News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Are badgers too overpowered?

Started by Ungatt Trunn, December 20, 2014, 10:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ungatt Trunn

So as we all know, badgers are pretty much the strongest creatures in the Redwall universe, only mat he'd by Wildcats. Plus, when they get bloodrage (or bloodwrath, forgot what it was called :P), they become pretty much invinsable.

But really, don't you think badgers are a bit too OP? It just seems like the bad guys don't stand a chance when one badgers can kill like 50 vermin before they go down (if the b the even lasts that long): it's almost seems like an assured victory when a male badger is on the good side. I personally think that BJ should have made them a bit more realistic: I mean, in the sense that they aren't so darn powerful. Yes, they are the strongest creatures in Redwall: but they shouldn't be so strong that not one vermin can do a proper 1 1 without getting crushed in under a second.

Thoughts?

Life is too short to rush through it.

Søren

Well, they are powerful and awesome when they have the blood wrath. But they were mortal. We saw many badgers die throughout the series. So we know that though they may be a tad bit overly powered, they can still be killed one way or another.

I'm retired from the forum

Kitsune

It depends which theory you agree with: the size equality theory or the size difference theory. Many Redwall fans say that all of the animals are roughly the same size, with small differences, and others say that they are in the correct proportions for animals. If you go with the first theory, then yes. Badgers are way to overpowered. It is very unrealistic for them to take out major sections of an army, if not the whole army, just because they are angry. However, if you go with the second theory, then this aspect to badgers is more realistic. The question is, if this is true for badgers, then why do we not see other larger animals capable of doing the same thing, like foxes or wildcats? Of course, they probably would not have the Bloodwrath, but they would still be able to cause a lot of damage.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Soren the Warrior on December 21, 2014, 12:38:11 PM
Well, they are powerful and awesome when they have the blood wrath. But they were mortal. We saw many badgers die throughout the series. So we know that though they may be a tad bit overly powered, they can still be killed one way or another.
Yes, but consider that they can take several dozen enimys down before they finally die...
Quote from: PluggFiretail on December 21, 2014, 05:09:15 PM
It depends which theory you agree with: the size equality theory or the size difference theory. Many Redwall fans say that all of the animals are roughly the same size, with small differences, and others say that they are in the correct proportions for animals. If you go with the first theory, then yes. Badgers are way to overpowered. It is very unrealistic for them to take out major sections of an army, if not the whole army, just because they are angry. However, if you go with the second theory, then this aspect to badgers is more realistic. The question is, if this is true for badgers, then why do we not see other larger animals capable of doing the same thing, like foxes or wildcats? Of course, they probably would not have the Bloodwrath, but they would still be able to cause a lot of damage.
That is actually an intresting theory: the first one seems like it can be logical (I mean, just look at the battle between Gulo and Tam: If Gulo was reallythe size that he is in real life, and Tam is also, then Tam shouldn't have had any chance); but the second one seems like it can also be plausible (for example, the horse in Redwall seemed to have the same size proportions as to all the other creatures). But either way, I'm still sure that even if the second idea was true, that badgers could still be killed quicker.

Delthion

Actually we never do find out what is the strongest creature in the series, a badger never fought a wolverine.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Delthion on December 22, 2014, 03:43:27 AM
Actually we never do find out what is the strongest creature in the series, a badger never fought a wolverine.
But we still know that badgers are pretty darn OP.

Delthion

Yes, but a duel between the two would be pretty cool...
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Delthion on December 22, 2014, 04:23:47 PM
Yes, but a duel between the two would be pretty cool...
Yes: I personally would like to see that...

The Skarzs

Prepare yourselves for when that happens in my fanfic. . .
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

LT Sandpaw

That's true about the wolverine, however badgers are normally trained warriors and wolverines  are just brute force

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

The Skarzs

Badgers are brute force as well. . . Take Sunflash and Gorath: They never really trained. They just tanked the battles and learned fighting through experience rather than training.
Though on average, yes badgers are trained.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Captain Tammo

Of course badgers are extremely powerful! They're like the cave trolls in The Lord of the Rings, but smart! I think that Mr. Jacques helped balance out the overpowered quality of badgers by making them very rare in the redwall world. It appears that only a couple of badgers exist at a single point in the Redwall timeline. So overpowered? Perhaps in some areas, but Mr. Jacques knew how to keep the balance, too :)
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Lady Ashenwyte

They are, but badgers are a pretty rare entity like Tammo said and the Bloodwrath is a bit of a disadvantage, as whoever has Bloodwrath cannot distinguish between friend and foe, and in the case of badgers they might just end up taking out a good chunk of their own army.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

MeadowR

I think I'm all right with the badgers being that bit stronger than other animals; makes the species stand out even more.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Lady Ashenwyte

Well, we always saw heroic, courageous, selfless, and hard-working badgers, I think having lazy, greedy, cowardly, and villainous badgers would flesh 'em up gurtly indeed.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.