News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Favorite Heroic Army

Started by James Gryphon, July 15, 2011, 09:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gryphon

This is something of a companion to the "Most Dangerous Horde" topic.

A few examples of heroic armies:

Martin's Army/The Fur and Freedom Fighters (Martin the Warrior)
Leaders: Martin the Warrior, Ballaw de Quincewold, Rowanoak, Queen Amballa, Starwort
Species: Mice, shrews, otters, moles, squirrels, hedgehogs, one owl, one heron
Numbers: About four hundred
Accomplishments: Besieged and destroyed Marshank, killing everyone except for Wulpp and Tramun Clogg.

The Corim (Mossflower)
Leaders: Bella of Brockhall, the Skipper of Otters, Lady Amber, the Foremole, Martin the Warrior
Species: Otters, squirrels, moles, mice
Numbers: Probably several hundred
Accomplishments: Waged a mostly successful guerilla war against the Thousand Eyes Army. Defeated the water rat Gloomer. Rescued Gonff, Martin, Gingivere, Ferdy, and Coggs from Kotir's clutches. Destroyed Kotir by using a catapult designed by the northern mouse Timballisto.

The TRAG (Terramort Resistance Against Gabool) (Mariel of Redwall)
Leaders: Joseph the Bellmaker, Tan Loc
Species: Mice, voles, and shrews
Numbers: Several hundred
Accomplishments: Waged a successful resistance movement that destroyed two ships, Rathelm and Seatalon. With help from Badger Lord Rawnblade Widestripe, Mariel, and co., succeeded in storming Castle Bladegirt and defeating Gabool's corsairs.

An army with no official name
Leaders: Matthias the Warrior, Log-a-Log, Queen Warbeak
Species: Primarily shrews and sparrows
Numbers: Strength of 1,501 in Redwall
Accomplishments: Liberated Redwall Abbey from Cluny the Scourge's horde in Redwall. A tiny part of this group then assisted a slave revolt that destroyed the Kingdom of Malkariss in Mattimeo.

Sunflash's Long Patrol (Outcast of Redwall)
Leaders: Badger Lord Sunflash the Mace, Colonel Sandgall, Captain Hedgepaw, Skarlath
Species: Hares
Numbers: At least several hundred
Accomplishments: Resisted the horde of Swartt Sixclaw; decimated it after receiving help from the nearby squirrel and otter tribes.

The Redwall Defenders (The Long Patrol)
Leaders: Major Perigord, Arven, Log-a-Log, Gurgan Spearback, Skipper of Otters, Foremole Diggum
Species: Mice, squirrels, otters, moles, shrews, hedgehogs, hares
Numbers: 300
Accomplishments: Tricked the Rapscallions into attacking a defensible ridge, instead of a damaged Redwall Abbey. Survived a force over twice its size until reinforcements could arrive.

Cregga's Long Patrol (The Long Patrol)
Leaders: Badger Lady Cregga Rose Eyes, Colonel Eyebright, Sergeant Clubrush
Species: Hares
Numbers: 1,000
Accomplishments: Crushed a Rapscallion army led by Gormad Tunn. Some time later, half of the total Long Patrol then participated in the destruction of all of the surviving Rapscallions in the Battle of the Ridge.

Which of these, or any other good army that you can think of that isn't listed here, is your favorite? I don't think there's much of a skill difference in most of these cases, so it primarily comes down to how you feel about their members or their opponents.

---

I've always been fond of the Corim, and the guerilla war they wage in Mossflower, so they have to come in high on my list... I also really like how organized and detailed Brian Jacques gets with the Long Patrols, though, especially in the book by that name, so I might rank Cregga's #3 on my list.

Also high on my list -- probably #2 -- is the army the Redwallers scrape together in The Long Patrol; this consists of just about every one of the woodlander species, and then some; we also get to see them in action, getting ready for the battle, more than with the other books. I think The Long Patrol contains a lot of Brian Jacques' best writings, when it comes to the military.
« Subject to editing »

Captain Tammo

I can't decide! I really like corim and Cregga's long patrol, but also TRAG. I just can't decide which is best!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

daskar666

The one in Long Patrol is definitely the best.
Slightly off-topic but there seems to be a theme of 300 vs huge army in fiction.
Ie the battle of Helm's Deep in LOTR, the Battle of the Ridge in Long Patrol, Spartans vs Persians in 300.

Osu

From your list, I'd definitely have to say Cregga's long patrol.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Log-a-Log

Quote from: daskar666 on July 15, 2011, 06:44:47 PM
The one in Long Patrol is definitely the best.
Slightly off-topic but there seems to be a theme of 300 vs huge army in fiction.
Ie the battle of Helm's Deep in LOTR, the Battle of the Ridge in Long Patrol, Spartans vs Persians in 300.
That's true I've never noticed that
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Osu

I think that's just the whole even-outnumbered-good-shall-triumph cliche.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Log-a-Log

I really liked the Bark Crew in Lord Brocktree and how they kept cutting off Ungatt Trunn's supplies
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Redwall Musician

I like the Long Patrol in general. I also like Bucko's and Brocktree's army.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Log-a-Log on July 15, 2011, 09:10:43 PM
I really liked the Bark Crew in Lord Brocktree and how they kept cutting off Ungatt Trunn's supplies
I loved the bark crew!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Nightfire

Jukka the Sling's band of squirrels. I don't think it counts as an ARMY exactly, but still...
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Redwall rules

Mines the fur and freedom fighters and how they made a stand to save all the slaves  :)
Yah, go and boil your beak, General Pongo!!!

Said by someone from the book Mattimeo

Redwallfan7

The Fur and Freedom Fighters
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Skipper

I like the CORIM and The Redwall Defenders, they were both cool and i loved the battle in both books

redwallgurl

I love th long patrol and the red wall defense crew but there are other ones I le from other books
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Redwall rules

Well really I can not pick but I have already said what I think
Yah, go and boil your beak, General Pongo!!!

Said by someone from the book Mattimeo