Commentary on Martin the warrior

Started by Dante8002, February 14, 2020, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dante8002

Now, Martin was an a expert swordsman & good strategist, but I think Brian Jaques made him sound better than he was. I thought all Badger Lords could probably make mincemeat of him & a few other warriors such as Finnbarr Galedeep & Ranguvar Foeseeker would beat him too. To be honest, I didn't really like him. But that's just my opinion.
Yalahoo!

Verdauga

Here's the thing though: he was a mouse. You may have a point with Foeseeker (it's been a while since I read the Bellmaker) but the badger lords are the toughest and most impressive of their species, and Finbar Galedeep was a large seafaring otter. They have the physical advantages over Martin in a fight. That said, he is probably as revered as he is  because he was the primordial warrior of Redwall, and people tend to honor ancestral heroes. But judging Martin as lesser because he could be beaten by the two largest and most capable species in the Redwall world is kinda unfair. Personally, I like the hare warriors over most others.
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Dante8002

I agree that it was unfair that I compared him to Ranguvar, but everyone doesn't think much of her! I'm glad you do.
Yalahoo!

shisteer of nothing much

The only problem I have with Martin is his attitude. He really doesn't have much patience and it annoys me how he snaps at beasts for just being generally annoying. A warrior should have more self control. (though I picked up the same from Matthias and, to a lesser extent, Mattimeo as well)
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Verdauga

This goes off topic, but I noticed the same treatment of Tugga Bruster in Doomwyte. I thought it was rather unfair.

And Dante, your comparison to Ranguvar is actually pretty close, given at least the size ratio.

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Dante8002

I think I've read Doomwyte, but can you remind me of Tugga Bruster?
Yalahoo!

Verdauga

Tugga was the log-a-log in Doomwyte, but the other characters (namely, the warrior of Redwall, the Skipper of Otters) kept undermining his authority in the GUOSIM and punishing him for how he treated the prisoners they took, despite their treating the prisoners (the painted ones) the same way. He was boisterous, and a bit of a blowhard, but he didn't deserve as much as he got

Dante8002

Yalahoo!

Verdauga

clunylooney

Quote from: Verdauga on March 02, 2020, 02:18:48 PM
Tugga was the log-a-log in Doomwyte, but the other characters (namely, the warrior of Redwall, the Skipper of Otters) kept undermining his authority in the GUOSIM and punishing him for how he treated the prisoners they took, despite their treating the prisoners (the painted ones) the same way. He was boisterous, and a bit of a blowhard, but he didn't deserve as much as he got
While I agree Skipper and Bosie didn'r really need to undermine him, he did want to kill the prisoners while Bosie, Skipper and the rest wanted them to just never attack goodbeasts again so they sent them on their way. Tugga Bruster still was a jerk to everyone, injured redwallers such as Dwink and Aluco and stole one of the eyes of Doomwyte! He also killed Chigid while Chigid was surrendering which is a horrible thing to do. I think he deserved what he got.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me