News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Abbot Mortimer: wise protector or peace-loving hippie?

Started by Emperor Ublaz, December 16, 2013, 05:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you find Abbot Mortimer's peacefulness good or annoying?

Great; he is wise to seek peace.
10 (38.5%)
Annoying; he is too over protective and peace-obsessed.
16 (61.5%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Romsca

Tam and Martin

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

i am that is (Matthias)

I said annoying. He was good character, but peace was all he thought about, never self defense.

Kitsune

I didn't answer because he was wise to seek peace in the beginning, but to still seek peace when Redwall was being attacked and when Cluney clearly didn't want peace was foolish and annoying.

Tam and Martin

Quote from: PluggFiretail on January 03, 2014, 05:25:02 PM
I didn't answer because he was wise to seek peace in the beginning, but to still seek peace when Redwall was being attacked and when Cluney clearly didn't want peace was foolish and annoying.
I am agreed with that. Mortimer wanting Redwall to be a peaceful establishment was not wrong of him but when he was faced with battle and had no other but to fight back, and when he didn't fight back, I found him annoying.

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Ungatt Trunn

Life is too short to rush through it.

Vilu Daskar

Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Tam and Martin

clunylooney

This thread triggers me but I'll stay calm. Abbot Mortimer is one of my favorite all time characters in the series. I didn't find him annoying, I found him very respectable and interesting. His peace loving and Matthias's war need clashed really well and interested me immensely.

God it was hard to keep calm!
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Sebias of Redwall

Honestly, I think it was great that Abbot Mortimer loved peace so much, and would do anything to keep it. But I have to say, his choices would sometimes annoy me as a reader, because as a reader I could tell that Cluny was probably not going to change, and that beasts would end up paying dearly if he was allowed to live.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

clunylooney

Quote from: Sebias of Redwall on May 28, 2020, 02:06:17 AM
Honestly, I think it was great that Abbot Mortimer loved peace so much, and would do anything to keep it. But I have to say, his choices would sometimes annoy me as a reader, because as a reader I could tell that Cluny was probably not going to change, and that beasts would end up paying dearly if he was allowed to live.
For a second, I thought you were talking about me! :D I can see where you're coming from. Some of his choices weren't smart and I could see how they could be annoying to people. I was like that when I first read redwall. But I like how his choices fill in to the plot.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Sebias of Redwall

Wait, you thought I was saying you were annoying? Good gracious no!

Quote from: clunylooney on May 28, 2020, 02:17:09 PM
Quote from: Sebias of Redwall on May 28, 2020, 02:06:17 AM
For a second, I thought you were talking about me! :D I can see where you're coming from. Some of his choices weren't smart and I could see how they could be annoying to people. I was like that when I first read redwall. But I like how his choices fill in to the plot.
Yes! I most definitely agree with you about how his choices fit in the plot. That goes for a lot of things. I might find certain individual characters annoying, but absolutely love them for plot-related purposes. I did like Mortimer a lot, though.
Spoiler
And was quite sad when he died.
[close]

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

clunylooney

Also, why does peace-loving hippie = annoying on this post?
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Sebias of Redwall

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!