News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Crazy Facts and Myths Debunked

Started by Skyblade, February 07, 2015, 01:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hickory

Quote from: Izeroth on February 11, 2015, 12:30:04 AM
Ostriches don't bury their heads in the ground. Birds are smarter than most people give them credit for.  :P
Crows are known to place nuts on a busy street so the car tires crack the wheel open.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Skyblade

Quote from: Blaggut on February 13, 2015, 07:58:43 AM
Why don't we make this the crazy fact and myth debunking thread?

I have some good civil war things that will interest thy sammich.

Sure ;D

Humans don't have specific parts on their tongues for sensing distinct tastes (bitter, sweet, etc.)

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Mhera

The fastest recorded running speed for a human is 27.78 mph.

Izeroth

LT Sandpaw

Some would say rattlers will rattle every time something approach's. This isn't true, I have come across two unexpectedly at two different times and neither began rattling until I started beating their heads in, Then it was rattling.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Izeroth on February 11, 2015, 12:30:04 AM
Birds are smarter than most people give them credit for.  :P

Yes, they are.

Commercial meat chickens are bred so that they grow so fast, they don't live long. At all. Their hearts simply can't keep up. So it's really doing them a kindness to kill and eat them, but WHY WERE THEY BRED LIKE THAT IN FIRST PLACE?!?!?!?!?! *Cries*

Eulaliaaa!

I've heard they grow so fast they can't stand. Their legs are still small and they can't move...
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Izeroth

Natural selection at work. The "best" chickens were the ones people bred and raised.

Myth debunked: the first American settlers didn't build log cabins. Being mostly English, they built brick houses and wooden frame houses. The log cabins came with the arrival of Scandinavian settlers.

The Mask

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on February 22, 2015, 02:16:13 PM

Some would say rattlers will rattle every time something approach's. This isn't true, I have come across two unexpectedly at two different times and neither began rattling until I started beating their heads in, Then it was rattling.

Why were you beating their heads in?
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

Hickory

Quote from: Mhera on February 22, 2015, 02:38:41 AM
The fastest recorded running speed for a human is 27.78 mph.
Humans can run the loop-de-loop at a speed of 8 miles per hour.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

LT Sandpaw

Quote from: The Mask on February 23, 2015, 05:53:42 AM
Quote from: LT Sandpaw on February 22, 2015, 02:16:13 PM

Why were you beating their heads in?

Because they kill cows sheep and horses and dogs, need I go on. Their a really dangerous pest that must be eliminated.

Jetthebinturong

That's a little brutal. Humanity ruins animals lives, it's only fair that they get to try and ruin ours, no?
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Mhera

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on February 23, 2015, 07:49:23 PM
That's a little brutal. Humanity ruins animals lives, it's only fair that they get to try and ruin ours, no?
LT forgot the part where a rattlesnake bite can very easily kill a human. Realize that if he was close enough to bop their heads then he was probably close enough to get bitten, in which case the bashing was warranted.

Jetthebinturong

He didn't mention being in danger of being bitten. Rattlesnakes don't rattle every time something approaches, they rattle when they feel threatened and are about to attack. Since they weren't rattling, they didn't see Sandpaw as a threat and he was in no danger OR he ambushed them
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

LT Sandpaw

They were sunning themselves on a rock, :P That being said they weren't rattling until after I started smacking them so technically Jetts right however I doubt you've had the chance to see what these things can do to animals and people so I'd say I it was in my right to kill them.
I usually let snakes live not being particularly afraid of them however Rattlesnakes and Copperheads are the exception and will be killed on sight.

Placing your car keys on your head actually helps and increases the range of the signal, :P don't ask me how it just does.