News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Homeschoolers?

Started by Gonff, July 07, 2011, 01:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do/Have you homeschooled?

I have forever!
never
I did, then school, then homeschooled
School, Homeschool,School
School, then Homeschooled from then on
Homeschooled, then school from then on

Tungro

Verdauga

Not to add to the masses or anything but I'm using Abeka also...
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

shisteer of nothing much

I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Verdauga

I'm one of the few that think that school isn't fun, (shocker, I know. :P) so out of curiosity I'm going to ask what's wrong with ACE?

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

shisteer of nothing much

Quote from: Verdauga on September 26, 2019, 12:40:46 AM
I'm one of the few that think that school isn't fun, (shocker, I know. :P) so out of curiosity I'm going to ask what's wrong with ACE?
Where do I start? I guess if it's anything in particular it would those stupid... it would insulting to call them comics. (to the comics)There isn't really any one thing that makes it annoying (except the stupid...) It's just a combination of little, niggling things that aren't bad enough to complain about on their own.
It isn't all bad. I liked the Successful Living and Basic New Testament Survey, plus some other random ones. (The Collectivism PACES are good)

I like school in general, especially the Language Arts and life experience. (That's another thing that annoys me about ACE; they could have chosen a really cool sounding name for the subject like Language Arts but no, they have to call it English! So unromantic!)

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Verdauga

I know what you mean about everything not being enough to complain about singularly, but the all of them together annoys you.

If it makes you feel any better Abeka calls its English classes 'English' as well...

shisteer of nothing much

Yeah, I think most curriculums do. I've kind of admitted grudging resignation to it now. It does makes sense. Language Arts is a very broad category. It includes spelling, grammar, literature and heaps of other stuff and it can be easier to split them up, rather than have them all lumped together.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Verdauga

When I was younger, Abeka had vocab/spelling/poetry separate from writing. Now everything is lumped together...
How does ACE handle testing?

shisteer of nothing much

Each PACE has a test to go with it, which you can do after twenty-four hours of not looking at the PACE. (PACES are work book things, generally between twenty and thirty-five pages, depending on the subject)

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Verdauga

*nods*
Okay. Those PACE books are short... :-\
I don't know if Abeka has any set time limit in between doing the regular videos and the test....

shisteer of nothing much

Yeah, they normally are but that just means we do more of them. Depending on the subject, I can do one in a day without too much trouble. Some of the PACEs are longer or have a separate workbook and text book, so it evens out. You have to get above 80% (90% in Word Building and a couple of other things) to pass but it's generally not too hard.
Three PACES in a week is relaxed, the most I've ever done in one week is 13.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Verdauga

So PACE is more of a day-to-day lesson plan than an entire years' worth of lesson plans?
(This is a weird way to ask a question, I know.)
Abeka's text/work books last however long the class lasts, so that's why I wonder.

shisteer of nothing much

Yeah, basically. According to propriety, it should take five days to do a PACE. There are three check ups, a self test and the PACE test, all of which should be done on a different day. So you'd normally have an assortment of subjects and do one section on each.
We've never really done that though. Our method is to do as much as you can mentally handle (within reason. It normally takes about thirty-forty pages before I putt out), then take a break and learn properly. (through life experience)

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Verdauga

Ohhhh.... Okay.

Do you realise we're the only people posting on this topic?

shisteer of nothing much

Yep. It's school holidays now. (which means absolutely nothing to me, for obvious reasons)

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!