News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Lord of the rings movies vs. books

Started by Izeroth, August 08, 2014, 07:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

Quote from: Izeroth on August 10, 2014, 07:03:14 AM
C. S. Lewis (author of the Narnia series, as well as Tolkiens friend) actually thought Tom Bombadil should be removed because he seperated from the main plot. Tolkien insisted on having Bombadil in the books.
Awesome picture, Ize. ;D
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

BlueRose

Was anyone else on the old DAB forum, circa 2009? I was recently reminded of it, lol.

Bitterly jittery, and not very glittery.

Jukka the Sling

Revive!

With The Hobbit, I prefer the movies. With LotR (although I'm still reading TRotK), I prefer the books. Mostly. Some things I like better in the movies, like the condensing of timelines, the fact that Sam doesn't call Frodo 'Master,' the fact that Frodo doesn't call Sam 'lad,' and the fact that Sam and Frodo seem to be closer in age.

Also, Tom Bombadil is weird.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Jetthebinturong

With the Hobbit, I vastly prefer the book. I also prefer the LotR books to the movies. And yes, Tom Bombadil is weird but anyone powerful enough to consider the One Ring unimportant is awesome in my book
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Izeroth

Tom Bombadil is supposed to be wierd. Even the elves don't know what he is.

The Mask

Like Ize said, he's considered pretty widely to be an omnipotent god. But he is a pretty funny god. ;D
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Lady Ashenwyte

The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Delthion

His wife I believe was supposed to represent the changing of the seasons.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

MeadowR

I do so like the films :D... haven't read the books in quite a few years, but books usually are better for being the 'original' and most immersive. I really need to re-read the books. I remember some parts were a bit drag-y, otherwise most readable.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Lady Ashenwyte

I liked the appendices in the ROTK book.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

White One6193

Quote from: Izeroth on August 09, 2014, 08:08:49 AM
The movies leave out Tom Bombadil too, but I think he's a fairly pointless character anyway  :P

YOU TAKE THAT BACK.

But seriously, though, I can understand why. He pops out of nowhere, does things with the Ring NODODY should be able to do, and then POOF disappears.
"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

The Skarzs

Interesting characters add to the story nonetheless. (It is explained in the book why the ring has no power over him and how he is able to treat it like a normal ring, so I won't go into that here.)
Also, if one may notice, the style of writing has changed significantly over the past century, heck even in the past thirty years, so having someone pop in then out may have been the style.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

White One6193

Quote from: The Skarzs on March 20, 2015, 03:07:16 AM
Interesting characters add to the story nonetheless. (It is explained in the book why the ring has no power over him and how he is able to treat it like a normal ring, so I won't go into that here.)
Also, if one may notice, the style of writing has changed significantly over the past century, heck even in the past thirty years, so having someone pop in then out may have been the style.

Not uncommon at all, actually. In Romantic era fiction (of which LOTR is arguably the last true example) , having a strange, powerful character show up, help the protagonist(s) and suddenly leave is a common mark of the genre.
"Ride for wrath, ride to ruin, and the world's ending!"- King Theoden

RIP Brian Jacques... ET NOMINE PATRI, ET FILLI, ET SPIRITUS SANCTI, AMEN!

Mit Gott, Fur Koenig, und Die Vadeirlandt!

Tungro

The movies were really cool and I heard the books were cool too.
I tried reading them twice now, but I guess it is just not the writing style I like. Maybe i'll write some big review later
(first try I got up to them lost in the forrest)
(second try I got all the way up the near the end of Bree)

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.