News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Iron and Flame

Started by Sebias of Redwall, August 27, 2020, 06:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebias of Redwall

Author Notes:

Hello, hello!

This fic takes place no more than a season or so before the events of TGW. But just to clarify, TGW does not have to be read beforehand to enjoy this story. Here is a link to my FanFiction.Net profile for anyone who is interested in checking out my stories. https://www.fanfiction.net/u/11563210/Sebias-of-Redwall

I hope you all enjoy this story! Please review and share your thoughts. Shout out to Keldor and Keva Strongbow for proofreading and editing! Happy reading to you all!

Iron and Flame: Prologue
"We must poison him tonight, Hugh."

The two wildcats were in a tent, conversing in whispered tones. The tent's one lamp had been dimmed down, nearly matching the darkness outside. The rest of the camp was silent, save for a few snores and the sounds of chirping crickets.

The first creature was dressed in an officer's uniform. His whiskers twitched as he continued, "One of us has to do it before it's too late. Our client said to kill the king before he returned. It would be slightly awkward if we arrived at the palace with our friend still breathing."

His companion was a short and rather pudgy fellow. He wore a long blue tunic laced with gold edges. His eyes shot to the tent entrance, thinking for a moment that he saw something move in the shadows. Realizing that it was probably just his imagination playing tricks on him, he turned back to his companion. "B-but what if we're caught? I'm beginning to think this was a bad idea..."

"If we're caught then we'll be executed. Simple as that." Captain Forwin shrugged his broad shoulders. "But what do you think our employer will do to us if we back out now?" He shook his head. "You dragged me into this, Hugh. Don't grow a yellow liver on me at the last moment. Honestly, you politicians have no guts."

Hugh looked down and realized he was wringing his paws. He instantly stopped and looked up at the army captain. "O-okay," he said. "But you have to give him the poison."

Forwin sighed. "Fine, then. But remember: don't think that you'll slink away from this. Now that I've resolved to follow along with this scheme, I'll make sure that you'll share the blame." He growled in a low tone. "Understood?" When the other cat nodded, Forwin snorted and mumbled, "Okay, good. Now, where is it?"

Hugh pulled out a small bottle from underneath his blue robe. "I'll leave you to your business then. Make sure you are careful. King Gerald 's kin will be out for our heads!"

"Just shut up and don't worry," Forwin said, snatching the container from the other cat's trembling grasp. "Now leave me in peace."

Hugh was only too happy to comply. Once he was gone, Forwin took a swig of wine to calm his nerves. He then hid the poison underneath his officer cloak. Pulling back the tent flap, he walked out into the open air. Forwin snuck through the camp of sleeping creatures like a shadowy wraith, the wildcat's paws not making a sound. He exhaled quietly as he finally arrived at his destination – King Gerald Ironspear's sleeping quarters.

Ten heavily armed guards surrounded the massive tent. Captain Forwin decided not to bother trying to sneak any further. Standing up tall and proud, he puffed out his chest and strutted up to the sentries.

"I've come to deliver his majesty a message."

"I think he's sleeping, Captain," the senior of the guards replied. "With all due respect, sir, can't it wait until the morning?"

"I'll try not to wake him. My orders were simply to bring him this list." He held up a piece of paper. The list, of course, was absolute nonsense – Merely an excuse to get him past. "I'll just set this down somewhere he'll see it and leave."

The other wildcat sighed, then nodded his head and indicated for his fellow guards to step off to the side.

Forwin couldn't help but shudder as he entered the tent. He was a hardened veteran in the art of war, but what he was about to do was something that he'd never would have dreamt of. But the captain had fallen onto hard times. His promised reward would be enough to pay off all his debts and then some.

The inside of the tent was pitch black, but Forwin's eyes were used to the darkness. A desk and a few tables were set up in the center, and Forwin could make out a dark shape lying on a cot. Tiptoeing silently over to where the king kept his water, he crouched down and, taking off the lid, slipped the potion into the canteen.

There, he thought, Easy as can be. They still had at least half a day of marching left before they would reach the palace. The journey would surely make the king thirsty. With the amount of poison that he put in there, only a few sips would be enough to finish the deed.

He glanced over to the motionless body wrapped up in the blanket on the cot. Sweet dreams, your majesty, he thought with a smirk, then turned around to leave.

His heart missed a beat and his stomach turned ice cold when he caught sight of a creature crouched down in the far corner by the exit, wrapped in a cloak.

"Captain Forwin, what a surprise," the figure said, standing up. As he did, Forwin realized that he was armed with a massive spear and was wearing armor. "And what, may I ask, are you doing with my canteen? If you'd needed a drink, you only had to ask."

Forwin's mouth was dry with fear. The captain's first reaction was to grab for his sword, but then he realized that an action like that would only seal his grave. He gulped shakily, trying his best to remain outwardly calm. "Th-this isn't what it looks like, Sire. Just let me explain..."

"My seer, Sellena, had a vision a few days ago. She told me that something... rather unfortunate would happen to me. I would be murdered."

"M-m-murdered?"

"Mm-hmm." Ironspear took a step forward and sighed. "I'm disappointed in you. I never would have thought you'd do something like this. You've betrayed your honor and your country."

"Please, sire!" Forwin fell to his knees, groveling at the king's footpaws. "Have mercy! I needed the money badly! Some creatures were going to kill me if I didn't repay them! It was Hugh's idea anyway! He made me do it!"

"Silence." King Gerald lowered his spear point. "I wish I didn't have to do this, but you are a traitor, Forwin. And we all know what happens to traitors."

Forwin's eyes widened as he took a shaky step back, fumbling for his sword. The king's weapon shot forward like lightning, impaling Forwin's chest. The captain didn't scream, instead, he looked down with frozen horror at the object that had skewered him. Withdrawing his spear, the wildcat ruler stepped back and watched as Forwin let out one choking cry, then fell over.

"Guards, I want you to find Lord Hugh and contain him. I wish to question him before I give him his fate." He glanced down at Forwin's body. "Let these two be a reminder of what happens when a beast tries to cross my path."

[close]
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!