News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Favorite Quotes

Started by Rainshadow, September 14, 2012, 11:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flib Bigboat

"Gorlog's teeth!" Erak exclaimed, stunned at the numbers. "How many are there?"
"Ten thousand, maybe twelve," Halt replied briefly. The Skandian let out a low whistle.
"Are you sure? How can you tell?" It wasn't a sensible question, but Erak was overwhelmed by the size of the horse herd and he asked the question more for something to say than for any other reason. Halt looked at him dryly.
"It's an old cavalry trick," he said. "You count the legs and divide by four."
Erak returned the look. "I was just making conversation, Ranger," he said. Halt seemed singularly unimpressed by the statement.
"Then don't," he replied shortly. There was silence as they studied the enemy camp.
~The Oakleaf Bearers
Life is often like pushing a luggage cart through the airport. Sometimes I feel ridiculous, sometimes I look ridiculous, but I just keep pushing that luggage cart, and hoping I'm generally heading in the right direction.
Always keep your word, always finish what you started, and never go unprepared.
In a hole in the ground, there once lived a hobbit.
It's your birthday today, everybeast say hooray, there's a cat licking your birthday cake, it's your birthday today!
Long live the RRR!

Scott McLamok

Everything is free as long as you can run fast enough - Sun Tzu probably
"A knife, thrown just right, can accomplish wonderful things." -Cayde- 6

"I'm ready! How bout you?" - Emile-A239

"If you win you live. If you lose you die. If you don't fight, you can't win." – Eren Jaeger

"Keep your wits sharp and your blade sharper." – Mandalore the Destroyer

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." - General Douglas MacArthur

This is the Way.

Flib Bigboat

"But I thought-" Will began.
"Don't say that in front of Halt," Gilan warned in an undertone. "He'll only say 'You're an apprentice, you're not supposed to think yet.' "
~The Ruins of Gorland

"You're making quite a name for yourself," Alyss said, smiling at Will across the dinner table. "I'm just blundering through," he said. "It's all a little overwhelming, really."
Alyss's steady gaze told him that she saw through his pretense of diffidence.
"Inviting a wolfship crew to a banquet?" she said. "Preventing a pitched battle by handing over a few beasts and a skin or two of wine? I'd say you handled things pretty well."
Oh, Skandians aren't so difficult to deal with once you know them, Will replied. Then he grinned at her. He was actually quite proud of the way he had handled the potentially ugly situation. "Besides," he added, "it was worth it to see all those stuffy knights and their ladies sitting down to dine with a crew of bloodthirsty corsairs."
~The Sorceror of the North
Life is often like pushing a luggage cart through the airport. Sometimes I feel ridiculous, sometimes I look ridiculous, but I just keep pushing that luggage cart, and hoping I'm generally heading in the right direction.
It's your birthday today, everybeast say hooray, there's a cat licking your birthday cake, it's your birthday today!
Long live the RRR!

Tinarandel

"I'm writing a first draft and reminding myself that I'm simply shoveling sand into a box so that later I can build castles." ~Shannon Hale.
"The oldest and greatest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and greatest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."~H.P. Lovecraft.

"Try not to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself."~William Faulkner.

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, when one only remembers to turn on the light."~Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." ~Terry Goodkind.

One-Eye the wildcat

Ïf fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight!" -Sun Tsu
"What will become of us? Where will we go, we who wander this vast wasteland in search of our better selves?"

"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos."
Long live the RRR!!

Flib Bigboat

"The question is," said Halt, glancing at Alyss, "what should we do with him?"
She hesitated, then that wonderful smile spread over her face.
"I wonder," she said. "Does this castle have a moat?"
Long live the RRR!

MathLuk

Throughout the last millennium, Rome endured many dark times... each producing great men of their own.
The fruits of their efforts were enjoyed by weak men, whose degeneracy brought dark times.

The Empire is now at the mercy of evil and chaos, enemies within and abroad tearing it apart.
And in these darkest of times the Greatest of All Men Arose, to fulfill the prophecy.

In Illyria the Sun Priestess of the Aurelius Clan gave birth to a Divine Sun/Son: Aurelian.
At the start of the crisis, he enlisted in the Roman Legions when she needed him most.

Battle after battle, he defeated Rome's enemies with talent and skill never seen before.
Emperor after Emperor he served, killing barbarians and traitors alike... Always Loyal and Victorious.

With tears in his eyes... Claudius begged Aurelian to save Rome as her Emperor with his last breath...
For God and Empire, he put on his mask, marching to Italy and deposing the usurper Quintillus.

When the Vandals dared to invade his home, he marched back and slaughtered Every Last One of Them.
And as the Germs dared to invade Italy itself, he crushed their hordes against the ocean, denying any mercy.

Once in Rome he restored the economy from decadence, cleansing the city of all corrupt Senators.
To make Rome eternal, he ordered built the Aurelian Walls so that it would stand a thousand years more.

