News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Martha's paralysis and Martin's message

Started by Jukka the Sling, October 28, 2013, 08:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukka the Sling

Why did Martin get Saro and Bragoon to go to Loamhedge? Nothing was there anyway. Except for some old rotted wheelchair. Oh, and why wasn't Martha able to walk? And how did she get cured? I want your opinions please!
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah believe it vaz av tae dae aboot confidence.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Jukka the Sling

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Vilu Daskar

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Captain Tammo

According to the redwall wiki, her reason for her condition is never specified, but was possibly due to the trauma of her grandmother's death (she died of exhaustion upon arriving at Redwall Abbey, and she was carrying Martha, who was an infant then, on her back at the time).

WHOA! My 999th post!!! :D
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Redwaller

Martha would not have been cured if Bragoon and Saro had not left. For if they had not left the battle would have gone differently, and Martha's intervention probably would not have happened.

And Tammo took the words from my lips.

Vilu Daskar

Quote from: Redwaller on October 29, 2013, 09:36:10 PM
Martha would not have been cured if Bragoon and Saro had not left. For if they had not left the battle would have gone differently, and Martha's intervention probably would not have happened.

Even the 999th post thing

Ungatt Trunn

I've always thought that that was one of the weaker points of Loamhedge; I'm sure that Martin wouldn't send Bragoon and Saro off on a mission that wouldn't behold anything forthem, let alone send them on a mission that would lead to there deaths. I think that it was just all added in a very unclever way to have something for book filler. If BJ had thought it out more, it would have made more sence if Bragoon and Co to find the medacine instead of having Martha figure out how to walk on her own. And if you think about it in a certain light, BJ, unintentiolly, mind you, insulted those who are wheelchair bound or have some other sort of handicap. In a way, Loamhedge sort of said that a handicap is just a state of mind were you believe that you have a handicap, and that just believing that you can, in Martha's case, walk if you put yourself to it. That, of course, is wrong. Some people really have true handicaps, and they just can't get up and walk just because they believe they can. But Loamhedge basically said that, if you believe that you can, you can overcome any kind of handicap if you just truely try. This can be considred an insult onto those who are handicapped. BJ might not have ment to say that in Loamhedge, but he could have just rewritten it as so that it turned out that Martha's handicap was really a curable desease. It was refrenced that that was possable for creatures with that peticular disease, but the way Loamhedge was written stated otherwise in a rather negative way. So, it appears that Loamhedge has a pretty big gap in its quality of plotting and its message. But besides this, I don't think that Loamhedge is really a bad book; the adventure is great, and the characters are of pure quality. Just keep in mind next time you read it what its pros and cons are.

Life is too short to rush through it.

The Shade

Quote from: Redwaller on October 29, 2013, 09:36:10 PM

Hmm, yes, they probably would have won against the vermin, which would have never formed the situation of the Abbot being in danger... interesting.
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Shadowed One

But because Martin sent them on the quest, they died. So why would Martin send two beasts to their deaths, just to heal someone who was happy just the way she was?
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Shadowed One on October 30, 2013, 10:54:11 AM
But because Martin sent them on the quest, they died. So why would Martin send two beasts to their deaths, just to heal someone who was happy just the way she was?
Sort of what I posted, just you sort of drived the point straite home.  :)

Life is too short to rush through it.

Redwaller

They did choose to die, they could have fled if they had wanted.

The Shade

Quote from: Redwaller on November 01, 2013, 01:14:16 PM
They did choose to die, they could have fled if they had wanted.
That werat might have given chase... although that would be extremely unlikely.
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on October 30, 2013, 02:04:52 AM
I've always thought that that was one of the weaker points of Loamhedge; I'm sure that Martin wouldn't send Bragoon and Saro off on a mission that wouldn't behold anything forthem, let alone send them on a mission that would lead to there deaths. I think that it was just all added in a very unclever way to have something for book filler. If BJ had thought it out more, it would have made more sence if Bragoon and Co to find the medacine instead of having Martha figure out how to walk on her own. And if you think about it in a certain light, BJ, unintentiolly, mind you, insulted those who are wheelchair bound or have some other sort of handicap. In a way, Loamhedge sort of said that a handicap is just a state of mind were you believe that you have a handicap, and that just believing that you can, in Martha's case, walk if you put yourself to it. That, of course, is wrong. Some people really have true handicaps, and they just can't get up and walk just because they believe they can. But Loamhedge basically said that, if you believe that you can, you can overcome any kind of handicap if you just truely try. This can be considred an insult onto those who are handicapped. BJ might not have ment to say that in Loamhedge, but he could have just rewritten it as so that it turned out that Martha's handicap was really a curable desease. It was refrenced that that was possable for creatures with that peticular disease, but the way Loamhedge was written stated otherwise in a rather negative way. So, it appears that Loamhedge has a pretty big gap in its quality of plotting and its message. But besides this, I don't think that Loamhedge is really a bad book; the adventure is great, and the characters are of pure quality. Just keep in mind next time you read it what its pros and cons are.
If we are to accept it as canon then, what's a good explanation that will sort of explain away this problem?