News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Favorite Quotes

Started by Rainshadow, September 14, 2012, 11:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tungro

QuoteHis face wears a grin that frightens my heart. I am trapped. I rushed to the edge of the dock, cross myself and jump into the deep waters of the Ob. Ah, what a thrill it is to die! So I have outwitted Afanasi after all. It's cold, the water is cold. And I am going down, down... I am glad. I am triumphant. I escaped from the tap... into the arms of death

Flib Bigboat

"Why are you helping me like this, my child?"
Romsca sheathed her cutlass blade firmly. "I ain't yore child, I keep tellin' yer, an' I ain't doin' this to 'elp you. 'Tis more fer my benefit you be kept alive. We're sailin' into bad cold weather, you wouldn't last a day out on deck. Sit tight in 'ere an' keep the door locked, d'ye hear?"
Abbot Durral smiled warmly at the wild-looking corsair. "You are a good creature, Romsca. What a pity you chose the life of a corsair."
~Pearls of Lutra
Life is often like pushing a luggage cart through the airport. Sometimes I feel ridiculous, sometimes I look ridiculous, but I just keep pushing that luggage cart, and hoping I'm generally heading in the right direction.
Always keep your word, always finish what you started, and never go unprepared.
In a hole in the ground, there once lived a hobbit.
It's your birthday today, everybeast say hooray, there's a cat licking your birthday cake, it's your birthday today!
Long live the RRR!

Booklover

Quote from: Flib Bigboat on May 04, 2021, 02:42:01 PM
"Why are you helping me like this, my child?"
Romsca sheathed her cutlass blade firmly. "I ain't yore child, I keep tellin' yer, an' I ain't doin' this to 'elp you. 'Tis more fer my benefit you be kept alive. We're sailin' into bad cold weather, you wouldn't last a day out on deck. Sit tight in 'ere an' keep the door locked, d'ye hear?"
Abbot Durral smiled warmly at the wild-looking corsair. "You are a good creature, Romsca. What a pity you chose the life of a corsair."
~Pearls of Lutra
(What I find interesting is that not only does it have a direct example of a redeemed vermin, but saying she 'chose the life of a corsair' to me implies that there are other options for vermin that lead to them being able to be good and do good things. If the only choice for vermin was being evil and becoming a corsair, soldier or similar, then it wouldn't really matter which one she did. Therefore, there are other good vermin, we just never see them.)
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

Flib Bigboat

(I've always liked that book. Romsca is one of my favorite characters in the series.)

"Hey," Bobby interrupted. "You're a chowpur, Dick. What's a chowpur?"
Dick grinned down at him. "It means I drive cars and take care of their motors. When your legs get a little longer, I'll teach you how to shift gears."
"Yippee!" Bobby yelled with delight. "An' I'll teach you how to catch frogs in Mummy's best strainer."
"So," Trixie scolded,"that's where it disappeared!... " ~The Gatehouse Mystery
Life is often like pushing a luggage cart through the airport. Sometimes I feel ridiculous, sometimes I look ridiculous, but I just keep pushing that luggage cart, and hoping I'm generally heading in the right direction.
It's your birthday today, everybeast say hooray, there's a cat licking your birthday cake, it's your birthday today!
Long live the RRR!

Tungro

QuoteThere were rumors in the air, rumors of victory and defeat, and in low voices people talked of the torrents of blood and rivers of maimed humanity, streaming back from the front, and already overflowing to the Siberian plains. My heart yearned to be there, in the boiling cauldron of war, to be baptized in its fire and scorched with its lava. The spirit of sacrifice took possession of me. My country called me. An irresistible force pulled me...

MathLuk

The murder of one person is called unrighteous and incurs one death penalty. Following this argument, the murder of ten persons will be ten times as unrighteous and there should be ten death penalties; the murder of a hundred persons will be a hundred times as unrighteous and there should be a hundred death penalties. All the gentlemen of the world know that they should condemn these things, calling them unrighteous. But when it comes to the great unrighteousness of attacking states, they do not know that they should condemn it. On the contrary, they applaud it, calling it righteous.

-Mozi, Book 5
By what strange trick of fate do our paths cross anew?