After decades of terrorizing the Danube, Aurelian crushed the Goths, delivering justice to Cniva.
For the Empire's sake, he evacuated the citizens of Dacia, strengthening the Danube against invasion.

Sailing east, Aurelian gathered his cavalrymen and slaughtered Zenobia's army, making her flee away.
Palmyra was then destroyed for all time as Zenobia was captured before she could flee to the Sassanids.

Punished by Sol, Shapur was banished from this mortal realm and Valerian's remains recovered.
Returning West, he defeated Tetricus's Legion of Traitors, making him bow once again to the Light of Rome.

Restoring the Empire from the brink of collapse, Aurelian was acclaimed as Restitutor Orbis: The Restorer of the World.
In his triumph he has Zenobia judged guilty, having her executed and lifting Dido's Curse forever.

Ruling alongside his wife, he eradicated degeneracy from the streets, restoring Law and Order to Rome.
Bringing Peace, Freedom, Justice and Security to his Empire, he began rebuilding it from its ashes.

As the Hero of Prophecy, Aurelian was the only Emperor to be Luckier than Augustus and better than Trajan.
To establish an eternality of Order, Aurelian served as a model to the best men of the next generation.

In only just Five Glorious Years, Aurelian had made Rome One Empire, with One Emperor, under One God.

- Dovahhatty, on the Emperor Aurelian
By what strange trick of fate do our paths cross anew?

Link to the Redwall Readership Restorers: https://discord.gg/frYkSzE

Trigoma

"If you're tired of starting over, then stop giving up." Shia LaBeouf...lol.
"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time...that is up to you."
—Happy Mask Salesman

Flib Bigboat

"Youths," said the Phoenix, "sons of misfortune, hear my words."
"My eyes!" said Ike.
"Look out, Ike," said Urb, "you'll throttle the joker—and I see at wunst 'e was wuth 'is weight in flimsies."
"Hearken, O Eikonoclastes, despiser of sacred images—and thou, Urbanus, dweller in the sordid city. Forbear this adventure lest a worse thing befall."
"Luv' us!" said Ike, "ain't it been taught its schoolin' just!"
"Restore me to my young acolytes and escape unscathed. Retain me—and—"
"They must ha' got all this up, case the Polly got pinched," said Ike. "Lor' lumme, the artfulness of them young uns!"
"I say, slosh 'em in the geseech and get clear off with the swag's wot I say," urged Herbert.
"Right O," said Isaac.
"Forbear," repeated the Phoenix, sternly.
~The Phoenix and the Carpet
Long live the RRR!

WorshipTiria

"We took the elevator back down from the first observation level of the Eiffel Tower and started walking in the direction of the Taj Mahal."
Pendragon series book ten: Soldiers of Halla
I'm about to go GREMLIN MODE

Flib Bigboat

"But I'm always trying to get rid of my faults!"
"Yes," Mrs. Whatsit said. "However, I think you'll find they'll come in very handy on Camazotz."
~A Wrinkle in Time
Long live the RRR!

WorshipTiria

Quote from: Flib Bigboat on October 26, 2021, 04:31:08 PM
"The question is," said Halt, glancing at Alyss, "what should we do with him?"
She hesitated, then that wonderful smile spread over her face.
"I wonder," she said. "Does this castle have a moat?"

I wanted to do that one.

"Self doubt is a disease. If you don't keep it in check, it'll become self-fullfilling"
~Gilan, The burning bridge
I'm about to go GREMLIN MODE

Flib Bigboat

With the same mixed emotions they watched him uncoil some considerable lengths of the large garden hose, saying with an air of wistful discrimination, "The red tulips before the yellow, I think. Look a bit dry, don't you think?"
"Look out, Samson," cried Flambeau, "why, you've cut off the tulip's head."
Father Brown stood ruefully contemplating the decapitated plant.
"Mine does seem to be a rather kill or cure sort of watering," he admitted.
..."I am fearfully clumsy," replied the reverend gentleman weakly, "do you know, I upset some wine at dinner." H made a wavering half-turn of apology towards the gardener, with the hose still spouting in his hand. The gardener caught the cold crash of water full in his face like the crash of a cannon-ball; staggered, slipped, and went sprawling with his boots in the air.
"How very dreadful!" said Father Brown, looking round in a sort of wonder, "Why, I've hit a man!"
~The Wisdom of Father Brown
Long live the RRR!

Ripred the Gnawer

'We stop looking for monsters under the bed when we realize they are inside of us'
"If you gaze long enough into the abyss, it'll gaze back at you"

Flib Bigboat

That's not a quote.

His last patient was a relatively straightforward case. An eleven-year-old boy had decided to use his mother's best cloak as a pair of wings while he attempted to fly from a four-meter-high tree. Malcolm finished binding the resultant sprained ankle, put some salve on the scraped elbows and wrists and ruffled the would-be adventurer's hair.
"Off you go," he told him, "and from now on, leave the magic to me."
~The Siege of Macindaw
Long live the RRR!