News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

My strange computer set-up

Started by Luftwaffles, June 17, 2020, 09:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Quote from: One-Eye the wildcat on June 18, 2020, 06:15:03 AM
... And I thought a GPU fluctuating 50$ was a lot.
Gives us some perspective, doesn't it?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Luftwaffles

Well... time to update you all with the latest developments on my pet project.

First of all, a bit of clarification: on the opening post I listed every devise by name... except the last one, which simply got called "the white phone over there". The reason for it is that its name was not listed anywhere on the devise itself! Talk about an afterthought! I only found out that its name is LG G2 Mini via another part of the set-up that was trying to connect to it.

Keep in mind that I got a lot of these second-hand, with no box nor manuals to them (and, in more than one occasion, no charger, either) so I could never figure out what this thing was. And it bothered me immensely.

What did NOT bother me, however, is the fact that my FIRST-EVER SMARTPHONE (Top House's I128) still works! Since it is actually older than my account on these forums, it can't really do much anymore, but its battery levels and WiFI receiver still prove excellent, so I decided to take some burden off the Aero 7 by turning this one into my music player instead. I think we are all happier for it.

Look at the smug black box, still sporting its Hartford's Yard Goats wallpaper, as if saying: "Reporting for duty, sir!":

I also tried another cool little app aptly called "Wallpaper Changer".

On the advise of @Nilla (whom I'm afraid may be too far gone on her dragon-slaying ways), I decided to try out some 4K Skyrim wallpapers... and my system is all the better for it.

This app is very nice, because it allows me to set up custom albums, choose how the images are displayed (whether they get stretched, scaled or thrown as-is), set in which order they are shown, set to a timer or --my personal favorite--: having them change by double-tapping on the Home Screen. To me, this is very awesome, and it breathes new life into the must soulless of tasks by showing you something awesome to stare at while you work. Everyone should have something like this installed on their devise.

Another app that I installed this time around (and out of sheer curiosity) was something called "Leena Launcher". What does it do? Well...

It turns Android's UI into Mac's!

I actually began digging for something like that out of curiosity ("it's Android, someone must have done it") and not only did this thing exist, but there's a whole array of "custom UIs" for turning Android's look and feel into other system's. Besides Mac, there's iOS, Windows (obviously), Ubuntu... and even Linux's command line.

Why would you EVER want to operate a touchscreen devise through command lines? Regardless, I think it's awesome that it even exists.

As for Leena... despite it being in BETA, there are a few things to it that I like and make me wanna stick around for it.

First and foremost: It doesn't replace your current Launcher, it merely opens on top of it. This is important because, in my experience, Launchers aren't the most reliable of things, so having one that can be switched back at a press of a button to a version that you know it's working is very relieving indeed.

I also like that it lets you go wild with customization (although, it does clash with the aforementioned "Wallpaper Changer") allowing you to even remove its own updater and custom shortcuts out of the way. I liked this so much that I immediately had it mimic my current desktop... and I took little time to get used to it as a result.

And man oh man, do I like having WINDOWS to operate. For as much as I like Android, its way of handling multiple apps gets really annoying, really fast.

For the rest, I have barely scratched the surface with this app, so further analysis is required. But so far, so good.

Anything else? Yes, I found an old Samsung Galaxy on my drawer. If it still works (chances minimal), it'll get something to do among its peers. Don't worry.

Aaaand done!
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Cornflower MM

At some point that set up is either gonna turn into a super computer or somehow grow appendages and walk away (Or both)... And I very much look forward to that xD

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Cornflower MM on July 05, 2020, 04:54:46 PM
At some point that set up is either gonna turn into a super computer or somehow grow appendages and walk away (Or both)... And I very much look forward to that xD

I could swear things are never on the same place I left them.

Mmmm... xD

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

Nilla

@Luftwaffles Don't forget about the screenshot of Skyrim I took that you so meanly stole from me. ;)

Luftwaffles

Quote from: Nilla on July 05, 2020, 06:27:46 PM
@Luftwaffles Don't forget about the screenshot of Skyrim I took that you so meanly stole from me. ;)

You mean the one that was so incredibly blurry, it actually doubled as a TV censor template? That one? ;)

shisteer of nothing much

Very nice indeed, My Lord! Your abilities are truly astounding!

(Also, the banter between you and Nilla is rather amusing)
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Luftwaffles

So... bit of an immediate failure.

If Discord is opened in more than one devise, it feels like updating me on ALL of them, even if the nofications are seen on any of them.

This is rather annoying and it poses a problem when four or five devises start going off at the same when something happens on my account.

shisteer of nothing much

That's inconvenient. Is it necessary to have Discord open on more than one device?

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Luftwaffles

Quote from: shisteer of nothing much on July 09, 2020, 12:07:28 AM
That's inconvenient. Is it necessary to have Discord open on more than one device?

No, I just installed it on many as I were using them.

Now I have turned off notifications on all but two.

Let's see if it works.

shisteer of nothing much

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Luftwaffles

So... this is a bit of an odd one.

I had these two Samsung Galaxy phones thrown away in the back of my desktop drawer and, since I had deemed them both as "not working", I hadn't really paid any attention to them... until this very afternoon, when I decided to try my luck with them once more.

The white one (Galaxy Young 2) didn't even acknowledge charging, whilst the black one (model unknown) simply refused to turn on, despite it having a full battery... so I went full MacGyver on them and switched parts around, resulting in a quaint (yet hardly ideal) mini set-up, which requires me to charge my battery on the black phone and use it on the white one. It's really not very handy, but dang it! I love it precisely because of that.

No devise will be discarded under my watch :r

shisteer of nothing much

Heh, nice. What's the green bit?

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Luftwaffles

shisteer of nothing much

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!