well.

His older brother, Nyko, watched from the sidelines, a grin spread across his face. He knew what it was like to spar with General Skull.

"Keep your eyes on him, Kano," Nyko said. "Don't let anything distract you. You're not focusing."

"That's kinda hard to do," Kano muttered, bringing his sword up to block one of the white fox's blows.

The training session continued a while longer before the fox general finally took a step back, neatly disarming the young wolf as he did so.

"You're not very good," he assessed aloud, "But I've made swordbeasts out of worse before. Take your brother for example."

"Hah!" Nyko scoffed. "I heard that, old one."

General Skull ignored him, His attention fixed on Kano. "That'll be all. You can go down to the kitchens and grab something to eat. Put some good meat and muscle on those bones."

"I'll come with you," Nyko said, walking over to his younger brother and punching him lightly on the shoulder. "Father wouldn't be pleased if you got into trouble again. I'll keep an eye on you."

"I don't need watching. I'm not a cub, you know."

Nyko snickered. "Yeah, yeah. Come on, time's a wastin'."

As they entered the castle's kitchen, Nyko ordered one of the kitchen helpers -a female ermine- to bring them both some food.

"We're starving," he said, patting Kano on the back, "And just look at my little brother! He's so skinny you can practically see the ribs sticking out of his chest!"

"I'm not skinny!" Kano growled, shoving his brother with his paws. "You're all just big and fat."

"I'll see what I can do," the ermine replied, "Though, I'll have to ask the head cook because I'm new here."
"That sounds fine. What's your name again?"

"Rosetta, Master."

"Ah. Well, Rosetta, would you be so kind as to bring our food up to our rooms? Come on, Kano. Maybe we could play a war game of some sort."

Kano's face lit up. "You're on! I'll race you!"

Days later, Bleak Castle was full of excitement and gossip. A ferret messenger had arrived from the Land of Snow and Ice! Apparently, the young wolverine emperor, Baro Steelclaws, wished to talk with Lord Almar.

In the past, the wolf and the wolverine lords had battled over the wide lands of the far north. The wars never had even a full season's pause until Almar became lord of Bleak Castle. He and the former wolverine emperor, Ragvor, decided that the only way either of them would thrive would be to make a truce.

A wary peace had reigned in the Northlands for seasons after that. It was only recently that Almar learned that Old King Ragvor had died, leaving his throne to his son, Baro Steelclaws.

Baro's message contained an invitation for the wolf and his family to visit him in his own castle. Almar, however, insisted that it would be better for the wolverine if he simply came to Bleak Castle instead. Baro agreed, and the preparations were made.

Almar's fox army was five score strong. Baro's forces, as the letter said, would only contain eight score soldiers or so. However, Almar planned to monitor their movements like a hawk.

The wolf lord and his wife were woken from their slumber by a knock on the door.

"What do you want?" Almar grumbled. "It's barely morning yet."

"Beasts have been sighted coming up the road, m'lord," General Skull's voice replied from the other side. "I thought I'd come and let you know."

Almar leapt out of his bed and hastily threw on his clothes and his heavy cape. Opening the door, he nodded briefly to Skull. The white fox saluted.

"At ease," Almar said, walking down the hallway. "Let's go see who these beasts are."

Making his way toward the gatehouse, he ran up the stairs onto the wall.

A troop of vermin were marching through the snow-filled path. Many of them ermine and foxes, yet there were also quite a few other vermin as well, a few ferrets, one wretched looking weasel, and even a ragged gang of grey rats.
The flags were white, broken only by the sign of a black claw. One beast in particular stood out, the wolverine leading them.

"That must be Baro," General Skull said, saying the obvious. "Looks young. Seventeen seasons at the most, though he sure is big."

"Hopefully he's not just all brawn and no brains," Almar muttered. "Strong beasts who don't think can make rash decisions. Ones that could affect us."

As the ranks of beasts pulled close to the wall, they stopped as one when the wolverine held up his paw. He looked up at Almar and called up, "Are you the lord of this castle?"

"Aye," came the reply.

"Would you allow me and my companions the honor of coming in? I, Emperor Baro Steelclaws, wish to discuss terms with you for a new alliance, as I wrote in my letter." He silently waited for the lord to make his decision.

