News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Roleplaying Questions

Started by Rose of Noonvale, July 01, 2011, 06:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paradox

If you're still having difficulty with names, you could just go to a name generator website, like Seventh Sanctum. They have generators for ALOT of things. Lovecraft names, elven names, 1800-sounding names, evil warlord names.. you name it :)
No, that won't work.. it makes too much sense!!

Romsca

Nah, not really, but thanks!

Dannflower Reguba

I just realized I don't know how to change topic names (on the outside). Anyone know?
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Rainshadow

You can change them by editing the first comment on a topic.  I know, I had problems for the longest time with them, too.  ;)
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Dannflower Reguba

Oh der, that would make sense.  ::) (Rolls eyes at self)
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Something Horrifying

Anyone have any advice for someone that would kind of like to try and run a RP, but never has before and is like...completely overwhelmed and terrified? o______________o
SEPULCHRITUUUUUUUUUUU-UUUDE!

Fanfics: Blackness (complete) --- Recovery (in progress)
Art: Art Thread --- MS Paint Redwall

Rainshadow

Quote from: Something Horrifying on January 11, 2013, 03:39:49 AM
Anyone have any advice for someone that would kind of like to try and run a RP, but never has before and is like...completely overwhelmed and terrified? o______________o

Oh, it's not that hard.  It's pretty much just RPing, but you're the leader of the group.  You get to tell everyone else what the story is and what they can or can't do.  ;)
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Romsca

I want to start one too! But I have no idea what the story would be

Redwaller

Quote from: Romsca on January 11, 2013, 12:34:01 PM
I want to start one too! But I have no idea what the story would be
Lol! Me it's the complete oposite! I have tons of ideas for fanfics and RPs!  :D

W0NWILL

Well, there's loads of ways you can do it. It can be something as simple as Redwall defending itself from a vermin attack(there aren't many of those), or something complex, and involves a cave that the band gets trapped in, as well as vermin invading Redwall while their in there, and when they get out, they find Redwall has been taken. That's one of my RPs that didn't go so well.

Something Horrifying

I mean, I have no shortage of ideas! My problem is usually too many! lol I just don't know how to effectively run a RP. Like giving players enough structure/plot without railroading, dealing with issues that arise, adapting the story to the actions of the characters, etc.

BrookSkimmer

Once you get going its not much of a problem giving structure and plot. I usually scaffold a basic plot but keep it open to changes and development. It's up to you how much you want to structure. As the host of an RP you get to decide all of that. The best way to figure it out is to just start one and see how things go. You can continue to adjust as the role play rolls out.

As far as adapting the story, you won't need to adapt if you design the plot enough. You can ask players to stay within the boundaries of the plot you set out.

My last note on this; just try it and adjust as you go. That's how I learned what to do and not do.  ;D

Something Horrifying

Thanks guys! I am going to do this. I AM MAKING THIS HAPPEN.  ;D

(Spent last night planning out my RP~ Hopefully I will get my OOC thread up today! This one's gonna be a little odd, I hope people are interested!)

Redwaller

Quote from: W0NWILL on January 11, 2013, 09:09:19 PM
Well, there's loads of ways you can do it. It can be something as simple as Redwall defending itself from a vermin attack(there aren't many of those), or something complex, and involves a cave that the band gets trapped in, as well as vermin invading Redwall while their in there, and when they get out, they find Redwall has been taken. That's one of my RPs that didn't go so well.
The reason why there isn't many ofthose is because it's become too stereotype. Almost every book by Brian has a vermin invader.

BrookSkimmer

Ok guys, that's enough discussion in here please. This thread is for questions not conversing for multiple posts about topics. Feel free to form a thread in the OOC roleplay section if you wish to continue this conversation. Thanks!