News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Bible Reading

Started by Icefire, March 16, 2012, 03:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What version do you use?

21st Century King James Version
1 (5.3%)
American Standard Version
0 (0%)
Amplified Bible
0 (0%)
Common English Bible
0 (0%)
Contemporary English Version
0 (0%)
Darby Translation
0 (0%)
Douay-Rheims 1899 American Edition
1 (5.3%)
Easy-to-Read Version
0 (0%)
English Standard Version
4 (21.1%)
God's Word Translation
0 (0%)
Good News Translation
0 (0%)
Holman Christian Standard Bible
2 (10.5%)
J.B. Phillips New Testament
0 (0%)
King James Version
6 (31.6%)
Lexham English Bible
0 (0%)
New American Standard Bible
6 (31.6%)
New Century Bible
0 (0%)
New International Reader's Version
0 (0%)
New International Version
4 (21.1%)
New King James Version
2 (10.5%)
New Life Version
0 (0%)
New Living Translation
1 (5.3%)
The Message
1 (5.3%)
Today's New International Version
0 (0%)
World English (New Testament)
0 (0%)
Wycliffe Bible
0 (0%)
Young's Literal Translation
0 (0%)
1599 Geneva translation
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Tiria Wildlough

I was reading a Wikipedia article about polecats, and there was this part about how they evolved. It annoys me that people treat evolution like common info. >:(
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

DanielofRedwall

My personal belief is that some aspects of evolution and the Bible do match up. Obviously there is a lot that doesn't, but some species have changed over the years.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Wot Wot

i like all the bible stories
i generally have no time to read them but i think one of my favourites is where Abraham is ordered by God to sacrifice his son and Abraham's undenyable faith never doubts him for a second.

Icefire

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on March 29, 2012, 09:14:24 AM
My personal belief is that some aspects of evolution and the Bible do match up. Obviously there is a lot that doesn't, but some species have changed over the years.
Yes, that's micro-evolution. A.K.A. Natural selection. There is proof of that, but what most people miss is that it isn't actually evolution as in molocules to man evolution. Natural selection has never led from one species turning into a completely different species. To change one species into something else you need to add information to the DNA, but there is no way to do that. Natural selection and mutations (the two most commonly listed mechanisms of macro-evolution) simply corrupt or remove information.
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Icefire on March 29, 2012, 03:49:43 PM
Quote from: DanielofRedwall on March 29, 2012, 09:14:24 AM
Yes, that's micro-evolution. A.K.A. Natural selection. There is proof of that, but what most people miss is that it isn't actually evolution as in molocules to man evolution. Natural selection has never led from one species turning into a completely different species. To change one species into something else you need to add information to the DNA, but there is no way to do that. Natural selection and mutations (the two most commonly listed mechanisms of macro-evolution) simply corrupt or remove information.
YYEESS!! Someone I met that I can completely agree with! I'm currently going through that very info. in my Biology book (I'm homeschooled so I don't have a class ;D)(The Biology book I'm using is done by a Christian). But back to the topic... I'm going through Romans with my Youth group.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Nightfire

Creationists DO believe in natural selection. Many evolutionists are surprised to hear that. But NS isn't evolution.

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on March 29, 2012, 07:07:54 AM
I was reading a Wikipedia article about polecats, and there was this part about how they evolved. It annoys me that people treat evolution like common info. >:(

And yes, it annoys me too. I can't even watch the Nature channel on my TV, because I sound like a sports fan whose watching his enemy team winning. I'm always shouting "Wrong! Wrong! You are messing up the facts, dude!"

But if we want to talk about Creation vs. Evolution, might I suggest creating a separate thread? This particular thread is titled "Bible Reading."
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Bragoon

Icefire just won the thread.  Well done, madam. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Nightfire

Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Bragoon on March 29, 2012, 05:36:25 PM
Icefire just won the thread.  Well done, madam. 
HUH! how does that work? ???

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Bragoon

It's just a figure of speech.  Icefire explained her (excellent) views very plainly and clearly, in a manner that anyone on the forum could be proud of. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Dannflower Reguba

Oh. Thanks for explaining!

Icefire

Thank you, Bragoon!
I would say we were still on topic as the discussion on Creationism/Evolutionism followed out of the discussion on the Bible. Now if we had switched to a DDB attack or something equally crazy, then we'd have a problem.

Now, I believe the last comment on what someone has learned from the Bible was by Daniel. He was talking about the Prodigal Son Parable. Shall we go back to discussing that?
The thing that blows my mind about that one is God's overwhelming Grace and forgiveness! I mean, the prodigal basically said, "I wish you were dead. Goodbye!" And the Father accepted him without a moment of hesitation. Later, when the older son was showing just as much disrespect, the Father still sought to bring him back into fellowship with Himself.
WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Tiria Wildlough

Yeah, I love that story. It's so awesome. :D
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Redwallfan7

I find the New Testament in the Bible easier to understand than the Old Testament.
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Dannflower Reguba

That's because in the Old testament they spoke differentl.