How big are the largest of the vermin armies?

Started by Sebias of Redwall, February 27, 2019, 08:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebias of Redwall

I had been wondering "how big was the rat army in malkariss" when I realized that there are quite a few books where they don't say how big the vermin army is specifically. like the one in Lord Brocktree, so here we are. Based off your analysis, how big are the largest of the vermin armies.

P.S. This is the first topic that I've started so it'll be interesting seeing where it goes.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Tungro

This was put together by James Gryphon a while ago,

Cluny The Scourge's Horde
Commander: Cluny the Scourge
Numbers: About 500
Species: Mostly rats; some weasels, ferrets and stoats
Accomplishments: Tore across the continent and killed countless numbers of creatures prior to Redwall. The only force to ever completely succeed in conquering, and briefly holding Redwall Abbey. Met its final defeat after a surprise attack from five hundred Guosim, a thousand Sparra warriors, the surviving Redwallers, Squire Gingivere, and Captain Snow.

The Thousand Eyes Army
Commander: Originally Lord Verdauga Greeneyes; during Mossflower, Tsarmina Greeneyes
Numbers: My memory's poor, but probably 2-3 hundred
Species: Rats, weasels, ferrets, stoats; some foxes after Bane's mercenaries arrived
Accomplishments: Ruled over Mossflower for many seasons, and under Lord Greeneyes, crushed a woodlander rebellion led by the badger Barkstripe. Under Tsarmina, fought and was eventually defeated by a revived Corim, who used a catapult and an artificial flood to destroy Kotir.

The Corpsemakers
Commander: Usually Ferahgo the Assassin; very occasionally his son Klitch
Numbers: Numbered at about 4,000
Species: Rats, weasels, ferrets, stoats, and foxes
Accomplishments: Conquered the Northlands, and killed and plundered untold numbers of creatures in Ferahgo's extremely long career. Besieged Salamandastron, poisoned their food supply, and nearly killed Lord Urthstripe. Broke apart after the Assassin's death and was defeated by an alliance of the remaining Long Patrol hares, the Guosssom (not to be confused with the similar Guosim), and some assorted allies.

Gabool's Corsairs
Commander: Gabool the Wild, King of Searats
Numbers: Probably 4-5 hundred
Species: Rats
Accomplishments: Ruled the oceans for many seasons, capturing ships such as Periwinkle in the process. Finally defeated by a slave rebellion, assisted by Badger Lord Rawnblade, Mariel, and company.

The Rapscallions
Commander: Originally Gormad Tunn, during The Long Patrol, Damug Warfang
Numbers: 1,000
Species: Rats, weasels, ferrets, stoats, foxes
Accomplishments: Attempted to conquer Salamandastron, but was defeated by the massive Long Patrol stationed there. Finally destroyed at the Battle of the Ridge, despite early success, after Long Patrol reinforcements arrived and surrounded them.

The Blue Hordes
Commander: Ungatt Trunn
Numbers: About 7,500
Accomplishments: Defeated an anemic Long Patrol and conquered Salamandastron, becoming the only force to ever succeed in doing so. Starved from lack of food supplies; the survivors were narrowly defeated by a reformed Long Patrol and their allies.

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: Tungro on February 27, 2019, 08:37:49 PM
This was put together by James Gryphon a while ago,

Cluny The Scourge's Horde
Commander: Cluny the Scourge
Numbers: About 500
Species: Mostly rats; some weasels, ferrets and stoats
Accomplishments: Tore across the continent and killed countless numbers of creatures prior to Redwall. The only force to ever completely succeed in conquering, and briefly holding Redwall Abbey. Met its final defeat after a surprise attack from five hundred Guosim, a thousand Sparra warriors, the surviving Redwallers, Squire Gingivere, and Captain Snow.

The Thousand Eyes Army
Commander: Originally Lord Verdauga Greeneyes; during Mossflower, Tsarmina Greeneyes
Numbers: My memory's poor, but probably 2-3 hundred
Species: Rats, weasels, ferrets, stoats; some foxes after Bane's mercenaries arrived
Accomplishments: Ruled over Mossflower for many seasons, and under Lord Greeneyes, crushed a woodlander rebellion led by the badger Barkstripe. Under Tsarmina, fought and was eventually defeated by a revived Corim, who used a catapult and an artificial flood to destroy Kotir.

