Redwall game: AMA! ... or TELL me anything if that's easier. :)

Started by cryptopur, January 15, 2019, 12:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cryptopur

Hi everybody,

I know we haven't been very active on this board for a while. The last 12-18 months have really been workWorkWORK just trying to get things to - more or less - where they are now.
Since a small (1 level), buggy, and (very) Early Access release on Steam for Xmas 2017, a year later and we'd released all 5 scenes in The Scout, Escape the Gloomer and a soundtrack.

We've still got a lot to do though and now seems like a good time to catch our breath, look up from the keyboard and start asking some questions.

First and foremost we wanted to make a game (and then games, plural) that delighted the Redwall fans. Specifically by accurately reflecting the world of Redwall.
Pleasing the "gaming" community is, of course, important, but it's a secondary goal to the first.

Would it be OK (moderators, I'm looking at you...) to ask  few questions? Either here, or if you prefer, to provide a link to some specific feedback questions?

Tungro

So I just bought the game the other day and it has been going okay so far (aside from slightly confusing instructions) but I am at Tussa's Wayfinding Course and I have spent several hours trying to find the last catch. My inventory says I have the stream catch, river catch, cave catch, and three bonus catches. I was wondering of anyone else knows where the last one is or if they have a link to a video with someone who has made it that far.

Captain Tammo

@cryptopur You've got the green light (also check your forum inbox - I'm sending over a PM)!

I've been having a ball with Escape the Gloomer, and just wanted to compliment you and the team on a job well-done there. The puzzles are tricky, and there have been times I've had to shut the game down and circle back later after thinking of new ideas. It's a great feeling finally getting through a chapter that I've been struggling with for a while (I won't be shy about it - I'm not as great as I'd thought I'd be at that game, lol)!

ALSO, I gotta say, I really liked the Gilligan's Island song lyrics Easter egg you guys slipped in there near the beginning. That show's before my time, but there was a stretch when I was little where one of the only channels my family had on the TV was the old "TVLand", and the re-runs of that show were a favorite of mine :)
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Nadaz, voice of the host

I really need to get around to downloading the game, I'm just wondering, can you put the game on a flash drive?
It matters not what you fight, but what you fight for.

Scott.Adams

Both games are currently available on Steam which requires you to install Steam on your Apple Max or WIndows PC. Then the game is downloaded to that computer and stored there. You can download it on multiple machines but you do need to install Steam on each one.

cryptopur

Thanks @Captain Tammo  - I remember that 'put-it-down-have-an-idewa-come-back-later' experience being just what I remember from Scott Adam's earlier games which were such a big part of my formative gaming experiences. I'm glad to hear that same experience has been faithfully preserved for new players. :)

cryptopur

Totally agree @Tungro - I'd say that we've been very focused (and busy) just building content over the last 6-12 months that the game as of today is short on clear communication and edge-case bug catching. That said- when the Woodlander Update came out in December that shifted all available resources to bugs, polish, and play communication.
I will say that running early access on Steam probably had the unintended consequence of focusing our attention on mechanics over story when frankly the game was always imagined as a primarily story-driven game. Now on the bright side I think we have a much richer feature-set than we would have had otherwise but at this point we're looking yup and thinking we overcorrected in that regard and need to polish up the narrative elements more so they're on par.

James Gryphon

I got both of the current games during this holiday season, though I haven't had as much time to look over them as I'd like. Overall I'm quite happy with both of them; from what I've seen so far, the narratives strike a great balance, being faithful to the source material and also adding just a hint of the writer's style to things. I know there are a few people who've been unreasonably harsh about some of the creative decisions that've been made, but I have to say that the irritations I have with the games are all technical.
« Subject to editing »