General Skull whispered, "Seems polite enough. Should we let the rest of his troops in?"

"I don't think we should antagonize him. We need to at least pretend that we trust him. If not, he might decide that a treaty with us isn't worth it. A war is the last thing we need during winter."

Raising his voice, he called for the portcullis to be raised, then turned back to Baro.

"You may come in, friend," he said, bowing his head politely. He noticed with slight annoyance that the wolverine didn't bow back in return, as was the custom. He's probably just new at this, the wolf thought. He smiled inwardly. That could be a good thing. It's easier to strike a deal with an inexperienced beast instead of one that is.

The iron grating was raised, and the company of Snowlanders marched in. Most of them were armed with spears, their uniforms white and black. Almar came down from the wall and went up to Baro.

"Welcome to Bleak Castle," he said. "My servants are preparing food as we speak."

Baro smiled faintly. "I'm sure they are." He glanced around. "Nice castle. Not as nice as mine, but still nice. The keep is rather small though."

Almar laughed. "Indeed it is. However, don't underestimate it. Bleak Castle's enemies have never prevailed against us. Many skulls have shattered trying to break through our walls." He said it in a lighthearted manner, yet at the same time, the warning was clear.

"General Skull," Almar said, addressing his second in command, "Could you find a place for the Emperor's soldiers to stay in the barracks? I'm sure they're positively worn out."

The white fox nodded, then left to do his master's bidding.

"Ah, and who is this?" Baro asked, catching sight of Lady Petra and Nyko as they walked over from the castle keep, Cahira and Kano a few paces behind.

"Allow me to introduce my family. Lady Petra, Nyko, Cahira, and Kano. Our youngest, Owen, is still sleeping."

"Charmed to meet you, I'm sure," Lady Petra said, curtsying. "But it's freezing out here. Let's go inside, shall we?"

They retreated into the warmth of the main hall. Only a score of Baro's guards came with him, the others were led by General Skull to the barracks, where he and the other soldiers could keep a wary eye on them without making it obvious.

They sat down at the head table, Lady Petra shooing the two younger children off.

"Anything to drink?" she asked Baro.

The wolverine shook his head. "Thank you, but I'm fine."

"So," Almar said, tapping the table with his claws, "let's get down to business. You wanted to sign a treaty, yes?"
"Correct." The wolverine pulled out a sheet of paper and handed it to Almar. "This one is basically the same one that you signed with my father. I've added a few things, but otherwise, haven't changed it."

Almar's eyes scanned the paper. "It all seems to be in order. Now, when would you like to sign this?"

"There's no time like the present. Just put your seal down there," he pointed with his claw, "and I'll put mine next to yours."

With the treaty signed, Almar declared that they would have a feast to celebrate. Baro had immediately agreed.

The cooks worked all day. Almar had a few woodlander slaves that were skilled in the art of baking, so there was a wide selection of cakes, pies, and breads for the special occasion. Grog and wine were also served, along with many types of different cooked birds.

Lord Almar and his family were seated at their normal places at the head table. Even Owen was present. The wolf babe cooed from his place on his mother's lap. He would lean forward, trying to grasp at the strange foreign objects in front of him, causing more than one mess.

Lady Petra shot a sideways glance at Baro. At this rate, the wolverine was going to eat them out of larder and castle. At least he didn't seem to be a big drinker. Lord Almar had offered him wine on several occasions, and he politely refused.

He probably thinks drinking takes too much time away from eating, Petra thought, scoffing inwardly.

As the creatures ate, maids came to refill their plates and cups. As one of them--an ermine in a green dress--reached over the table to pour more wine into Almar's cup, she accidently knocked it over, spilling its contents all over the lord's lap.

"You useless creature!" Lady Petra snapped, reaching over and grabbing the female ermine by the arm. "Find my husband a rag!"

"Yes, m'lady! Forgive me!"

As the maid scampered off, Petra shook her head. This was why she didn't hire foreigners as kitchen maids.

The ermine wearing the green dress came back with a cloth, followed closely by her sister Althea.

"I apologize for my younger sister's clumsiness," Althea said, bowing low to Lord Almar and Lady Petra. "She's not used to all this yet. But she will be." She shot a piercing glance at her sister. "It won't happen again, I'm sure. Will it, Rosetta?"

