News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Musicians

Started by Tiria Wildlough, November 26, 2011, 02:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What instrument do you play... how long have you played it?

Flute
10 (21.7%)
Saxophone (any type)
2 (4.3%)
Piano
23 (50%)
Guitar
11 (23.9%)
Percussion(drums, bells, etc.) specify
6 (13%)
Clarinet (any type)
6 (13%)
Oboe
1 (2.2%)
Trombone
1 (2.2%)
Baritone
1 (2.2%)
Trumpet
4 (8.7%)
Tuba
1 (2.2%)
Strings (violin, cello, etc.)specify
15 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Kade Rivok

Hahaha, yeah, those are pretty fun pieces.  Good choices!
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

One-Eye the wildcat

"What will become of us? Where will we go, we who wander this vast wasteland in search of our better selves?"

"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos."
Long live the RRR!!

Kade Rivok

Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

shisteer of nothing much

I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

One-Eye the wildcat

"What will become of us? Where will we go, we who wander this vast wasteland in search of our better selves?"

"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos."
Long live the RRR!!

shisteer of nothing much

That is exactly how I feel about rock music.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Cornflower MM

Quote from: shisteer of nothing much on October 13, 2019, 03:41:04 AM
That is exactly how I feel about rock music.

My heart hurts a little bit. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

I've been thinking of picking up the violin again, but I haven't decided. I don't really know where I would get lessons.

Sebias of Redwall

I've done a teeny bit of piano, but that's more of because it's one of the few instruments in our house.
I also like to sing horribly
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

I think the best part of playing a musical instrument is when you get to the stage you can hear a song and just figure out how to play it. Pianos can be very useful for this. (and they're generally fun to play with)

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

I play violin. I can play a bit of guitar, ukulele and piano, but I don't really count that. I'm also part of a handbells group. I sing in the school choir (and I'm not very good).

The other day I was wondering if any of the songs or poems in any of the Redwall books had been or could be made into actual pieces.
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

shisteer of nothing much

They probably have, although I wouldn't know where to find them. If they haven't been done,  they could be.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Kade Rivok

For the pieces in books that have had audiobooks made, yes.  The songs and such are sung, though not all of them have accompaniment.  Some do though. 
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Jarky Thistlebrush

Quote from: Booklover on October 19, 2019, 09:01:38 PM
I play violin. I can play a bit of guitar, ukulele and piano, but I don't really count that. I'm also part of a handbells group. I sing in the school choir (and I'm not very good).

The other day I was wondering if any of the songs or poems in any of the Redwall books had been or could be made into actual pieces.
Yay! Another violinist!
The following is a list of things to bring on holiday:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
42 ~ Seb's Humility ~ Seb's toothbrush ~ Seb's soul ~ Half a Plane ~ Your Toothbrush ~ A creeping anxiety every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Pure Terror every time you look at your toothbrush ~ Death every time you look at your toothbrush

I had to move everything off the list but the bare essentials to make way for this:

shisteer of nothing much

Yes, welcome to the club. Violins are great.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Hickory

Violins SUCK and are USELESS, and let me tell you why:

1. They don't have a C STRING. This is a glaring flaw and automatically disqualifies the violin from being good, even without the following.
2. They are EASY. What's a good instrument if anyone can play it? Instrument like the viola, cello, and double bass are HARD, and thus anyone who plays them is BETTER (as is the instrument).
3. They can't go LOW. See point #1. Cellos and violas can go low. Basses, though they can go the lowest, also lack a C string, but their low pitch gets them into the "not bad" category (still, contrabass is on THIN ice).
4. EVERYONE plays them. No, seriously. Brett and Eddy, Paganini, Perlman, Bell, ad nauseam... it's just too mainstream of an instrument. Real musicians choose less played instruments, like the hurdy-gurdy.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.