News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Are the vermin treated unfairly?

Started by Ashleg, December 20, 2014, 03:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hickory

Quite an interesting topic, I believe.

So James's opinion on romsca is correct, and I have to agree wholeheartedly. However, we must take into consideration that vermin are driven by a single thing: Fear. So even if they are intentionally driven to commit a act of bloodshed, they could still be driven by fear. Admit it, every person must face their fear, but vermin don't. They seek to escape it, thus putting them under its control. So, to a certain point, vermin are treated unfairly (BTW, see my post in WHy di the vermin go bad? topic.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Starla1431

I say yes and no. There are times where the vermin deserve the harsh treatment. Then there are times where the woodlanders were to unfair. 

MeadowR

Yes, I think sometimes they are treated somewhat unfairly. Actions by woodlanders can be a little drastic on some 'vermin' when you rather feel they aren't through-and-through bad and perhaps could learn to redeem themselves. Though if B.J. really was thinking more black and white terms then I guess maybe all those baddies killed would have gone on to be more bad? Certainly those who were ready to kill. Perhaps the thieves could have been redeemed yet.

Anyway, I'd like to think some vermin could become better beasts and that woodlanders could have some better understanding of such vermin.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

LT Sandpaw

I think the fact that The Goodbeasts are so blood thirsty some times makes them worse then some vermin,

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

JangoCoolguy

Depends on the situation and the book. It should be noted that almost every tale lets some vermin survive, mainly lesser low-level thugs and common crooks. Though yeah, somewhere around the halfway point Jacques was all "Kill 'em all at let Martin sort 'em out."

Why not let some of the feral cats survive High Rhulain ? Would it have really hurt to let the last 6 members of Gulo's horde live? What would've been so wrong with letting some of those birds and reptiles escape in Doomwyte? And I got to where I hated the shrews just as much as the vermin.

Thing is, I think Jacques finally realized it was a problem near the end. In The Sable Quean and The Rogue Crew he had woodlanders at least try to be decent to vermin and give other goodbeasts flak for being so eager to kill foebeasts.

Sure it was a rough & tumble world where things got down and dirty. But when the good guys aren't much different from the bad guys, it's a problem...

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: JangoCoolguy on January 02, 2015, 03:46:38 AM
Depends on the situation and the book. It should be noted that almost every tale lets some vermin survive, mainly lesser low-level thugs and common crooks. Though yeah, somewhere around the halfway point Jacques was all "Kill 'em all at let Martin sort 'em out."

Why not let some of the feral cats survive High Rhulain ? Would it have really hurt to let the last 6 members of Gulo's horde live? What would've been so wrong with letting some of those birds and reptiles escape in Doomwyte? And I got to where I hated the shrews just as much as the vermin.

Thing is, I think Jacques finally realized it was a problem near the end. In The Sable Quean and The Rogue Crew he had woodlanders at least try to be decent to vermin and give other goodbeasts flak for being so eager to kill foebeasts.

Sure it was a rough & tumble world where things got down and dirty. But when the good guys aren't much different from the bad guys, it's a problem...

One thing about it though, is that war is war, and the woodlanders must have thought them a threat, and in war, there is no good or bad, only death.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Hickory

LT Sandpaw

Ya except the Woodlander entire argument is that they are only fighting for their lives not to kill because they want too. I find that hard to believe when they massacre every single vermin warrior.
Many of the fights are so one sided as well.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Izeroth

That's why I like the Rogue crew. A decent number of woodlanders die in the final battle, and that makes it seem more realistic.

Søren

Charicter development plays a role as well. The good east must have a dark side, that's what makes them less corny and perfect and stuff. They had savage emotions that could have surely been displayed by acts of violence like that.

I'm retired from the forum

Hickory

saxophone_cat

I think that in The Sable Quean Globby is treated unfairly by Skipper and Diggs. All he wanted was to try some cake and they beat him with an oven paddle! And he was young, too, so he could've had the potential to be good. Although I realize that he wasn't killed "on purpose" as in the woodlanders didn't plan on killing him.
The Chinese Fireball, ooooh!

Dannflower Reguba

"An enemy who's dead, ain't an enemy no more." A very well put phrase from Marlfox.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Lady Ashenwyte

You know, I fear a few badger lords now that I see that they are so eager to end innocent lives.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Ashleg