Rosetta shook her head.

Lord Almar snatched the cloth away from Rosetta and dried himself as best he could while more servants cleaned up the mess on the table. "Hmph." He growled. "See that it doesn't. You're both dismissed."

Baro watched with amusement as the two ermine bowed and left.

"I trust this doesn't happen often, does it?" He chuckled to Lord Almar, biting into a piece of roasted bird.

"It most certainly does not!" Lady Petra replied for her husband. Her eyes narrowed. She couldn't help but dislike the young wolverine emperor. He had a certain air about the smug way he said things that she didn't like.

Baro stood up, reaching for his empty cup. "Lord Almar, shall we both propose a toast in honor of the new treaty between our realms."

"What an excellent idea." The wolf lord stood up, indicating for his servants to refill the drinks. "Here is to the alliance!" Lord Almar said, lifting his cup. "May peace reign long between us!"

"To the alliance!" the creatures in the hall echoed loudly, gulping down their wine.

The lord nodded his head to Baro, and the wolverine also lifted his glass, smirking.

"To the death of our enemies!" he yelled. "May their deaths be long and slow!"

Almar hesitated briefly before he repeated, "To the death of our enemies."

As the other vermin in the crowded hall took up the toast, Baby Owen began to cry, and Lady Petra decided that it was close enough to his bedtime to put him to sleep. Before she left, she went over to Kano and Cahira, and whispered in their ears. "Don't think I can't see you. Don't you dare drink any wine, or I'll have your father tan your hides with his sword scabbard!"

"But Nyko is drinking lots!" Cahira protested. "Why can't I?"

"Because you're much too young. Understood?" There was an unmistakable underline of a growl in her tone. "Understood?" she repeated.

"Yes, ma'am," they both sighed, disappointed.

Lady Petra walked across the hall. Just before she went out of the door, she took a casual glance back, and was surprised to see Baro watching her with a hard glance. She blinked, and the moment was gone. Petra shook her head, trying to clear it. Perhaps she needed to rest. All the stress she had been under recently must be playing tricks with her mind.

General Skull had taken a moment to get a breath of fresh night air. He decided to take a walk along the parapet. As he arrived at the gatehouse, he nodded at the pair of guards as they saluted smartly. The fox smirked. One of them had obviously been nodding off, while his companion had kept a lookout.

"At ease," he said. He shivered as the wind blew its ice breath on him. "Brr! Wouldn't want to be those bumpkins down there, eh?" He indicated the vermin below on the path. Half of Baro's troops hadn't been let in, due to safety measures, and because of lack of room in the barracks. Instead, they had built a make-shift camp on both sides of the path. The light from the fires had gone out, and the foxes inside the castle could only see the sleeping forms on the snow.

"Aye," one of the guards snickered. "I'll bet they will all 'ave frozen tails by tomorrow! Hehe!"

"They're probably hopin' that their emperor doesn't decide t' stay long," the other added. "I know I would!"

General Skull grinned and slapped the guards' shoulders. "Well it's a good thing that you're both here to keep an eye on them then! Just in case they try sneaking in to get warm. Am I right?"

The two foxes nodded in agreement.

"Very well. Goodnight."

General Skull walked down the wall stairs into the courtyard. He stifled a yawn. He wasn't getting any younger. He needed his sleep.

As he passed by the barracks, he thought he saw movement through one of the windows.

"That's strange..." he thought aloud. "All of the soldiers should be at the feast."

Walking over to investigate, he barged the door to the barracks open. The creature inside spun around with a shocked look on his face.

"W-what are you doing here?" the ferret stammered.

"I'll ask the questions, ferret!" Skull retorted. "You look like one of Baro's soldiers! Why aren't –Mffh!"

A beast suddenly grabbed him from behind, and covered his mouth. Before the fox general could break free, the ferret darted forward and plunged a knife into Skull's chest.

"What was he doing here?!"

"I dunno! Quick, let's get out of here before the others find out we're here!"

The whispered voices faded as Skull's knees gave out from under him. His eyes closed and his vision went black.
The two vermin left the dead fox and disappeared into the night.