The Corpsemakers
Commander: Usually Ferahgo the Assassin; very occasionally his son Klitch
Numbers: Numbered at about 4,000
Species: Rats, weasels, ferrets, stoats, and foxes
Accomplishments: Conquered the Northlands, and killed and plundered untold numbers of creatures in Ferahgo's extremely long career. Besieged Salamandastron, poisoned their food supply, and nearly killed Lord Urthstripe. Broke apart after the Assassin's death and was defeated by an alliance of the remaining Long Patrol hares, the Guosssom (not to be confused with the similar Guosim), and some assorted allies.

Gabool's Corsairs
Commander: Gabool the Wild, King of Searats
Numbers: Probably 4-5 hundred
Species: Rats
Accomplishments: Ruled the oceans for many seasons, capturing ships such as Periwinkle in the process. Finally defeated by a slave rebellion, assisted by Badger Lord Rawnblade, Mariel, and company.

The Rapscallions
Commander: Originally Gormad Tunn, during The Long Patrol, Damug Warfang
Numbers: 1,000
Accomplishments: Attempted to conquer Salamandastron, but was defeated by the massive Long Patrol stationed there. Finally destroyed at the Battle of the Ridge, despite early success, after Long Patrol reinforcements arrived and surrounded them.

The Blue Hordes
Commander: Ungatt Trunn
Numbers: About 7,500
Accomplishments: Defeated an anemic Long Patrol and conquered Salamandastron, becoming the only force to ever succeed in doing so. Starved from lack of food supplies; the survivors were narrowly defeated by a reformed Long Patrol and their allies.

Okay thanks. Does anyone know how big the rat armies from Mattimeo are?"

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Jetthebinturong

The 7500 estimate for Ungatt's horde is based on shoddy reasoning and is not canon. It's based on the idea that Ungatt probably had around 300 soldiers per ship, but it says the ships in his fleet ranged in size from galleons to small fishing boats, so there's no way to get an average number for the crews of each.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Grond

Where was the estimate or number of 4000 for Ferahgo's army derived from ?? Was it ever mentioned in the book or? I always imagined his army numbered a couple hundred... 

Tungro

You would have to ask James, this was just copy and paste

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: Grond on February 27, 2019, 10:15:37 PM
Where was the estimate or number of 4000 for Ferahgo's army derived from ?? Was it ever mentioned in the book or? I always imagined his army numbered a couple hundred... 
On the Redwall Wiki it says that Ferahgo had claimed to have more than 4,000 under his command.

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Steelinghades

Quote from: Sebias of Redwall on February 27, 2019, 08:43:19 PM

I'd say probably five to ten score. In addition, the numbers above for the blue hordes are out of wack, you need way more then seventy five hundred to do what they did, though I'd say it is close. Personally I'd put their numbers at ten thousand to fifteen thousand.

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: Steelinghades on March 08, 2019, 12:52:10 AM
I'd say probably five to ten score. In addition, the numbers above for the blue hordes are out of wack, you need way more then seventy five hundred to do what they did, though I'd say it is close. Personally I'd put their numbers at ten thousand to fifteen thousand.
That sounds kinda like what I thought.

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Jack the Quick

I'd say about 2,000 to 5,000, considering how large Malkariss's underground city was and how the hordes were described as being endless.
'I ate the sharpest tool in the shed'

"Inconceivable!" ~Vizzini, The Princess Bride

"Art is never complete, only abandoned," ~Leonardo da Vinci

Long live the RRR!!

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: Jack the Quick on May 27, 2019, 11:31:44 PM
I'd say about 2,000 to 5,000, considering how large Malkariss's underground city was and how the hordes were described as being endless.
Sounds accurate.
Yeah, I kinda wish that BJ had given a few numbers in the books. But I guess that means us fans have more to speculate on. So that's good.  :D

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

The Skarzs

I think the rat hordes in Mattimeo are described as "hundreds upon hundreds". . . however you want to interpret that.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Jack the Quick

I suppose it would depend upon how many waves were sent, at about 200 a wave

Long live the RRR!!

Sebias of Redwall

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Jack the Quick

It is, I was just expanding my earlier post. How do you think these armies got recruited so fast? Its insane!

Long live the RRR!!