News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Redwall VS Warriors

Started by Iamthatis, May 07, 2014, 08:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowed One

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on May 31, 2014, 10:18:02 PM
I definitely have to give Warriors some credit for moral ambiguity. That's one of the main things I dislike about Redwall- The heroes are too heroic, perfect, and can do no wrong. The villains are too universally evil, can do no right, and have it in their blood to be as such. My biggest complaint about Redwall is the complete lack of grey, really.
Actually, there are some grey characters, but there aren't a ton of them. Besides, that is part of Redwall's charm, that it is easy to tell whether a character is good or bad just by looking at them.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Starla1431

^ That's not always true though. If I can recall there were two bad hedgehogs; one in The Sable Quean and I think one in Doomwyte. Some voles are bad also and there was a bad log-n-log.

Shadowed One

True, but like I said, there are some grey characters. You would assume the good creatures like hedgehogs and voles would be good, but they aren't always.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

Rusvul

Some gray characters, yes. Some as in less than twenty. In how many books?

Idk. I suppose it's a personal preference, but it's not a 'charm' that I find particularly charming. We are all gray characters, none of us are without flaw or without virtue. There's not a single person in the world who has never been selfish when they could have been virtuous, or virtuous when they could have been selfish. Everyone does good and bad. I have no problem with that, and in my humble opinion, there's no reason to pretend that's not the case.

Shadowed One

You have to remember, it is a story about talking animals. It isn't supposed to be totally realistic.

W0NWILL

No matter if there's a talking animal, a normal human, or Bobby Blorb from the Planet X,  everybody will have flaws. That is pretty much the only consistent thing among everything and everyone other than gravity.

Also, Redwall is better, but Warriors isn't so bad.

clunylooney

Now we're talking! I prefer the first and prequel series of Warriors to the redwall series, but all the other series are below redwall. I feel that redwall is a lot more fun than warriors, but warriors just has such great characters. I have read all of the warriors books from the main series (yes, all 39 of them) and all but one super edition. I have only read 14 redwall books. (I have also read all of survivors and bravelands)
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Sebias of Redwall

I have read all the Warrior books and -while I like them a lot- I must say that Redwall is better written, at least in my humble opinion.
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

clunylooney

Okay, months later and I have finished the redwall series. So, final verdict is ... Warriors. Redwall may be technically better written, and IMO is much more fun than warriors but like I said last time, warriors has better characters. I was thinking about all of the complex and interesting characters in warriors, Mapleshade, Clear Sky and Sol are some examples. They just have more complex and interesting villains in the warriors series, which I prefer to redwall's kind of plain and not interesting villains. Even the villains I love from redwall don't compare to warriors. I still prefer Firestar to literally every main character from redwall (I said main character, not all characters).  Like I said last time, I still prefer the first and prequel series of warriors, they will always be my favorite books. But I do prefer redwall to the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and ABSOLUTELY the fifth series (It was shockingly bad compared to the rest of the series).

So, even though redwall may technically be written better, warriors will always be my favorite book series of all time.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Sebias of Redwall

Yeah. I liked all the other series more than the 5th. Agreed. The 1st is the best (Have you read Dawn of the Clans, though? I loved it). I still stand with what I might have said earlier. Redwall effected more than any other series could probably ever hope to do. Redwall is personally my favorite, though I enjoyed Warriors quite a lot. I could understand if other people like Warriors more, though. It's all a matter of preference.

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

clunylooney

Quote from: Sebias of Redwall on June 08, 2020, 08:21:48 PM
Yeah. I liked all the other series more than the 5th. Agreed. The 1st is the best (Have you read Dawn of the Clans, though? I loved it).
Yes, I have read dawn of the clans. That's what I was referring to when I said prequel series. I even maentioned clear sky:
Quote from: clunylooney on June 08, 2020, 04:31:15 PM
I was thinking about all of the complex and interesting characters in warriors, Mapleshade, Clear Sky and Sol are some examples.
I have read every single warriors book except Squirrelflight's super edition. I liked the dawn of the clans series more than the redwall series but not quite as much as the original warriors series.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Sebias of Redwall

Quote from: clunylooney on June 08, 2020, 09:27:31 PM
Yeah. I liked all the other series more than the 5th. Agreed. The 1st is the best (Have you read Dawn of the Clans, though? I loved it).
Yes, I have read dawn of the clans. That's what I was referring to when I said prequel series. I even maentioned clear sky:
I was thinking about all of the complex and interesting characters in warriors, Mapleshade, Clear Sky and Sol are some examples.
Oh. *Face palms* I must've missed that. And on the subject of Clear Sky... I have rarely felt such strong feeling about a character. I... actually hated his guts, after everything he did (SPOILER: I think he may have been responsible for more named characters' deaths than even Tigerstar [who, btw, I think was a cool baddie, but there are several of those in Warriors] at least during their life spans.) Although, I must admit that the author did a AMAZING job with him. Authors are supposed to draw emotion from the readers and, boy-oh-boy, they succeeded. At least in my case. XD (SPOILER: Also, Gray Wing's death was one of the saddest that I have read.) I also *do* appreciate how Clear Sky drove the plot along and kept things interesting.

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

clunylooney

Quote from: Sebias of Redwall on June 08, 2020, 09:59:43 PM
Quote from: clunylooney on June 08, 2020, 09:27:31 PM
Oh. *Face palms* I must've missed that. And on the subject of Clear Sky... I have rarely felt such strong feeling about a character. I... actually hated his guts, after everything he did (SPOILER: I think he may have been responsible for more named characters' deaths than even Tigerstar [who, btw, I think was a cool baddie, but there are several of those in Warriors] at least during their life spans.) Although, I must admit that the author did a AMAZING job with him. Authors are supposed to draw emotion from the readers and, boy-oh-boy, they succeeded. At least in my case. XD (SPOILER: Also, Gray Wing's death was one of the saddest that I have read.) I also *do* appreciate how Clear Sky drove the plot along and kept things interesting.
Oh yeah, I hated Clear Sky. But then I understood his point of view. Then I liked him. Then I didn't like him. Then I liked him again. And then I hated him again. Then I understood him again. He is a very good and complex character. Never before have I been so unsure about my feelings for a character. That's probably why the prequel warriors series is one of my favorites. Because you had some very interesting and complex characters. You even sometimes dislike the main character Grey Wing) at some points.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me