[Ratty Driftwood] OOC Discussion/Sign-Up

Started by Faclan, January 12, 2020, 04:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faclan

Hello everyone! Long time Redwall fan glad to have found another forum after feeling the urge to type out words in the universe again. Glad to see an active site again :>

This was an idea I had while listening to some of the audio books during my nightshift and here it be, hopefully it will let lots of different people take part!

The thread would begin with the remains of two Searat vessels sinking into the crushing depths of the sea after a stormy battle. The ships limped away from each other to try and salvage it but in the end were forced into the smaller escape/jolly boats to attempt escape. Still working out how many small boats will make it to Mossflowers shores.

Each small boat would have some officers from each ship, I'd be sure to note who in what, as well as some oarslaves and supplies that were thrown on them for work and living. A few Pirates would make it to the shore clinging to wood as well but the boats would likely be the main aim. However the storm and night would be hard to see and paddle through. As such the boats were all exasperated when dawn finally came.

As such the thread would have various boats trying to not die as they land such places as; Salmandrastron, the great coast, River Moss, or other fuuuun places! How will the two crews take to this land?! Who knows!

That was the basic idea at least, open to suggestion and discussion of course and I look forward to loads of fun with you all! :D

Thanquol

Faclan

That was the hope! Places for Hares, Woodlanders, and wanderers to join. Could even be part of the Pirate crews if you wished :D

shisteer of nothing much

*is intrigued* This sounds very interesting. I'll get 'round to making a character tomorrow, probably. I'd love to be part of the vermin crew.
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Kade Rivok

I wouldn't mind being a part of another RP.  Been a minute since I played a vermin, but should be fun.  I'll see if I can get a char put together.
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Faclan

:D! Glad to see such an eager reaction to the thread! I'll put up some possible spots people can fill. And just because the vessels are Searat ones doesnt mean the officers/captains need to be them. Just means likely a lot of the NPC crewbeasts would be rats. Any positions not directly filled could be NPCed, or they could have died in the battle preceding the sinking! If someone picks Captain they could also change the name of the vessel if they would like. When the thread starts it would likely be two officers to a small escape boat each with a handful of crewbeasts and oarslaves. Of course you could also be someone who is already on the shore to see the Pirates arriving. OR one of the crewbeasts/officers who didnt get to a boat in time and so washed onto the shore clinging to driftwood. So three smaller escape craft per big ship.

I personally have a Searat I've been playing for awhile that is often a Navigator. But if others want to play that position I will happily fill another spot :D

Bladewave/The Evil Tide Ship;
Captain - Mharbrow PhantomPaint (Fox( @shisteer of nothing much )
First mate - Firestripe (Fox( @Kade Rivok )
Navigator/Surgeon - Belladonna Redblade (Fox ( @Ebantu the Kararehe )
Quartermaster -
Boatswain -
Surgeon - (Belladonna holds this position, could always have an assistant)
Misc. Crewbeasts -

Keelteeth Ship;
Captain -
First mate -
Navigator - Tulian Ador/Keeneye (Rat(Played by meeee))
Quartermaster -
Boatswain -
Surgeon - Chiptooth (Mink( @lass of something much ))
Misc. Crewbeasts -

Shore starters;
Hares, Shrews, Otters, travelers, whatever takes your fancy!

Shall update this list as people sign up ^.^

shisteer of nothing much

Can I be a captain, please? (I'll probably get 'round to making my character tomorrow afternoon, if not sooner)

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Faclan

Of course you can :D. Vermin or good beast it's all good.

Kade Rivok

I'll be a firstmate then, if that's cool.  I'll revive my old char from Redwall Corsairs who was a large black fox firstmate.  I'll make him less of a Mary Sue (Marty Stew) this time around though  ;D 

I'll get his profile here soon.

**EDIT**

SO, like i said, I tried to tone down his Mary Sue-ness.  I'll post how he USED to be as well so you can see the difference  ;D  If there's anything that you feel I should change, though, just let me know!

Firestripe
Name: Firestripe
Species: Fox

Ship: Undetermined, probably whatever ship Teer captains.
Position: First Mate

----------
Bio
----------

Physique/Fur/Looks/Clothes
Firestripe is a beast of a fox.  He stands well over 6 and a half feet tall with a body of muscle that he's built over the years through labor and purposeful exercise.  Being physically stronger than most, he tends to make use of this advantage whenever possible in battle.  The soft, thick fur that covers him is dark, almost black, and interspersed with specks of silvery grey.  On his head, the regular orange-red fur of a fox manifests itself as double crescent moon shaped stripes with the points coming together just above his eyes and at the base of his skull.  This, of course, is where his name comes from.  His one good eye is grey with speckles of gold barely noticeable, and sits beneath permanently furrowed brows, giving him an ever-present scowl.  Where his other eye used to be is now an eyepatch, a scar visibly running underneath it from above to below.  He has a number of other ugly scars across his body as well, but his fur is thick enough that they aren't usually visible.  Another notable thing about him is the way he walks.  He doesn't have a wooden leg, but he still walks with a permanent limp; a leftover gift from a long dead foe.  Because of this, he isn't exactly light on his feet, and running is a bit difficult for him.  The best he can usually manage is a short sprint.  He has no tattoos nor piercings, and is actually fairly well spoken for a sea vermin.  Some of the crew has even gone as far as saying that he sounds like "a real gen'le beast", much to his amusement.  In battle he wields a pair of large sabers made especially for him and a number of throwing daggers tucked into the back of his belt.

Personality

He's quite a docile fellow, as far as wave vermin go.  Unlike most pirates, he isn't one to go around drinking and making a fool of himself.  It's much easier for somebeast to take advantage of you when your mind is muddled like that, in his opinion.  He also isn't one to be needlessly cruel, preferring to get along with those under him (and above him).  Of course, vermin being vermin, he has to put down fools when need be, but he tries to keep that to a minimum.  He's found that life is a lot easier when people like you, that way you don't have to worry as much about somebeast trying to stab you in the back.  He still raids and pillages as any pirate does, but he sees it more as a necessary evil to survive.  No "goodbeast" would ever treat him with any sort of decency, he learned that the hard way, so he'll take what he needs.  Despite his "friendly" demeanor, he rarely trusts anybeast enough to label them as a friend, and so generally has a detached feeling towards others.

History

Firestripe once had a mother and father, Menala and Zierstune, and once had a different name, though what it was has been long forgotten.  When he was young, they'd been a part of a roving band of vermin lead by a stupid, but strong ferret by the name of Chogutt.  They were a vicious group, killing and stealing wherever they went and constantly fighting other groups for territory.  Of course, as the way things go, eventually their group fell and was absorbed into another.  During the transition, though, somehow his family had gotten on the wrong side of the new chief.  His parents enabled him to escape, though it cost them their lives.  After that, he traveled on his own for a long time.  He was young during that period,and didn't trust other vermin after what had happened, so he tried to find woodlanders, goodbeasts, to help him.  Unfortunately he was large for his age, appearing to be a young adult, and so had been nearly killed by any he'd had the courage to approach.  Through that, he learned not to trust the so called "goodbeasts" either.  Though the years were tough, he eventually found work on a ship, taking to the sea and never looking back.  Here was where he learned how to deal with other beasts, to make them like him and thereby protecting himself from them.
[close]

And below is his old (and poorly written) char profile which I will NOT be using  :laugh:

Old Firestripe Char

NOTE: Firestripe and the char of one of the other members (Scarlet) were dating, which is why she gets mentioned so much.  Also, this setting had gunpowder, so guns where a thing.

