News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

The Academic Thread

Started by Skyblade, January 21, 2015, 02:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What year do you graduate from high school?

Already graduated
6 (20.7%)
2015 (this year)
0 (0%)
2016 (next year)
4 (13.8%)
2017 (etc.)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
4 (13.8%)
After 2020
6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Jukka the Sling

@Mhera:  Interesting.  ^_^

@Soren:  ...Wow.  Congrats!
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Skyblade

Thanks, Mhera. I'll keep writing :)

Cool, Soren! :)

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on December 23, 2015, 04:03:46 AM
But you do have to go through training first, which takes about a... year(?) and costs a couple thousand bucks, I think.  Anyway, I don't know what I wanna do. :P  What job do you want?
Okay, well keep thinking :)

I don't know which job I want :P It's why I don't know my major.

Thanks for asking Jukka, quite thoughtful of you :)

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Banya

I'll just say "Sounds great!" to you all because it really does.  You all seem to be in a good place at the moment with regards to your future plans and current academic standings.

In a recent fit of exhaustion (with 18.5 years of schooling behind me already), I considered dropping a major.  This would clear me of extensive foreign language study and allow lighter course loads for the next 3 semesters, as well as enabling me to return to Istanbul next summer.  Lots of pros to dropping a major, but I've made it this far, so as it stands now, I'm keeping my two majors and continuing with my current foreign language, including studying intensively through the summer.  But I can't wait to be done, and the end doesn't seem very near.

Wylder Treejumper

Hmph, y'all are just copying me. I've wanted to go into aerospace engineering since I was 8 years old.

Well, actually I wanted to be a fighter jet pilot, but my vision is terrible and, of course, uncorrectable, so I decided I would design the vehicles rather than fly them.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Banya

I remember your saying that before.  A friend of mine just graduated with a degree in aerospace engineering two weeks ago.

Delthion

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on January 03, 2016, 03:35:32 AM
Hmph, y'all are just copying me. I've wanted to go into aerospace engineering since I was 8 years old.

Well, actually I wanted to be a fighter jet pilot, but my vision is terrible and, of course, uncorrectable, so I decided I would design the vehicles rather than fly them.

I was wanting to do something more along the lines of NASA... ;D
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Hickory

Ha, I wanted to do that to. 'Course, my dad was in the Air Force, as a civil engineer... The interest sort of faded away.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Wylder Treejumper

Quote from: Delthion on January 03, 2016, 06:18:52 PM

I was wanting to do something more along the lines of NASA... ;D
Well, yeah, my interests have evolved over time. Now, I wouldn't mind working for SpaceX (I can't deal with gov. bureaucracy at NASA), and colonizing Mars is my ultimate ambition.

Although I did think about majoring in music... for about 5 seconds.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Delthion

My ultimate ambition is finding some way to travel at the speed of light, or faster, whichever comes first!

Also I really want to see nebulae.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Wylder Treejumper

First: Warpdrive or wormholes are the only possible solution to that problem.

Second:

You can't actually see nebulae with the naked eye, those are filtered by wavelength to have color.
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

Banya

I enjoy stabbing the life out of people's hopes and dreams with the knife of truth, too.

Skyblade

It's painful, but it must be done, I suppose :P

Hickory

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Mhera

Quote from: Mhera on December 23, 2015, 12:56:23 AM
As for current school work, I'm on track to finish up the year (or at least most of it) by the end of next month...
Due life stuff, myself, and a quirk of homeschooling (namely, the ability for more course work to be spontaneously added at the discretion of the supervisor), this did not happen. Not a big deal (it should only be... I don't know, however long it'll take to read and be tested on a couple thousand pages of miscellaneous subjects), but I'm significantly less motivated :P

That said, English (or Literature, or English/Literature (the name isn't important, right? ;D)) has gotten much more tolerable lately. After I had to give the family a rather painful oral summary of The House of Seven Gables, my dad decided I should be reading (his words) "proper literature", suggesting Heinlein instead of Hemingway. Since science fiction wasn't quite what my mom had in mind at the start of the year, a middle ground was found on first The Screwtape Letters and now with The Lord of the Rings. Much better than the The Great Gatsby ;D

(No, we're not making (all) this up as we go along. I assure that there is a method to our madness.)

Skyblade

Yeah, school is tough. English sounds good, anyway :D