News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Time in Redwall

Started by Storm, July 29, 2011, 05:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Storm

How long do you think a season is in Redwall? That's the only measurement of time in Redwall that I remember. It seems that a season lasts longer in Redwall than in the real world. Is it only me or does any one have something to explain it?
Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears.
I have come to bury Caesar, not praise him.
"Julius Caesar" by William Shakespeare

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Brian Jacques said a season is just that, a season of spring, summer, autumn or winter. Exactly what a season is in our world.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Nightfire

One season is three months. Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter are all thre months long. So four seasons in Redwall is the equivelent of one year in our world.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Captain Tammo

I think he used seasons as if they were years to animals because they don't live as long as humans
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: Captain Tammo on July 29, 2011, 06:31:12 PM
I think he used seasons as if they were years to animals because they don't live as long as humans
Yeah. It's a clever idea!  ;D
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Skalrag of Marshank

That's what I always thought...
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

rakkety tam

Quote from: Captain Tammo on July 29, 2011, 06:31:12 PM
well thats the way it is in real life my dog in dog years or seasons or whatever is 4
rock'n'roll  will survive

25% nerd 25% redneck 25% rocker 25% Redwaller  100% me

If war must come, let it come during my generation, so that my children will know peace

Tiria Wildlough

Like I said, it is a very clever idea. Still, it doesn't really work with mice, but really well with animals like badgers.
Take Cregga. She lived to be VERY old, and I heard of a badger living to about twenty years. Assuming Cregga lived that long, you only need to do the maths, and there you have it.
20 x 4 = 80
;) Just my idea! I might be way off, though.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Lutra

Well I think it could work with the mice.  Say one lived three years....12 seasons...I think it fit.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Redwall Musician

We must remember that this is Mossflower country. It's fictional. So they don't have the same laws of time and stuff. Basically, in our imaginations there is no limit. So though in real life a mouse might live only a two years (sorry, I don't know much about mice). In Mossflower, the fictional land created by Brian, mice can live much longer.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Lutra

Well 12 seasons, 3 years, not too shabby for a mouse.  I think the basic season fits, even though this is a story of fiction.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Skalrag of Marshank

Well, in Taggerung, Tagg was 15 seasons old and he was still pretty young, so I would think one season is one year, but I dunno... :-\ Sorry!
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Matthias720

I think that makes more sense, seeing as how some of the older mice make reference to things that happened more than 12 seasons back.

Icefire

It totally makes sense in my mind to have seasons = years.....Now the question is, how many of you use a seasonal calendar rather than a yearly calendar?
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Lutra

^ Because we're Redwall fans and mark time in seasons?  :P  I can't think of a single person that would need one when everyone works by years.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra