News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Facebook

Started by Bragoon, January 19, 2012, 12:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bragoon

In the SOPA topic, there arose (or could arise) some discussion about Facebook, so I decided to try to move that over here.

What is your opinion of the site?  Do you use it?  Do you like it?  Why don't you like it?

I use it as a medium to help me keep up with my friends in real life.  I find it helps to keep me updated quicker and easier instead of waiting until I get together with them, which only happens once or twice a week. 

I don't use it for gaming since I think there are better games that I'd rather play elsewhere.
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Melody

I don't have it but my dad does, I say it can only be as good or bad as the person behind the computer.

Icefire

I agree with Melody. There are things I like and things I hate. One of the things I hate is that between the pointless posts, the posts about the dumb (yet somehow addicting) games your friends play, and the random features like poking, you could spend hours on there just trying to get through everything. I know because I've wasted hours on my mom's account. It can also be used to spread gossip at an even faster rate. Now I just get on there to chat with friends that I have no other contact with.
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

DanielofRedwall

My views on Facebook are fairly simple. It's like Martin's sword: it is just as good as the person using it. In a good sense: you can use it to chat to people you haven't seen for ages. But there are lots of bad stuff that happen there. If you stick to the rules and remember cyber safety, you're fine. Just keep an eye out for bad things and don't add anyone you don't know as a friend. Also, I wouldn't recommend using it if you are under the age you have to be to sign up. Our school had a big talk about that because almost everyone in our class had an account and barely any of them were 13. I am 13, but I don't have or want an account. I like being different in that sense. ;)
Received mostly negative reviews.

Melody

that's' what I think as well.

Skipper

I hear all this bad stuff about facebook like cybr bullying but none about twitter etc i hate the pointless posts like 'ive just been shopping' or 'just bought a cookie' etc. I don't own a facebook account

Icefire

Yeah, I don't see how Twitter's any better, but I don't have it so I'm pretty clueless.

The only reason I'd want a facebook account is to talk with those people I don't see on a regular basis in real life.

Dotti

I like that Facebook is so convenient to help me keep in touch with friend that I don't see very often otherwise, but it IS addicting.  I have a time limit on my Facebook account; I'm not allowed to spend more than an hour on it, so that helps.  I don't play any of the games on there, though (mostly because I don't have time!)
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

Bragoon

I'm in a similar situation, Dotti - my mom installed a program called NetNanny on the family computer, which restricts pages you're allowed to see and can restrict how much time is spent on the internet.  My mom has me set at two hours a day, which is good, because it's helped me manage my time on the internet a bit better.
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Melody

I have an unlimited time because I do a lot of study on line but I have to spend it wisely.

Rollo the Baby Bankvole

I don't have it and I don't want it, either. I think it is a good way to communicate with friends, but some people just use it as a way to bully others or just post gossip that maybe the people that are involved don't want others to know about. So, I'm not really a big fan. ;)
I've read Mattimeo, Salamandastron, The Pearls of Lutra, The Taggerung, Triss, Eulalia!, Lord Brocktree, The Legend of Luke, The Bellmaker & The Long Patrol! xD
??Just close your eyes, the sun is going down, you'll be alright, noone

Tiria Wildlough

I want a Facebook account, but I'm only 11. (Why do I have a feeling I need to be 13 to have an account?)
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Matthias720

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on January 20, 2012, 02:27:32 PM
I want a Facebook account, but I'm only 11. (Why do I have a feeling I need to be 13 to have an account?)
Because that's the age you have to be according to Facebook's Terms of Service.

Melody

oh, I'm asking my dad for skype maybe, but I'm old enough to have facebook, I'm just not sure if it's a good use of my time.

Icefire

Quote from: Bragoon on January 20, 2012, 01:22:54 AM
I'm in a similar situation, Dotti - my mom installed a program called NetNanny on the family computer, which restricts pages you're allowed to see and can restrict how much time is spent on the internet.  My mom has me set at two hours a day, which is good, because it's helped me manage my time on the internet a bit better.
Wow! I'm only allowed 2 hours a week! 'course, if I spent any more time online I wouldn't get anything done...