Back in the hall, the toasts continued on. Different variations and meanings of peace, long life, hopes of victory, were called out. As time went on, it seemed that Baro's vermin were the ones doing most of the toasting, while Almar's guards did most of the drinking.

Almar's eyes were getting droopy. He was finding it hard to stay awake. "Where...where is General Skull?" he wondered aloud, hiccuping. "He always loves a good cup of wine."

"Speaking of wine, let me help fill yours up, friend," Baro smiled, indicating to a nearby servant to pour more of the drink.

Almar's paws were beginning to shake. He blinked as he looked at them. "I feel...strange?" he mumbled.

"Nothing a good cup of wine couldn't fix!" Baro said, clapping the wolf on the back.

"No, no more wine." Almar replied, blinking rapidly. What was the sudden pain in his chest from?

His loyal vermin were also having the same problems. A vixen suddenly began coughing violently, dropping her cup to the floor as she grasped her throat.

"Oh, look!" a big fox chuckled, his stance wobbly as he pointed his claw at the vixen, "Ol' Velvetnose musta choked on her food. Harhar!" He broke off as he began to cough as well, blood coming out of his mouth.

It was then that Almar realized what had happened. He stood up, gripping the table for support. "Treachery!" he roared. "Don't drink the wine! It's been poisoned!–"

He gasped out with pain as he felt a dagger plunge deep into his back. He looked down to see Baro snarling at him.

"Sweet dreams," he whispered, pulling the dagger out and slashing the mighty wolf lord's throat.

"Father!" Nyko cried, jumping to his footpaws. "No!"

Several of Baro's creatures leapt up, armed with slings. Before the young wolf warrior could reach them, they released a salvo of rocks at him. The small missiles whistled through the air viciously. One of them struck Nyko on the forehead, and the wolf collapsed.

The hall exploded into an uproar. Baro's soldiers pulled out weapons and attacked the surprised foxes – many of whom had begun to choke as the poison took effect.

Cahira and Kano stumbled out of their seats, their eyes wide. They had never seen anything like the bloodbath that was taking place before them. A few fox guards were grouped together by the main doors, desperately calling for help.

"What do we do?" Kano shrieked.

Cahira broke the leg of her chair and held it like a club. With her other paw, she grasped him by the paw. "Run! I'll hold them off!"

She broke off with a scream as Baro rushed her, knocking the make-shift weapon out of her paws, and grabbing her by the arm.

"Leave her alone!" Kano yelled, jumping at the massive mountain of flesh and black fur. "Die!"

Baro merely swung out with his arm and swatted the young wolf to the ground.

"You both have spirit," he chuckled, glancing from Cahira to Kano. "Maybe I can make some use of you yet..."

Lady Petra was walking back from Owen's room when the sounds of fighting reached her ears. Her first instinct was to run back to the nursery to grab her baby.

"Shh, little one," she said as the young babe began to wail. "Shh, it's alright." Her voice betrayed how worried she was, and Owen, sensing something was wrong, continued to cry all the louder.

There was the sound of footpaws running down the hall toward them.

"Find those wolves! Kill them! Baro doesn't want any of them left alive!"

The wolf slammed the door shut and locked it. Petra glanced around desperately, looking for an avenue for escape. Trying to silence Owen, she ran over to the window. They were at least one story high. She glanced back at the door as the beasts on the other side began to thump on it with their fists.

"Open up!"

"Find a piece of furniture, lads! We'll break it down!"

There was nothing for it. Crawling through the window, she took in a deep breath, then dropped, clutching her wailing babe close to her chest.

She landed awkwardly on the hard ground with a cry of pain. Her left footpaw was sprained, if not broken. Yet she picked herself up and began to bobble toward the gatehouse.

"Intruders!" she screamed to the dim shapes of the guards on the walls. "Foes are in the castle!"

As the foxes by the gatehouse turned to her, both of them suddenly jerked and fell to the ground, struck by arrows from the outside. Two ferrets came slinking from their hiding places in the shadows and ran into the gatehouse.

"No..." Petra gasped.

If the ferrets raised the portcullis, the rest of Baro's forces would come pouring in.

An arrow came whistling out of the darkness from the nursery window behind her and plunged into her back. Petra gasped with pain, and fell to the ground. Owen wailed, not understanding what was going on. Her heart beating wildly, the female wolf picked herself off the ground and began to stumble away. A few more arrows were shot at her, missing due to the darkness of the night.

They finally stopped.

Voices echoed out from the nursery as the vermin argued.

"Why'd ye stop? Keep shooting, ye fools!"

"It's too dark! I can't see a thing!"

"That's no excuse! Baro wants her dead."

"Can ye see her? Course ye can't! That's my point! We're jus' wasting arrows!"

There was a brief pause. "Aye. Come on, lads, let's see if Brushfang and his crew got the gates open."

Lady Petra stumbled groggily through the darkness, blood oozing from the wound in her back where the arrow still stuck out like a black flag. She tripped, falling to the ground before struggling back to her footpaws. At last, Lady Petra came to the small, sturdy hut made from stone. There was a carpet spread over the wooden floor, and Petra brushed it aside, revealing a trapdoor in the center of the floor.

She grunted with exertion as she opened the trapdoor, her back burning with pain from the arrow wound. The wound was deep, and Petra began to feel light headed from the blood loss.

"It'll be alright, Owen." She gently held him closer. "I'll make sure you're safe."

Dropping down into the tunnel, she fumbled around in the darkness until her paw came across the shape of a torch. There was at least one always placed near the entrance and the exit, along with the tools to light it.

Once the flame was kindled, she shuffled down the tunnel, blinking back tears. She'd wait to find a safe place until this all blew over. Her husband would surely defeat the attacking scum. After all, the Great Lord Almar never lost to anybeast. Right? What if... what if...

"No!" She chided to herself, "Don't think like that! Everything will be alright!"

She disappeared into the tunnel, carrying the only thing that she had left.

As dawn rose over the Northlands, a gang of vermin slavers were roused from their slumber by their chieftain's shouts.

"Wakey wakey, everybeast! Come on, things to do and places to be!" the pine marten yelled, kicking one of his thug's footpaws.

Grumbling, the vermin rose to greet their day. A few began to light a fire to cook breakfast, while the rest cleaned up the camp -- under the watchful eye of their leader.

The pine marten, Stoneheart, stretched his back with a groan. "Just look at that sunrise! Look at what you all were missing!"

"I'd rather be catchin' up on me sleep," a rat grumbled, folding his blanket.

"What was that?" Stoneheart's paw dropped to the hilt of his sword. "Did I hear you say something, big mouth?"

"Hmm? Me? No, I didn't say a thing, Chief."

"That's good. When beasts like you start talking, it's a waste of good fresh air."

Stoneheart sent out a few scouts, then joined the rest of the gang as they ate. The vittles consisted of baked snake eggs that one of the ferrets had found in a nearby swamp. Needless to say, Stoneheart had been eager to pull a fast retreat when he learned that there were snakes nearby. However, the eggs they decided to keep.

The only fox in the group was cooking a pot of gruel for the beasts not privileged enough to get  a share of the eggs.
Stoneheart took a swig of grog from his canteen and let out a belch.

"Aaah. Good stuff, this."

The vermin gang looked up from their food as the pair of scouts came running back.

"Chief! Chief!" they cried.

Stoneheart stood up, drawing his sword. "What? Did you find something?"

"Aye! We found a strange beast in the woods! I think it's dead or something. Come see!"

Gathering their weapons, the vermin followed the two scouts through the forest until they saw the creature.

"W-what is it?" one of the rats asked, his eyes bulging. "That thing's huge!"

Stoneheart's gaze swept over it. "It's a female wolf by the looks of it. I've never seen one before, but I've heard tell of them. It must be one. Nothing else could be that big."

"Is it dead?"

"I dunno." Stoneheart walked closer to it and prodded the wolf with his sword. The female didn't even twitch. "She's dead alright." Stoneheart sniffed, taking a step back. "Aha! See that broken shaft sticking out of her back? I'll wager a bottle of grog to a rusty nail that that's what done her in."

Suddenly, a loud wail seemed to echo from the dead beast. The gang leapt back with shock.

"What was that?! Was it her ghost?"

"I dunno. Let's get out o' 'ere!"

"Oh, hush, you cowards." Stoneheart went over to the dead beast. "Don't you recognize the cry of a babe when you hear one?"

