Thunderbird
9 (47.4%)
Pukwudgie
5 (26.3%)
I wasn't sorted because I'm not American
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Hickory

Haven't read it, probably won't for a while. Sounded terrible.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Jetthebinturong

If you don't already want to, I would not recommend bothering to pick it up. Quite frankly, I'm surprised Rowling gave it her seal of approval. (And that she thinks Snape actually loved Lily, I mean come on). She could have just been like "this is authorised fanfiction, you can have it but it's not canon" but no, it's canon. And it just doesn't deserve to be. It reads like two terrible fanfics fell in love and produced this abomination as a result. The only things that come close to saving it are Scorpius and Draco.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Cornflower MM

I read the summary a while back, it didn't appeal to me. I think I'll steer clear of it for a while, then.

Hickory

From what I've heard about it from the Reddit community, it poorly portrays the old characters and fumbles with the new ones. Doesn't help that it's a play, either.

Maudie

I still can't believe I'm the only Gryffindor on here.
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Rosie Willowwater

I think Lt said he was a gryffindor

Banya

I haven't read The Cursed Child yet. Thanks for all your reviews and feedback on it, it's shaping my desire to read it. New, relevant poll going up.

Poll results:

'Witch' Hogwarts House are you in?

Gryffindor
    - 1 (5.6%)
Hufflepuff
    - 8 (44.4%)
Ravenclaw
    - 6 (33.3%)
Slytherin
    - 3 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

EDIT: Would you like to see other options on the new poll? Would you like the poll to include the play?

alexandre

Y'all ought to read the Cursed child.::)No, it wasn't very good, but you aren't a true Potter fan if'n you don't bother to read one of the books just because of what others say.
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

Hickory

That's like saying you aren't a true Star Wars fan if you don't watch the prequels. You don't need, want, or should watch the prequels. There are probably millions of Star Wars fans who enjoy the franchise without watching the prequels. The same should be applied to Harry Potter fans and The Cursed Child.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: alexandre on September 30, 2016, 05:45:35 AM
Y'all ought to read the Cursed child.::)No, it wasn't very good, but you aren't a true Potter fan if'n you don't bother to read one of the books just because of what others say.

I was never a true Potter fan anyway - Too formulated. Also, 11-yr-olds running easily able to do what adult wizards couldn't? Nope, not for me.

Hickory

It was Hermione doing all the work. Harry and Ron just tagged along for the ride, and because they were needed at key points in the book.

... see what I did there? Key points in the book?

Cornflower MM

Wylder Treejumper

Well, even though my family's had it for 3 weeks, I finally got around to reading The Cursed Child. My main reaction: meh.

It was a decent enough story, but the fault is on J. K. Rowling, because it was excellent as a play script but disappointing as a novel. It could easily have been turned into an excellent two or three books. As it is, the whole thing feels rushed and ill-defined. Furthermore, the main character is not really sympathetic, and most of the supporting characters are vague.

Scorpius, on the other hand, is brilliant. He is easily among my favorite characters, up there with Ron, Fred and George, and Lupin. A nerdy, nervous, nice Malfoy. Perfect!

My general feeling after reading it was, "Oh, that was nice, but she could have done a lot better." As it is, she lazily released the play script instead of novels, no doubt having already sold the movie rights. It disconcerts me that she treats her readers as mere commodities to milk profit from. An aesthetic, she is not.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

DanielofRedwall

Has anyone taken the new patronus quiz on Pottermore? I took it and got a crow, which is legitimately what I've always said my patronus would be, so go figure. :D

(Also, I got Ravenclaw and Pukwudgie, and my wand is alder, dragon heartstring, 13" slightly springy.)
Received mostly negative reviews.

Rosie Willowwater