News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Lord of the rings movies vs. books

Started by Izeroth, August 08, 2014, 07:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izeroth

A big subject of debate among lord of the rings fans is whether the books or movies are best. Personally, I think that the books are better. What do you think about this?

The Skarzs

Books all the way. As cool as the movies are, they books are the things that really immerse you in Middle Earth, and contain so much more content than what is in the movies. (And every time our family watches a movie, we can't stop heckling it. ::) ) Frodo was too wimpy, ARAGORN was too wimpy (the person who played Boromir would have been great actor for Aragorn), Marry and Pippin were too childish, etc.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Mask

Yep the books are better. The movies are good, but the books are better.
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

BlueRose

Books! (However, I LOVE watching the extras on ALL the movies. The miniature work is sooo pretty!)
Was anyone else on the old DAB forum, circa 2009? I was recently reminded of it, lol.

Bitterly jittery, and not very glittery.

Gonff the Mousethief

I LOVE the books, but the movies seemed to have captured more action. Now the hobbit I prefer the book, but LOTR the movies by just a small hair.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Izeroth

The reason I like the books more is because they have more detail than the Movies. Also, the movies leave out a pretty important scene, which is the capture of the shire by Saruman and his ruffians. The movies leave out Tom Bombadil too, but I think he's a fairly pointless character anyway  :P

Delthion

QuoteBooks all the way. As cool as the movies are, they books are the things that really immerse you in Middle Earth, and contain so much more content than what is in the movies.

Completely and totally agree!
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

The Skarzs

Quote from: Izeroth on August 09, 2014, 08:08:49 AM
The reason I like the books more is because they have more detail than the Movies. Also, the movies leave out a pretty important scene, which is the capture of the shire by Saruman and his ruffians. The movies leave out Tom Bombadil too, but I think he's a fairly pointless character anyway  :P
But the whole part in the forest with Tom Bombadil was so interesting.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

saxophone_cat

Quote from: The Skarzs on August 09, 2014, 06:54:13 PM
Quote from: Izeroth on August 09, 2014, 08:08:49 AM
But the whole part in the forest with Tom Bombadil was so interesting.
But did anyone else find him really creepy? I never trusted him and I was happy when they left his house.
The Chinese Fireball, ooooh!

BlueRose

Tom Bombadil is freaking awesome! His nature is a bit weird, yeah, but he's a fun fellow (for bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow!)

(I made a rhyme. :P )
Was anyone else on the old DAB forum, circa 2009? I was recently reminded of it, lol.

Jetthebinturong

He's also strongly implied to be a god, I personally think he's a manifestation of Orome or Eru

Old Tom Bombadil was a merry fellow
Bright blue his jacket was and his boots were yellow
Green was his girdle and his breeches all of leather
In his tall hat he wore a swan wing feather
He lived up under hill where the withywindle
Ran from a grassy well down into the dingle
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Delthion

Definitely not Eru, but Bombadil being Orome would be extremely interesting...
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

BlueRose

Tolkien himself described Bombadil as an 'enigma'.

Izeroth

C. S. Lewis (author of the Narnia series, as well as Tolkiens friend) actually thought Tom Bombadil should be removed because he seperated from the main plot. Tolkien insisted on having Bombadil in the books.

BlueRose