News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Irony in the Redwall series?

Started by Skyblade, February 07, 2015, 06:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyblade

I like irony. It's interesting and unexpected. Hence why I hope there are ironic moments in the Redwall series. I'm not sure how many occurrences there are though, so I'll see how this goes.

Anyway, one ironic moment I thought of is in Mossflower. In the beginning of the novel, the evil wildcat Tsarmina laughs and says that Martin the Warrior could never kill her. Guess what happens at the end of the book. Another ironic aspect of this is that a mouse ended up killing a cat.

Can you all think of any other moments of irony and/or ironic things you noticed in the series?

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Jetthebinturong

Technically Martin doesn't kill her, she drowns herself rather than face him. Even if he did kill her, it wouldn't be ironic, ironic means "contrary to what you'd expect" because Martin is the hero in this book, we expect him to kill Tsarmina, therefore it's not irony because it's only ironic to the character and not the audience. If anything it's ironic that he doesn't kill her
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Skyblade

I think it was ironic because she said she would never be killed by him but it ends up happening :-\ And yes, you have a point that she technically wasn't killed by Martin. But it was because she was fighting and trying to escape him that she ended up drowning at all. He didn't directly cause her death, but he did provoke it to happen.

It's really a matter of perspective, and I don't want to go too into debate. Very good observations, anyway.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Wot, wot!

:)

I thought of Martin the Warrior on the wall top of Marshank shouting to Badrang that he will live to slay him and get his father's sword back... And he did
"Get him! Grab that spy! I want his head!"
Basil chuckled. "What's the matter? Isn't your own head good enough? No, I don't suppose it is. Ugly-looking brute, aren't you?" -Basil to Cluny the Scourge (Redwall)

"The second you change "I can't" into "why not", you can do anything in the world."

Lady Ashenwyte

I don't think that's ironic, that's just a promise he fulfilled.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Captain Tammo

I think it's ironic how the Urgan Nagru is killed in The Bellmaker (don't want to give any spoilers). I certainly didn't see that one coming.

The same goes for the identity of Slagar and his death in Mattimeo
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior