Grand Fragorl

Started by Eulalia, February 04, 2012, 06:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eulalia

I was reading Lord Brocktree yesterday and i came upon the pat where the Grand Fragorl takes a third of Ungatt Truns hord with her and i was wondering what do you think happend with that amount of soldiers ( it is said that Ungatt Truns hord consisted of over 7500 vermin) if they went north to become another hord or what?
You never know what hit you till it does.

Bragoon

I think it's one of those things that we'll never know about, sort of like where Groddil went.  I think it would be interesting if Groddil tracked down Fragorl and helped her instead, but I suspect that he wouldn't ant anything to do with any of Ungatt Trunn's horde.
Which then leads me to my next point, which is that I would guess that Fragorl's army split up into different groups, due to a lack of powerful and uniting leadership.  Fragorl wasn't very impressive, so a lot of vermin probably dropped off to make their own way.

Also, after reading Lord Brocktree, I decided that I like smaller groups and armies better than huge ones, it just feels a little more realistic and manageable.  Vermin are traitorous and cowardly beasts, so the whole way through the book I kept wondering why some vermin didn't just desert.  With so many vermin in the army, it wouldn't be particularly noticeable if a couple of normal hordebeasts who weren't on guard duty slipped away.  Although he did seem to have quite a few lower-level captains, so maybe they were more involved with their group of hordebeasts.
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Nightfire

Wouldn't this belong better in the Character Discussion? ??? And I would agree with Bragon's idea of what happened.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Matthias720

*MOVED to Character Discussion*

Sheep-From-The-Red-Hill

QuoteWhich then leads me to my next point, which is that I would guess that Fragorl's army split up into different groups, due to a lack of powerful and uniting leadership.  Fragorl wasn't very impressive, so a lot of vermin probably dropped off to make their own way.

Neither was Kurdley but he managed just fine.

QuoteAlso, after reading Lord Brocktree, I decided that I like smaller groups and armies better than huge ones, it just feels a little more realistic and manageable. Vermin are traitorous and cowardly beasts, so the whole way through the book I kept wondering why some vermin didn't just desert.

Their shallow nature may be the exact reason why they stayed. If Trunn would execute you for stealing food, imagine what he would do if he caught you after you deserted.

QuoteWith so many vermin in the army, it wouldn't be particularly noticeable if a couple of normal hordebeasts who weren't on guard duty slipped away.  Although he did seem to have quite a few lower-level captains, so maybe they were more involved with their group of hordebeasts.

Its not unreasonable to think that one of their fellow grunts would snitch on a potential deserter in hopes of a reward.

Bragoon

Kurdly was more so, though.  They all (or almost all) feared "an attack of the Kurdlys", whereas they only cared about Fragorl because she had certain power in Trunn's army so they were used to her leadership, but Kurdly actually did something about insubordination/disobedience in his horde.  Also, Kurdly was pretty big in comparison with his other Brownrats.

I would agree with you on that point.  They didn't have the guts to desert, or to defy his orders to go find any deserters.

That's also a good point.  Most of the vermin smart enough to keep quiet about their desertion probably held at least a somewhat higher rank, considering how many crews, squads, and other myriad groups there were.

Sometimes I don't think about the fact that vermin are, as a rule, stupid, and don't have the sense to be quiet about anything.
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Sheep-From-The-Red-Hill

QuoteKurdly was more so, though.  They all (or almost all) feared "an attack of the Kurdlys", whereas they only cared about Fragorl because she had certain power in Trunn's army so they were used to her leadership, but Kurdly actually did something about insubordination/disobedience in his horde.  Also, Kurdly was pretty big in comparison with his other Brownrats.

Even when he had died, most of the brownrats seemed to treat him with respect. (Until one of the smarter ones pointed out how stupid that was.) All Fragorl has to do is kill a couple uppity hordebeasts and the rest will fall in line, or she could go with the Magger/Plugg approach.

Romsca

Anyone who gets on the forum now have any ideas?

Dante8002

Yes, I do. In Mossflower it said Ripfang conquered all the other pirating ships around him, & the Grand Fragorl probably went pirating and Ripfang's crew slew her. If her crew hadn't already overran her leadership, that is.
Yalahoo!