News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The Revenant - Review - No Spoilers

Started by Blaggut, January 16, 2016, 07:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blaggut

I went to the theater yesterday and saw The Revenant. Overall I found it quite good, I'll rate it a 7 or 8. It's about a man whose wife is killed, and then in the show someone kills his Indian son. So he's mauled by a bear and they 'bury' him under about an inch of dirt, face still showing, alive. He escapes and goes on a quest for vengeance. Here's a more thorough review:

Historical Accuracy: Very good as far as I can tell. When he was firing pistols he may have gotten two shots with the same one, didn't see it clearly though. There were more Pawanee and Sioux than I expected. One of my favorite eras, and I found it quite fun to watch it. Interesting thing, Indians weren't depicted as total innocent victims. They killed a white man when they found one, and the white man returned the favor. Historically accurate.

Speaking Parts: There were actually very few, but what was there was a lot better then most Hollywood. Leonardo DiCaprio did quite well I would say, and even the more minor characters were very well portrayed. When there wasn't anything to hear, it made up for in...

Cinematography: Beutiful. Simply beatuiful. So beatiful I can't spell. Huge rivers, grand waterfalls, bootyful forests, grim cliffs, turmoiling watersheds, babbling streams, snowy clearings: all of it looked amazing. It was filmed up in the colder states, as there was snow everywhere.

Fight Scenes: Greatly filmed, realistic, good makeup work. R.I.P Horse(s). One problem is realisticly, all the cuts from being mauled by a bear would have been infected, and he would've died. Maybe the Indian healed it and I didn't see it. Back in those days, a scratch and you were dead.

Storyline: Quite good, I'd say, though blander then other movies. But hey, its a movie, not a book. Guess its not fair to give it a hard time.

Hollywood Influence: One problem is they seemed to fall into one of the ruts of Hollywood: Shock Value. Who can do the most disgusting or crazy things? In this movie it was eating raw things. He ate so much raw stuff. Fish, Buffalo, etc. All raw.
~Just a soft space boi~

Skyblade

Nice review, Blaggut! Are you going to write more of them on other movies?

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Blaggut

~Just a soft space boi~

Skyblade

I hardly watch movies, too. I'd rather be working on my book ;)

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!