Link to the Redwall Readership Restorers: https://discord.gg/frYkSzE

Scott McLamok

"Some people think they can outsmart me. Maybe, maybe. I have yet to meet one that can outsmart bullet." - Heavy Weapons Guy
"A knife, thrown just right, can accomplish wonderful things." -Cayde- 6

"I'm ready! How bout you?" - Emile-A239

"If you win you live. If you lose you die. If you don't fight, you can't win." – Eren Jaeger

"Keep your wits sharp and your blade sharper." – Mandalore the Destroyer

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." - General Douglas MacArthur

This is the Way.

One-Eye the wildcat

Quote from: Scott McLamok on May 07, 2021, 12:27:07 AM
"Some people think they can outsmart me. Maybe, maybe. I have yet to meet one that can outsmart bullet." - Heavy Weapons Guy

BOOLET IS FRIEND
"What will become of us? Where will we go, we who wander this vast wasteland in search of our better selves?"

"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos."
Long live the RRR!!

Flib Bigboat

"You're an apprentice! You're not supposed to think!" ~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice

Edit: And this:
"And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom." ~Gandalf, The Fellowship of the Ring, from The Lord of the Rings trilogy
Long live the RRR!

Scott McLamok

Quote from: One-Eye the wildcat on May 07, 2021, 03:24:30 AM
Quote from: Scott McLamok on May 07, 2021, 12:27:07 AM

BOOLET IS FRIEND
yes
"A knife, thrown just right, can accomplish wonderful things." -Cayde- 6

"I'm ready! How bout you?" - Emile-A239

"If you win you live. If you lose you die. If you don't fight, you can't win." – Eren Jaeger

"Keep your wits sharp and your blade sharper." – Mandalore the Destroyer

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." - General Douglas MacArthur

This is the Way.

lass of something much

Quote from: Flib Bigboat on May 07, 2021, 07:31:18 PM
"You're an apprentice! You're not supposed to think!" ~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice

Edit: And this:
"And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of wisdom." ~Gandalf, The Fellowship of the Ring, from The Lord of the Rings trilogy

It's you're not ready to think, but yes! Very much appreciate both quotes!
𝓛𝓪𝓼𝓼𝓲𝓮 𝓕𝓲𝓼𝓱

Flib Bigboat

Oh! I forgot, sorry.*has never read the RA series before, and doesn't know what she was talking about*
(And i love how Gandalf ticks off Saruman :giggle:
Long live the RRR!

Tungro

QuoteAt the conclusion he pinned a cross of the 3rd degree on my breast, marked with a pencil three stripes on my shoulder, thus promoting me to the grade of senior under-officer. The Staff crowded around me and expressing their best wishes. I was profoundly shaken with this demonstration of sincere appreciation and affection on the part of the officers. This was my reward for all the suffering I had undergone.
And it was a reward very much worth while. What did I care for a wound in the spine and four months' paralysis if this was the return for my sacrifice? Trenches filled with bloody corpses held no horror for me then. No Man's Land seemed quite an attractive place in which to spend a day with a bleeding leg. The screech of shells and the whistling of the bullets presented themselves like music to my imagination. Ah, life was mot so bleak and futile, after all. It had it's moments of bliss that compensated for years of torment and misery.

Ebantu the Kararehe

Quote from: Flib Bigboat on May 08, 2021, 01:16:34 AM
Oh! I forgot, sorry.*has never read the RA series before, and doesn't know what she was talking about*
(And I love how Gandalf ticks off Saruman :giggle:
Gandalf is very good at ticking people off. My personal favourite is: "The wise speak only of what they know, Gríma son of Gálmód. A witless worm have you become. Therefore be silent, and keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through fire and death to bandy words with a serving-man till the lightning falls."
Gives me shivers. ;)
Infant Ebby is a smol, out-of-control firebending terror. It's a good thing she's also quite cute.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
And rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

MathLuk

You're the most disappointing movie villain since General Grievous.

-The Pharaoh talking to Anubis, Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Movie
By what strange trick of fate do our paths cross anew?

Link to the Redwall Readership Restorers: https://discord.gg/frYkSzE