Name: Dantin Firestripe (goes by Firestripe)
Species: Black Fox

Ship: Nightpearl
Position: First Mate
Map Pieces: None

----------
Bio
----------

Physique/Fur/Looks/Clothes

Firestipe is a huge beast of a fox. He is around seven feet and four inches tall which means he pretty much towers over nearly every other beast. Not only is he tall, he is amazingly strong. His muscles are not only built from the hard living of a pirate but also due to him actually working out so as to keep a fit body. He could easily lift most creatures with only one paw which makes him quite fearsome in battle for he uses his paws and claws a lot more than a normal beast would. Even with all these qualities that have been stated so far, he would not stand out as he does if it wasn't for his fur. He has a coat the color of a moonless night and it gives him a menacing look even more so than what he would have had otherwise. The thing is, though, he has a strange red-ish orange-ish stripe that is located on his head. It is shaped like a double crescent moon shape with the points coming together just above his eyes and at the base of his skull. His fur is quite soft and thick, though through no actions of his own, and is almost always very warm. His fur, for reasons unbeknownst to him, holds warmth for longer periods of time than normal fur does. This is actually a really great help to him because it is not always warm on the high seas, especially when they head up north where it's really cold. What's strange, though, is that his fur doesn't really have a sheen to it. It just seems to absorb all light and leaves none of that glossy appearance that one would normally get from fur. This can sometimes throw off the eye of somebeast looking at him because it is so odd. This is actually extremely helpful for him because it makes him nearly invisible at night or even during the day when there are good enough shadows for him to use. His face is permanently set in a fierce expression and when he smiles, it just makes him look all the more evil. Even so, it is more of a fierce in a handsome way than just pure evil way. Some might even go as far as to say that he is quite handsome though he is oblivious of the fact. His eyes are the color of his stripe for some odd reason. It is not all that, though; there are flecks of gold interspersed throughout the iris and when the sun catches it right, they become the dominant color, suddenly turning his eyes a bright gold. This does not happen amazingly often but often enough for beasts to have noticed it every once in awhile in the past. These orbs within his head have a bit of a mesmerizing quality to them. They are not hypnotic, mind you, but they do certainly tend to un-nerve beasts when they see him in battle or when they are looked into for a longer period of time. Ok, so perhaps his clothes that he wears have seen better days but c'mon, he's a pirate for goodness sake! His sleeveless tunic is a dark burnt orange that is a more somber color so as to not stand out. As said before, his clothes have seen better days but they are still serviceable. Besides, it's not often one finds clothes big enough to fit him so he's gotta take what he can get. He does not have any tattoos nor does he have any piercing of any kind except those caused by a blade... heh. He doesn't see the need for such things so he doesn't get them. As you can tell, he's not one for extravagant things unless those extravagant things are also useful. One thing about himself that he is immensely proud of is that fact that, though he is a pirate vermin, he has good grammar. Some of the crew of the Nightpearl even says he sounds like a real "gen'le beast"

Personality

He is quite a docile fellow, as far as wave vermin go. Unlike most pirates, he doesn't go around drinking and sneering and trying to seem tough. He doesn't need to try and act tough because that fact is blatently obvious. He doesn't over drink because all that does is dull your senses and give other's a chance to take advantage of you. He doesn't act mean or cruel because doing that is pointless, why make somebeast follow your orders and hate you when you can make them follow your orders and like you? He is quite a good buddy and can, on occasion, be humorous. He's a loyal ally and dedicated worker. This al being said, if you cross him then you'd better watch out. He can sometimes have a bit of a short temper on certain subjects and then you'd better start running because if Firestripe has it in for you then your a dead beast. Those certain subjects can include bad mouthing Scarlet or bad mouthing Firetripe himself, for he is a very pridefull beast and that pride encompasses himself and those close to him, which is Scarlet. Though most of the crew are his friends, he doesn't consider himself close to any other beast. It usually doesn't come to this, though, because most of the vermin on the Nightpearl like him because he's such a good friend and ally, despite his rank, and they rarely talk badly about him and they know better than to talk badly about Scarlet, though they have little reason too.

Weapons

Firestripe has an array of weapons so I guess we'll start off with his blade first...

Zierstune

Firestripe had Zierstune special made just for himself by an expert weapon smith. He doesn't like to talk about how long he'd been saving up money so that he could have it made but it really needed to be done because he'd been going through swords at a fairly fast rate due to how small they were compared to his size and because he struck a lot harder than the normal wave scum did. It is a broadsword, except on a larger scale for it is somewhere between six to seven feet in length; he's pretty much the only one that can use it. It is a most fearsome blade that is sharpened on both edges and has a blood channel running down the length of the it. It is made of an extremely strong metal that is springy enough that it won't shatter upon hard impacts but is also sturdy enough that there is little chance of any damage actually coming to it. It's hilt is bound in leather though the leather does need replacing because it's getting fairly old. Firestripe likes to keep his weapons in fairly good repair so he's a bit self conscious about the hilt. The sword is named Zierstune after his father, though he's not likely to ever tell any beast that unless it's somebeast that he knows really well and they ask him about it. He won't talk about it at all unless they first ask. He doesn't like spend much time talking about his past too much.

