News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Academic Thread

Started by Skyblade, January 21, 2015, 02:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What year do you graduate from high school?

Already graduated
6 (20.7%)
2015 (this year)
0 (0%)
2016 (next year)
4 (13.8%)
2017 (etc.)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
4 (13.8%)
After 2020
6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Mhera

@Sage: That was very good :)

Quote from: Banya on September 11, 2015, 12:34:46 AM
@Mhera: Do you think your school load will pick up soon?  Also, what do you mean about the running?
Hopefully. If it doesn't I'll probably just jump ahead myself, though it kinda annoys my mom when I mess with her schedules :P I'm running cross country this year, and the practices are in the afternoon. Given the heat, I push harder than I probably should and pay for it later.

Banya

Quote from: Sagetip, the hare on September 11, 2015, 01:25:42 AM
I don't know. I find myself to be better at short stories, however, then I am at long pieces of writing. (this is why the first, say, five chapter of my first forum fanfic were so unconnected)
Mmm.  They were a little hard to follow, but I think that also had to do with reading them in segments.  That's just how it is. 
You say 'first.'  Does this mean you're writing or have written other forum fanfics?

Hickory

I said first as in it was the first fanfic I'd written, I'm in the process of the sequel right now.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Wylder Treejumper

Quote from: Skyblade on September 11, 2015, 01:10:25 AM
Thank you James, and I know how you feel because I had "junioritis" :P
Then apparently I had 3rdgrader-itis or some such thing. I've been trying to get out of school as long as I've been in it! The only reason I go is because, well, it's awfully hard to support a family without a good education. As much as I would love to go live out in the woods like a wildman... ::)

Anyways, my schedule is crazy. It's supposed to look like this when I come home:
1. Read seminary scripture assignment
2. Do homework
3. Practice violin
4. Go biking/ Go to the pool
5. Write/Work on other skill

Lately it looks like this:
1. Read seminary scripture assignment
2. Do homework
3. Eat dinner
4. Do homework until late
5. Sleep
6. Get up at 5am to do more homework before seminary
7. Do homework in class and at lunch so I can turn it in next period

Etc. It kind of... sucks. But whatever. Two more years. Then I can go relax... on my mission ::)
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Skyblade

Sage, I forgot to answer your question :-[

I enjoy flute, but I've been tired lately and playing an instrument requires energy. Also, the band warm ups are getting repetitive. This is my 5th year playing them ;)

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Hickory

Quote from: Skyblade on September 16, 2015, 08:07:12 AM
Sage, I forgot to answer your question :-[

I enjoy flute, but I've been tired lately and playing an instrument requires energy. Also, the band warm ups are getting repetitive. This is my 5th year playing them ;)
Mmmmm, I found that was the case the the public school I used to go to. Do you have a private tutor?

Skyblade

Ah. Well, playing an instrument in itself is a blessing :) Yes I have a private tutor, and she's the best.

What do you do with your viola? (You play viola, I believe)

Hickory

Good. You can't be accepted into any large important orchestras without a private tutor. (Just saying. It looks good on the resume.)

I don't have a set course for my tutoring, though we get to do plenty of Bach, with some Suzuki mixed in.

Skyblade

Haha :D Do you like viola?

Anyway, AMAZING NEWS. My dad called literally minutes ago. His news? I don't have to retake the SAT! He said he's noticed my stress (no duh ;D) and wants to alleviate it. Since I have my 33 ACT score, I can just use that for colleges. There's no need for both a good ACT and SAT score.

AND GUESS WHAT? I should get a ribbon for overachievement! My parents said I don't have to retake the ACT, but I decided to SO I CAN GET A HIGHER SCORE!

Er, I'm really hyped. I prefer ACT over SAT, to be honest. This is a lot off my back. Maybe my depression will get better.

Wylder Treejumper

HAH! I told you the ACT was better! I took it two years ago.

Oh, by the way, great job! I may have been carried away by my "I told you so" mode... ::)

I'm doing something similar. Ridiculously similar, actually. I also happen to be retaking the ACT. Twice, actually, because I paid to retake it and then found out I will take it again for free through the school... :P

In all seriousness, great job, though! If I remember correctly from my score report, that's 99th percentile!
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Skyblade

Thank you, Wylder! :) I bet you'll do very well. Seriously.

I don't think 33 out of 36 is 99th percentile, but it's nothing to sneeze at.

Wylder Treejumper

No, you're incorrect. I just ran to my desk and got my score report, and it definitely says that a 33 is 99th percentile in the US. Unless test-takers have gotten significantly smarter in the past two years, you're right up there at the top. Show a little more pride in yourself!
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

James Gryphon

I looked the subject up online earlier, and if those sites are accurate, 99th is supposed to be about right.

If PrepScholar is correct, there are only about 5 colleges in the country where 33 on the ACT isn't good enough to give you a chance.
« Subject to editing »

Skyblade

Wow, thank you, Wylder. I truly appreciate it ^-^ What score did you get, by the way? I bet it's great!

Thank you, James :) Well, maybe retaking a 33 is overkill. I am pretty busy, but I might be able to fit in ACT studying :P I'll talk to my school counselor about it; I'll have to make a decision soon.

James Gryphon

« Subject to editing »