Pushing the body over a bit, Stoneheart looked down and saw Owen's eyes shining up at him. He had stopped crying, and gazed up at the pine marten with big eyes.

"Aren't you a cutie," Stoneheart grinned, picking up the wolf baby. "Oof! A heavy cutie, though."

"What should we do wi' it?" one of the gang asked.

"I say we kill it." A stoat said, licking the tip of his knife. "End it's misery."

"Are you daft?" Stoneheart said, spitting. "When this thing grows up, it'll be a fighter to reckon with."

"What are we going to feed it?"

"Vittles I suppose." Stoneheart rolled his eyes. "Everybeast needs to eat, you know."

"But babes can't eat solid foods!"

"Then we'll get some villagers to take care of him for a while. I know a family that owes me a good deal of coin. They'll help if they know what's good for 'em." He grinned down at the wolf baby. "This could be the best investment I've ever made!"

"What'll we call him?"

Stoneheart shrugged. "I had an uncle called Bertvar once. Let's call him that."

"Bert?" The rat sniggered. "What kind of a name is that?"

Stoneheart growled. "Got a problem with it?"

"No, Chief," the rat grumbled.

"Good." Stoneheart tickled the wolf baby in his arms. "Welcome to the gang, little Bertvar."

[close]
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Corporal Rubbadub

I barely started reading it, but i can already tell it's awesome! Nice Job!
I never read the grey warlord bec. the computer i used is blocked off from fanficton.net, so can you post it on the forum?

Sebias of Redwall

Lol, thanks! Glad you're enjoying it so far!

I was going to say that I posted the link in the Fan Fiction archive, but the link is to FanFiction.Net... Hmm... I'll consider it. (Though, it is rather long so far, so it would probably take me a while.  :P)

Anyway, hope you have a great day, and happy reading to you!

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Corporal Rubbadub

I finished, and all i can say is:WOW!. that was really good. One question, what happened to Owen?(is he in the grey warlord)

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: Corporal Rubbadub on May 07, 2020, 01:15:20 AM
I finished, and all i can say is:WOW!. that was really good. One question, what happened to Owen?(is he in the grey warlord)
Thanks, Mate! Glad you enjoyed it!  :)
Spoiler
Yep, Owen is one of the major players in The Grey Warlord.
[close]

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Corporal Rubbadub

i'm going to read the grey warlord on a different computer, for your opinion, whats better, the feast or the grey warlord?

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: Corporal Rubbadub on May 07, 2020, 02:01:45 AM
i'm going to read the grey warlord on a different computer, for your opinion, whats better, the feast or the grey warlord?
Great! Hope you enjoy it, Mate! Hmm... Tough question. I'm... strangely proud of The Feast (Had a ton of fun writing it), but TGW was the first fic I started (which I only have a few chapters left to do) so it will forever have a very special place in my heart. The quality in the beginning might be less than what you see in The Feast, but I'd say it improves. 😋

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Wylder Treejumper

Just read this today. I'm impressed with the quality; excellent work. I'll make sure to read The Gray Warlord now, as well. Although, I'll probably jump over to FF.net; the readability is much better over there.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Grey Coincidence

I consider myself an expert on this subject matter. The Grey Warlord is vastly greater in size and scope than the Feast. It is much more intricate, much more detailed- and while Seb is right to say that the writing quality at first isn't thaaaaaat great at first, it improves vastly over the chapters.
Profile by the wonderful Vizon.

Also, behold this shiny medal! How I got it is a secret...

Also, also, I am running fanfic conteeeeeests!

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on May 07, 2020, 04:01:04 AM
Just read this today. I'm impressed with the quality; excellent work. I'll make sure to read The Gray Warlord now, as well. Although, I'll probably jump over to FF.net; the readability is much better over there.
Awesome! I hope you like TGW as well!
Quote from: The Grey Coincidence on May 07, 2020, 07:57:33 AM

I consider myself an expert on this subject matter. The Grey Warlord is vastly greater in size and scope than the Feast. It is much more intricate, much more detailed- and while Seb is right to say that the writing quality at first isn't thaaaaaat great at first, it improves vastly over the chapters.
Heh. Thanks, Grey. :)

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Corporal Rubbadub

thanks for the info