Six-barreled Sluggers
(Sluggers for short)

Firestripe didn't try and come up with some special name for these weapons. He merely called them what they were. This pair of pistols are oversized to fit his size and therefore take much bigger ball shots than the normal pistol. Because of this he has to have his shots special made on board the ship so that he has a healthy supply for battle. I'm just gonna say that if you get hit with one of these babies, your probably not gonna make it because it'll tear a whole in you so big that you won't be able to stop the bleeding. These pistols were also special made for him but he didn't have to pay for these. The famous weapon smith Daytoi McLauter owed him big time for saving his life and livelihood at one point in the recent past. Firestripe called upon him to make him these pistols and holsters to go along with them. They each can fire six times without having to be reloaded and are surprisingly accurate due to the extended barrel that the guns have because they are oversized. Not many beasts can use these weapons because the kickback on them is quite large and would cause them to injure themselves unless the used it with both paws and they were quite prepared for the kickback.

Vera

Firestripe's pride and joy... Vera. In the most basic sense, Vera is a handheld cannon. It has a pistol grip with the trigger to go along with it and a heavily padded stock so as to not murder the shoulder of the user. It is large and extremely heavy, just perfect for Firestripe! It loads much like a pistol does except on a larger scale, obviously, so he can fire it at a fairly fast rate. This weapon he hadn't had special made for him, some crazy weapons smith had decided to make a handheld cannon that could be used by one beast. The reason it hadn't sold, though, was because nobeast that had wanted it as of yet could actually lift it all by themselves. The owner was extremely excited when Firestripe showed an interest in buying it and became even more excited upon seeing that Firestripe could lift it fairly easily. They struck a bargain and Vera became his. He doesn't have any real reason as to why he calls it Vera, or as to why he refers to Vera as a she, but he does. When asked, he just says that the name Vera seems to fit and Vera sounds like a more feminine name than masculine so it must be a she. He then usually laughs, leaving everybeast wondering as to whether he's actually joking or not.

History

Firestripe once had a mother and father, Menala and Zierstune, and way back then he went by his first name, Dantin. At the time, they traveled with a band of vermin that moved across the country side, releasing terror wherever they went. Dantin never participated in any of these raids though because he was too young at the time, even so, he had always been a rather big child and promised to be a powerful creature when he grew up. They battled with rival bands of vermin constantly for that's what these vermin bands did. They were always after each other's territory and never ceased wanting more. One day the scouts reported back from patrol with news that their number one rival band was in close proximity. The leader of Dantin's band, a large ferret by the name of Chobsnout, immediately called all his troops together and went off to ambush the enemy. Only those two young to fight were left behind but unfortunately Menala had been out foraging when the call to arms had been raised and she came back to find the camp deserted except for the young. She really didn't think much of it until what was left of their band came back. Nearly half of their numbers were gone, seemingly their ambush failed. Chobsnout was furious and, upon seeing Menala at the camp, came to the conclusion that she had been off warning the rival band about their ambush. Zierstune, one of the ones who had come back alive, stepped in between Chobsnout and Firestripe's mother and pleaded with him, saying that she would never do such a thing. Sadly for them, reason was lost upon the crazed leader and he had the rest of his crew tie them up. He told the rest of the vermin that they had sold them out to the enemy and that is why the ambush didn't work. For this, the penalty was death. Dantin was forced to watch as his parents where executed. First, his parents had been tortured in the normal manner, well, as normal as torture gets. They were beaten and sliced open and whipped until they were barely conscious. After all of this they where thrown in a nearby river with stones tied around their feet. All of this happened before Dantin's burning eyes. At the end when the bubbles stopped coming up to the top of the water, he snapped. He went into a horrible rage. Without a weapon, he attacked all the laughing and scornful faces that surrounded him with his bare paws. Before the execution, the vermin band had numbered thirty, afterward, they numbered zero. After they were all dead, every single one of them, he lost his rage and wandered the country side aimlessly for three sorrowfull years, not staying in one place for long. It was during this time that he built up his body and his mind into the formidable presence that makes up the basis of who Firestripe is. Before happening upon the Nightpearl he had built up a bit of a reputation and wealth under the name Firestripe as a sort of mercenary so he was able to at least make enough to feed himself. Though he desired a more permanent job, he had yet to find anybeast that he was willing to work for. None of them seemed to be trustworthy enough. One day, he had been walking parallel to a stream for about an hour when he spotted a large vessel moored close to the river bank apparently deserted. He approached the ship warily and was about to climb aboard to check it out when he heard rustling behind him. He whirled and brought his sword up in a defensive position. A youngish fox, older than him, had appeared behind him with a crew of assorted vermin. For some reason, Firestripe took a liking to the vixen captain that stood before him. He wasn't sure what it was, but he just felt that he could trust her. After some talk, Firestripe, joined the ships crew and quickly rose in the ranks until he was first mate.

----------------
Relationships
----------------

Family

As said before, he doesn't have any family left anymore.

Friends/Crewmates

Everyone of the other beasts on the Nightpearl are his crewmates but he doesn't really have any actual friends except, of course, Scarlet. Most of the crew seems to see him as their pal, for some reason. He guessed it was because he wasn't overly cruel and didn't have quite as much of a temper as Scarlet. When he gave the orders, he didn't try to lead through fear

Lovers/Crushes

Firestripe and Scarlet are very much in love.

Enemies

His only true enemies he had are dead now. Now, everybeast is liable to be an enemy, just depends on whether they side with him or try to fight him.

Subordinates

Seeing as how he is first mate and all, the only beast that isn't a subordinate to him is the captain herself, Scarlet.

Read more: http://redwallcorsairs.proboards.com/thread/507/dantin-firestripe#ixzz6B2Y1Cula
[close]
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Faclan

Looking good Kade! Could you and everyone else let me know what ship you wish to be a part of though for easier recording in the list?

Kade Rivok

Waiting for Teer to pick, I'll likely be part of her crew.
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

shisteer of nothing much

*rubs paws together eagerly* This is going to be very interesting indeed! Here's my character: (sorry he took so long. Feasts are tiring)

Spoiler
Name: Captain Mharbrow PhantomPaint. (though everybeast calls him Cap'n Dyemhar)

Role: Captain of The Evil Tide/Bladewave.

Species: Fox.

Age: Nobeast knows, though the cap'n seems to have a lot of experience.

Appearance: Light tan fur that's been dyed and tattooed in so many places that it's more dark green dye than plain fur. Each tattoo is of a different vanquished enemy and Mharbrow makes sure his rivals know it. He wears a light tan tunic with a broad belt around the waist which holds his three scabbards. He wears a tan scarf on his head and a leather thong around his wrist.

Personality: He prides himself as a strategist and tactician, thinking over every aspect of something before he places his trust in it, whether it be a friend, ship or new type of food or wine. Being evil and inclined to betray someone if bribed enough, he is also very suspicious of other beasts doing the same to him and he never tells his entire plan to one beast, but rather only tells each beast the task he needs to carry out.

History: Born on the frigid coast of the north, Mharbrow grew up as the youngest of four boys. His father was a corsair captain and, on a visit home when Mharbrow was twelve seasons old, the young fox asked his father if he could come pirating with him. His father laughed harshly, cuffed him round the ears and continued drinking. Filled with rage and hate, Mharbrow killed his father and three brothers, then took command of his father's ship and sailed away with any family treasures they possessed. His family members were the first to join the list of vanquished enemies and Mharbrow has continued pirating ever since, completely merciless to both victims and crewbeasts alike. Nothing aboard his ship escapes his notice and nobeast that displeases him has the chance to do it again.

Weapons: Mharbrow carries two long scimitars, which he wears on either side of his waist and fights with at the same time. He also has a long dagger which sits on his right hip.

Other: Mharbrow absolutely detests hedgehogs.
[close]

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Faclan

Nice profile @shisteer of nothing much ! (Still figuring out how to mention people)

Seems like the Bladewave is turning into quite the Brushship! :D Once we get a few more we can get this started.

shisteer of nothing much

Sweet! This is going to be heaps of fun. *wonders if it would be possible to drag @Ebantu the Kararehe  in as well*

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Faclan

I'll probably start this in a few days with what we have and others can join in the way. I'll probably throw my Rat navigator at your foxes as an enemy crew rat for fun :>